Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's getting close people! just curious.....who is going to de-badge the solstice? are all the badges coming off or just some? what's the best way to get them off-any favorite methods? any photoshoppers feel like showing us before and after?

·
Registered
137 Posts
GradSoulStice said:
gm badge is coming off... probably use the fishing line technique
Forgive my ignorance??? What is the "fishing line technique"? :confused:

:cool:

·
Registered
137 Posts
GradSoulStice said:
using fishing line to cut through the adhesive on the back of an emblem
Thanks HGradSoulStice. I thought that was what you meant but wanted to be sure.

I assume that this approach will not mark the clear coat? :cool:

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
I've used the motorized "erasers" you can get at an auto paint store to remove vinyl lettering. That might be an easy way to get the adhesive off. I'm not sure if it would be adviseable to let your paint cure for a month or so first.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hair dryer

I used a hair dryer on a medium setting and a flat wood stick - after warming up the emblem and a little pressure it will peel right off. Did my Yamaha that way and it looks great. If you decice to do it, do it soon as the sun will fade the paint around it just enough to see it if not done early. :cool:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Far be it for me to question anyone's motives when I've got 4 non running project cars and I continue to buy more...

But I've really got to ask, why on earth would you want to strip the Solstice of it's badging? Are you guys that emberassed of it being a Pontiac?

For me, that's partly the reason why I ordered one.

:(

Actually, I guess that would be THREE non running project cars (after looking at my list).

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not embarrassed at all- but the car has such nice lines that it might look even better without some of the emblems applied. i think the concensus is that the little square 'GM' emblem on the lower side panels was pretty much an afterthought and isn't integrated into the design of the car. the front fascia might look cleaner without the emblem, but i think the emblems by the side 'scoops' work well visually.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i know..there's an angel on my other shoulder telling me i'll regret not keeping it original as it was delivered from pontiac

·
Registered
137 Posts
I see it all now...

"Removing the GM Badge will void the car warranty." ;)

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
82-T/A said:
But I've really got to ask, why on earth would you want to strip the Solstice of it's badging? Are you guys that emberassed of it being a Pontiac?

For me, that's partly the reason why I ordered one.

:(
Only gonna remove the GM badge for me. Putting a GM badge on a Pontiac is like throwing a Viacom sticker on MTV. It's just plain stupid. Plus, in every picture it looks like road dirt or chipped paint.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think debadging was discussed at length in a thread awhile ago. I think it can improve the looks of certain cars. IMHO I think the GM badge has got to go, but Im ok with leaving the others.

I heard the hairdryer technique more commonly suggested than others.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
cdb said:
not embarrassed at all- but the car has such nice lines that it might look even better without some of the emblems applied. i think the concensus is that the little square 'GM' emblem on the lower side panels was pretty much an afterthought and isn't integrated into the design of the car. the front fascia might look cleaner without the emblem, but i think the emblems by the side 'scoops' work well visually.
Doubt you could get rid of the front pontiac crest - the fascia appears to have a "boss" in the shape of the emblem that would look kinda weird with no pontiac crest on it...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yep, GM emblem has to go :(

My other vehicle has it and it looks just fine under the other emblems and it will stay. Like others have said it just looks so after thought on the Solstice and totally messes up the door lines. Other then that everything stays!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts