Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

DDMWorks Brace Bundle Effectiveness

9K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  LIL SOL 
#1 ·
Would anyone care to comment on what if any handling improvement I can expect from installing the DDMWorks Performance level brace bundle on my 2007 GXP? I have no upgrades other than new EBC brakes with 100,000 miles on my daily driver. Thanks for the help

#2 ·
OK - this is really a question where I have to say a search will answer the question. Hundreds of posts on this.

My opinion though, is that adding the backbone and probeam gives a 'night and day' improvement. Adding the front brace improves it a little more, but not nearly as great as the other two. Better, safer, more controllable cornering in the wet and dry. HIGHLY recommended.

#3 ·
Would Pontiac tested a similar product on our cars if the didn't believe it would make a difference? They did put them on a few of the GM supported racing Sols early on if IIRC.

Before I purchased mine I spoke with the engineer that designed the suspension on the Kappas...he told me that if you are just a daily, nonagressive driver, then you won't feel much difference. But, if you are one that enjoys taking the backroads and the twisties, then you see a much improved handling.

#4 ·
Ah, but that engineer took those words back once he tried the brace! As TS says, lots of posts and nothing but great comments. The difference is much more than noticable.

I differ with TS on the front brace. Did a ton to reduce understeer.

#6 ·
I have a pro-beam and backbone. I had the backbone installed in 2010 and that alone made a difference with my NA. I had the pro-beam installed 2 years ago and that made an even bigger difference.

This is good stuff and I think anyone would recommend these!

#12 ·
Ah, then I agree. From what I understand, the two rear braces are comparable. However, the DDM is a much easier install.

Rereading your post, I agree that if you don't take your car on the backroads and twisties that you probably won't notice the difference from installing any of the braces. They help when turning, not on straight lines. However, you don't have to try very hard on these roads to notice a big difference.

#13 ·
If you want to close the rigidity of the frame you need to install all three.
If you want for the car to handle at is best, then you need to add the other pieces.
Those are the ZOK sway bars and either the ZOK springs setup or a coilover setup.
Lastly an upgrade to the tires with a set of Ultra High performance tires.

#15 ·
I highly recommend the probeam if you do nothing else. The probeam helps all the time. I first noticed an issue with the rear suspension while accelerating up the on ramp on the freeway on my way to work in the morning. They had replaced some of the paving and it left small inconsistencies in the road surface. Under full throttle, as I traversed this slightly uneven pavement, I noticed that the rear end of the car was not exactly behaving badly, but it was moving around in a manner that was unpredictable. Kind of a random oscelation around the center of the car. I did not like it.

I went onto the forums and found a discussion about this phenomenon and soon after Dave of DDM works came on and described the probeam development effort. As soon as they were available I bought one and put it on my car. I noticed a huge improvement immediately. And its not in cornering its in how the car reacts to sudden, repeated and random inputs to the rear suspension. The difference was very noticable.

So as a test I bought a second one and installed on my wife's Sky. I did not tell her and frankly I did not expect her to even notice. I mean . ..

To my surprise, after making her daily commute to work on the next Monday she came home and asked "What did you do to my car? It drives better."

There you have it. On daily commutes, on freeways and surface streets the probeam makes a positive and very noticable improvement.

I bought two backbones. I put one on my car as soon as I got them. It stiffened the car up some but the difference was no where as noticable as it was when I installed the probeam. Is it worth the money? Yes. But I have yet to install the second backbone on the wifes Sky. I will, and I will be glad I did but its not a huge difference.

I have no knowledge of the cross brace. It looks cool but will not fit my car. And the wife would smack me around if I put it on her car so . . .:thumbs:

#16 · (Edited)
Rob.
The Venom Brace (from DDM) would not be visible on your wife's car and it will also improve the overall feel of the drive.

PS: I send a long time ago another design to Dave for the V8 cars. It was the Venom Brace but with some changes so it would fit the V8 swaps.

#18 ·
Do you have a picture so I can see what it looks like? The ones I saw from Dave bridged the front end over the motor.

Thanks

#17 ·
Thanks for the help

It seems the consensus is that the upgrades are valuable with the greatest improvement being felt during hard driving. I failed to note that I have Continental Extreme Contacts DWS tires installed. Thanks again for the help.

#21 ·
It seems the consensus is that the upgrades are valuable with the greatest improvement being felt during hard driving. I failed to note that I have Continental Extreme Contacts DWS tires installed. Thanks again for the help.
I noticed a difference in mine with daily driving, but my car had a hard ride.

I have Continental DW tires...the summer version of the DWS.

#22 ·
I had DDM install the probeam & venom brace just before last years Nationals. I had already installed the backbone. The difference on the twisties was quite noticeable. The car seemed tighter and easier to handle as we raced through the various runs last year. Next to the exhaust upgrade this has been my best purchase.
Oh and best of all, the venom brace comes in yellow. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.