Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey DDM, is there any new information regarding the MP62 Supercharger Kit or when it will be available for sale again? The last info I have was posted on 12/23/15 in my MP62 VS Rotrex Pro/Cons thread (post 3); "The MP62 new prototype outlet manifold should be here in a couple weeks and if that validates out well then we will start back with the MP62 kits also."

BTW, thanks for your continued support and the products supplied for the Kappa platforms. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Red, I completely forgot about that post. Since I think my subject line better states the question I'll include DDM full reply.

I can clear some of this up hopefully on here.

- There is a current waiting list for the supercharger kits.

- You DO NOT have to be on the list to purchase one of the kits when they become available, once they are available again anyone can purchase at any time. We have plenty of production parts coming in to take care of everyone.

- We do not have complete control over the length of time it has taken to redesign all of the parts for the kit. For this kit we are doing our first aluminum castings and the molds take time to make and are also very expensive to make. So we made sure to get several rapid prototypes made up of the parts we are casting to make sure that everything was going to fit before sending the final ok to have the aluminum castings made. Every time we had to have a rapid prototype made of the parts, it took about 4 weeks to get those prototypes back, then we could make a change, and another 4 weeks until the next prototype and so on. We had to do this for several parts and some parts could not be prototyped until the other part was complete.

- Yes, the Slingshot has taken off for us and we are devoting a lot of energy and design toward that platform. That does not mean that we are abandoning development on the Kappa, we have several new products for them being introduced soon.

- This redesign has taken longer than anticipated, we thought we would have been done a long time ago, but some things do not go as planned. Prototypes and parts were promised to us on certain dates and that did not happen, which pushes back again the prototyping and development of other parts.

- In my facebook communication to "Healix" I said it may be a "week, month, year,etc" since we do not know if there is going to be another bump in the road with the redesign of this kit. We have a lot of money tied up in the complete redesign of the kit and want to get it back to market as fast as we can, while making sure it is also a better kit than we have ever produced before. I am going to stress again that this kit is not for sale at this point, we have no exact date that this kit will be back on sale, just that it will be on sale again. Giving deposits, etc will not speed up the development or production of this kit.

- The supercharger kit will be re-introduced when we are ready with it and only at that point. I am not going to give anymore estimates on that date since it seems to have caused a lot of grief with a couple people at this point.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you about the supercharger kits.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
DDMs above response makes it clear that there will be no comment made until this product becomes available, however DDMs response was posted on 7/26/16, which makes it 10 months ago! I'm starting to lose hope. I know I could call and ask, however the above DDM message also states that there is a waiting list, so I think others would like to know the status of this project.

DDM if you are reading this, has any progress being made, or has this project been dropped?

Full disclosure, I cannot say for a fact that I would buy this if it was suddenly available, but I also know that you can't consider a modification if it isn't available.

I understand DDMs Rotrex is currently available, however in my MP62 vs Rotrex thread the MP62 boost is available at low RPM, whereas the Rotrex builds power the higher the RPM is pushed. I'm thinking I'd be more comfortable w/the former rather than the latter.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Considering you and me are the only ones asking questions, I think we might have the answer. If there's no demand for a product then there isn't much incentive for DDM to bring this to market. Not to mention DDM interest seems to have shifted to the Polaris Slingshot, MINI, Ariel Atom, Chevy Sonic, and Mazda Miata. As it is now it's the Rotrex supercharger or nothing for the 2.4. I was going to ask on DDM Facebook page, but you can't post questions, just comment on postings.

·
Vendor
1,388 Posts
Right now the Rotrex unit is our main focus. We really like it for a lot of reasons - It makes more power at the same pressure, it has a built in oiling and oil cooler for the supercharger, it is nice and linear on the power delivery and it is lighter and smaller than the older MP62 units. Development is still going on with the Solstice/Sky for us, but just much slower than before, obviously being a dead platform a lot of companies are focusing on other vehicles. The Kappa though still makes up a lot of our sales and we intend to keep supporting the community and introducing products, just at a little slower pace.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Right now the Rotrex unit is our main focus. We really like it for a lot of reasons - It makes more power at the same pressure, it has a built in oiling and oil cooler for the supercharger, it is nice and linear on the power delivery and it is lighter and smaller than the older MP62 units. Development is still going on with the Solstice/Sky for us, but just much slower than before, obviously being a dead platform a lot of companies are focusing on other vehicles. The Kappa though still makes up a lot of our sales and we intend to keep supporting the community and introducing products, just at a little slower pace.

Hope that helps,
Dave
I'm not looking for a supercharger, but thanks for supporting the Kappa community, Dave.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts