Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to install my fourth foot rest.:banghead: This last one has lasted just a couple thousand miles. I even tried lessening the lack of structural strength by filling the space beneath it with a couple of taped zip lock bags full of unpopped popcorn. All that did was change where it broke so it broke the mounting tabs instead of along its length.
Has any one had the trouble I've had?

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
My stock '06 plain black dead pedal is fine...just a bit faded.

The new/used dead pedal with brushed aluminum ribs on it was cracked in several places. I reinforced those areas on the inside with fiberglass cloth strips and seems to holding up so far.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Dave, Your problem is obvious, your legs are too long. You need to cut about 6" out of your shins. That should do it. :lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That is one option but I'd rather keep my shins showroom stock and not sure I'm ready for mods that radical. ;) But you're right, I am pretty sure the root cause of the problem is two fold. #1. I'm 6'-4". #2. I carry my cell phone in my left front pocket and if it rings while driving, I probably exert more pressure on the peddle extracting it than it was designed for. But an engineering solution is preferable to behavior modification.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Instead of allowing the dead pedal to flex and crack, wouldn't it be better to back it w/something solid to stop it from flexing.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, one made completely out of metal would be definitely preferable but the only ones I've found online are appearance pads that glue to the plastic structure. Thinking of trying to fab one out of fiberglass (as soon as I find my round-to-it).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts