Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post after lurking since 2008. I have a 2007 GXP, stock with no mods except for a lighted wind screen installed in 2008, and 36K miles. I just replaced a bad battery and after the battery replacement my radio is completely dead, no chimes and no turn signal sound. Everything else seems to work. I searched the forums and saw this was a recurring issue, but found no solution ever listed. I tried pulling and replacing the fuses, but that was no help and the fuses for the radio and amp looked good when I pulled them anyway.

So is the radio dead, or is there a way to bring it back? If it’s truly dead I will upgrade to a modern in dash receiver, but would prefer not to if there is another solution.

Anybody out there ever revive a ‘dead’ radio?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DaveOC. I read through that one before posting as well. There are a few ideas there, but nothing that works.

So the question is still out there, has anyone revived a dead radio?

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
You may need to go to the dealer in case the software/firmware thinks this is a new radio and the dealer needs to reprogram it.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
You may need to go to the dealer in case the software/firmware thinks this is a new radio and the dealer needs to reprogram it.
Just a thought.
The anti-theft "identity" is stored in the radio itself. If you put in a new radio (with a blank identity) the radio itself is what sets the anti-theft coding upon initial install (no dealer involvement required).

Now it could be that the EEPROM inside the radio has become corrupted, in which case a visit to the dealer might fix the issue, but I think that less likely than just it's the radio has gone belly-up. If you are a real masochist, more info on EEPROM here ( :) ) https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/making-your-hhr-recognize-new-radio-49106/

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I had to look that up. EEPROM (also written E2PROM and pronounced "e-e-prom", "double-e-prom" or "e-squared-prom") stands for electrically erasable programmable read-only memory and is a type of non-volatile memory used in computers and other electronic devices to store relatively small amounts of data but allowing individual bytes to be erased and reprogrammed.

EEPROMs are organized as arrays of floating-gate transistors. EEPROMs can be programmed and erased in-circuit, by applying special programming signals. Originally, EEPROMs were limited to single byte operations which made them slower, but modern EEPROMs allow multi-byte page operations. It also has a limited life for erasing and reprogramming, now reaching a million operations in modern EEPROMs. In an EEPROM that is frequently reprogrammed while the computer is in use, the life of the EEPROM is an important design consideration.

Unlike most other kinds of non-volatile memory, an EEPROM typically allows bytes to be read, erased, and re-written individually.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually wrote a fair amount of GM radio and HVAC software through the 2000 models and I am pretty sure this is not a EEPROM issue (we pronounce it 'double E prom' or just 'E squared' as in "Did you check the E squared?" Even with a corrupted EEPROM the unit should power up and show something on the display.

Is there a master ground line for the radio that ever has issues? Since it happened at battery change it's either something that came loose or a surge that somehow fried it, even though the fuses were fine. Interestingly there are other Solstice owners who have experienced exactly the same thing.

·
Administrator
9,697 Posts
Have you checked the fuse to the on-star module?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts