Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have a SC on my 2.4, I am stuck with no choice but to go with the Cross Bay Brace for added front rigidity. My question is, what are the noticed differences between the two? Has anyone tried one or the other to be able to say which helped more? Just curious. I'm still hoping Dave will find a way to fit a LV Brace for us loyal SC folks.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
I have the cross-bay brace, but I've not directly compared the two. When LV's brace came out I asked about pros-cons and the consensus was they would affect the car about the same.

Cross-bay advantages are that it looks much cooler. Disadvantage is you need to unbolt the top bar to work on certain thing at the front/top of the engine.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
I have the cross-bay brace, but I've not directly compared the two. When LV's brace came out I asked about pros-cons and the consensus was they would affect the car about the same.

Cross-bay advantages are that it looks much cooler. Disadvantage is you need to unbolt the top bar to work on certain thing at the front/top of the engine.
My reaction was completely opposite to yours. When I work on an engine the last thing I want to have to do is first remove a bunch of clutter to get at it. The look of the cross bay brace turns me off, while the LV brace does the job without being intrusive in the limited engine bay space. Install and forget it.

The difference must be the eye candy factor but as I said, that means zip to me.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Well... generally I'm not that fussed myself about the eye-candy factor, especially under the hood. But I got mine when it was the only thing available.

Like I said, the disadvantage is having to "remove a bunch of clutter" but having said that, I haven't had to remove it yet :). Still, was trying to provide a fair assessment for someone that asked the question and who doesn't have an alternative (like I didn't at the time).

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Yeah, I declined to use the unwieldy version and then when the better, simpler version became available, jumped on it.

To the OP - I would not do this as a first chassis mod - only once you already have a Probeam and Backbone.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I declined to use the unwieldy version and then when the better, simpler version became available, jumped on it.

To the OP - I would not do this as a first chassis mod - only once you already have a Probeam and Backbone.
I already have the Probeam. Backbone is going to be purchased this summer for sure.

Sounds like if they do the same job. I like eye candy. lol It's just a shame it costs so much more. But I understand that it has more metal and would thus cost more.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
I think that the LV brace does just as good a job, costs less and that you'd be cursing having the other one in there if you do your own work on the engine, or cursing having to pay the mechanic for an extra half hour's work before he could start his proper job, if you don't do your own work.

I'd suggest that a new set of shocks and springs would be a much better use for money, or if you want eye candy, you can spend the money with DDM and get a nice powder coated cam cover and IC tubes and no one will notice anything else under the hood.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
you'd be cursing having the other one in there if you do your own work on the engine, or cursing having to pay the mechanic for an extra half hour's work before he could start his proper job, if you don't do your own work.
Jeez, let's not take this to extremes. It's 4 nuts/bolts at each end of the crossbar and very easy to get at and do. Hardly world-shakingly onerous.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
LV states that his design has equal performance rigidity to the original DDM brace. Yes the DDM brace is in the way, and yes it is onerous to remove. The nuts are well placed, where a long wrench won't get them, but a shorty can. The screws want to fall under the engine, and you may have to also take the vertical braces off for some work, so you'd double the work. Cutting the fender wells is a problem for some and there are possible interferences with the PS reservoir in its original location.

All that said, its the one that fits with the DDM stage 2 kit. The LV brace occupies space required for Intercooler and pipes.

And - Sorry Bill - it looks way cooler than the other.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Yes the DDM brace is in the way, and yes it is onerous to remove. The nuts are well placed, where a long wrench won't get them, but a shorty can. The screws want to fall under the engine, ...
Tip: Mount the nuts/bolts the other way round, with the bolts inserted from the inside. Then the nuts are easier to handle (catch) and have full open access with a socket wrench and the bolt heads can be held steady with a simple allen wrench jammed up against the inside of the brace.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
To the OP, please check with Dave and see if he has a fix to the SC so the LV Venom brace can work with his SC.
As you all know DDM now has full rights to my design and has been selling them for a while.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate the replies.

I do my own work on the car. I don't mind a few nuts and bolts. Besides, if I had to do any major work on the car I'd be more concerned with the time it will take to take off the SC than the beam. lol

Anyone have any cross bay brace pics?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Google...

One with a supercharger:

One with - not actually sure :lol: ...

·
Registered
628 Posts
A GXP with Aftermarket Turbo (PTE5557B) with one

I just wanted to be involved!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I guess that's the Solstice version of the spreader bar that us C3 vette guys install. I would like to know if the backbone really makes that much of a noticible difference and if the $99 one is good or should I go with the middle or big one. for me, I do light driving but do have 2 turns on my 2.2 mi trip to work that I take pretty fast and sharp.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The race brace, the cross brace and rebar make the car a wholly different beast

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
That's for sure RACER-X, I agree. Oh hey! Congrats on the sale of your sol.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
If you have a 2.4 then the $99 will be fine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts