Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the sizes of the extended lug nuts that come with the DDMWorks Front Big Brake Kit? I got my kit last year and finally found the time to install everything, and realized I didn’t know there’s supposed to be a different set of lug nuts with the stock wheel Install Kit. I called DDMWorks and left a message, but haven’t received a reply yet. So, just in case I have to buy replacements, what are the sizes of the extended lug nuts and how are they designed differently than the standard lug nuts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From the lack of answers so far, I’m guessing not many have installed the DDMWorks Big Brake Kit? The calipers in the kit are 4 piston calipers and are bigger than the Solstice calipers. They would rub against the back of the rims if installed solo, so a 3/16” extension is necessary, meaning 3/16” less bite for the lug nuts. Since the standard lug nuts are bell shaped at the bottom, I’m assuming the replacement “extended lug nuts” that are an add-on to the kit are designed differently in order to get more bite for safely holding the rims, especially with the harder braking abilities.

And just found a pic of them on DDMWorks website - not sure how I missed them before. They look to be extended about 3/16” below the bell, answering my question… Cheers!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
not knowing how the big brake kit installs... IF it uses the stock hubs, and the rotor (if there is a new rotor) just slips on the stock studs and there is a new bracket to attach the new calipers, then it should be a simple matter to just press out the old 'short' studs and install longer ones. no need for longer lug nuts (although i don't know how 'longer' would work)

that is what i did many years ago when i converted the front drum brakes on my 62 corvette to 65 disc brakes.

Bill
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake Locking hubs

·
Registered
342 Posts
I never was a big fan of extended lug nuts. As long as thread engagement is the same or greater than the diameter of the stud you will be OK. If it isn't I would get longer studs before extended lugs. I don't think it is as vital with our cars as much as others but I would still follow my gut and just press in new studs.

·
Registered
603 Posts
FYI - you have to remove the hub from the knuckle to install anything longer than the stock studs.

Reactions: CrimsonChain

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not because of the big brake kit, but just to install 15mm spacers to get a better stance along with H&R springs, I installed longer studs (Miata) and used the stock lug nuts. It could be something you may want to consider instead of the longer lug nuts. Good luck with the install.

Studs (no spacer):
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake

H&R's w/spacers:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Following up on this one:
Talked with the good people at DDMWorks, and they’re shipping out a set of extended lug nuts today. Once they get in, I’ll give them a whirl and report back on this thread. Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts