Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new to this forum, although I have read posts in the past. Here is what happen today, dealer called me(I spoke to him last year) this afternoon to give me the first shot at the first 5 that will come to his dealership of the the first 1000 program. Right now, I am number 1 if I want to be. I was also told that GM will not let the dealers sell above list price.
Base price is $19,995. He did not know all of the options or options packages that will be offered. Could not confirm all of the colors being offered at this time, but said info is coming though. I know the manual trans is stock, any word about the auto trans being considered??? I know that the Sky will have the auto trans from the start. Also did not ask him about about Supplier discount, so don't know what his view is on that. Also said that I could probably have it in mid-June. Also told me that the 1st 1000 will have special serial numbers and badges to tell from the rest!!!!
Comments welcome, or any other additions that you may have heard..................................................................Tom :) :) :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
welcome sssroadster. Yup that's pretty much the story we've been hearing since last night from a few other people too. No news on auto trans, doubt it will be to start with, probably added early next year when Sky starts to roll.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
How many threads do we have on the dealer news of the 1st 1000?

Gad you all are on your way to getting the Sol!

I wonder how many new members we'll get this week due to the news?

Haven't seen GTOJ, whaaassssuppp?
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
jimmyo said:
He's probably busy answering the phone and answering all the Solstice questions.
:cool:

true true, he already knows he's got all of us on the hook :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
in depth details of the first 1,000 program have not been released yet. It appears to me the customer is responsible for going to the website after the Apprentice show on the 14th to order the car. Instructions are going to be given during the Apprentice. However, this is what I read into it, and I could be wrong. It should be stated though, that EVERY dealer who signs up for the early order program (yes, it is an optional program and does cost money to sign up) has a cap of 5 cars they can order from the early order program. They are NOT guaranteed to get 5 cars, in fact I bet many will not get any because there are FAR more dealers than cars to go around. So if a dealer tells you they are getting 5 of the first 1,000, they are misinformed. They don't know how many they will be getting yet. Dealers got the info of the first 1,000 program on Friday the 4th, and I signed up for it as soon as the information was recieved in the mail. Our first one is 100% sold, has been for at least 2 years now, with about 4 others on the list to be notified when the car is available to order. The info we have so far states the first 1,000 are to be sold at MSRP. No supplier or employee discounts allowed. They have to be pre-sold orders (no stock orders allowed) and the customer has to have put down a deposit at the dealership.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
eatoninside said:
in depth details of the first 1,000 program have not been released yet. It appears to me the customer is responsible for going to the website after the Apprentice show on the 14th to order the car. Instructions are going to be given during the Apprentice.
Thanks eatoninside, that's the way my dealer was reading it too (although things seemed a bit sketchy to him too). Hopefully that's only the website they are giving out the night before and not the whole information package (colors, options, prices etc.) otherwise we'll have very little time to final plan what we want to order.

How does what we do on the website tie back to our dealer? Is there an account # or something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
Grimace said:
Everything is expensive on a BMW.

Typically it adds $750-1500 to the price of a car.
...and then the gas-guzzler tax of $1500 that was mentioned at the bottom of the Solstice site for automatics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
I can't imagine a 4 cylinder Solstice getting a gas guzzler tax when even the C-5 Corvette does not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Internet ordering

When the new Mini Cooper was introduced, I recall you had to place an order over the internet and designate the dealer you would take delivery from. There was a special badging and a few extra options included but you could not order the Cooper S. I don't think you were able to option it out and those Mini Cooper's I know have a long list of available options.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
My chances

I live out in the country and have ordered Pontiacs from my dealer on a regular basis. He is by no means a high volume car dealer. What are my chances of geting a Solstice through him? Should I forget about it, go to a big city, high volume dealer and do it that way? Anyone with some info on my situation?

Oh yes, my dealer said he was able to get one of only about 4,000 Firehawks made last year with the automatic transmission.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Blk37Special said:
I live out in the country and have ordered Pontiacs from my dealer on a regular basis. He is by no means a high volume car dealer. What are my chances of geting a Solstice through him? Should I forget about it, go to a big city, high volume dealer and do it that way? Anyone with some info on my situation?

Oh yes, my dealer said he was able to get one of only about 4,000 Firehawks made last year with the automatic transmission.
If your dealer is participating in the early order program and you go to the website and order what you want and designate you want to buy it through your dealer, they will have no problem getting one. Where are you located? Is it in a warm sunny region or a cold desolate one?

Regular allocation of Solstices (after the first 1,000) are based 50% on how many Pontiacs the dealer sells and 50% on whether it is a 'roadster' market. Let's say you're a huge Pontiac dealer in an area that GM considers not to be a market for roadsters. That means your allocations will be seriously affected because they don't see it as a place where 'roadsters' sell. I whole-heartedly disagree with GM's vehicle allocation policies. On some previous new vehicle launches (I think G6 was one of them) they decided it would be best to send a majority of the hot new product to areas where they weren't selling because they said they were 'areas for potential growth.' This was so stupid. So, instead of sending them where they were selling well and where people were waiting for them, they were sending cars to places where people weren't buying them. Someone needs to tell them it's easier to keep a customer than to gain a new one. By placing cars where they weren't selling, they were alienating loyal customers in areas they were selling because the dealers there couldn't get the vehicles in a timely fashion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Blk37Special said:
I live out in the country and have ordered Pontiacs from my dealer on a regular basis. He is by no means a high volume car dealer. What are my chances of geting a Solstice through him? Should I forget about it, go to a big city, high volume dealer and do it that way? Anyone with some info on my situation?

Oh yes, my dealer said he was able to get one of only about 4,000 Firehawks made last year with the automatic transmission.
what's a firehawk?
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Eaton, That sounds like a messed up way to set allocation. As I see it, it basically means all of us in the northeast are going to end up screwed on allocation making it more difficult to get a car. That despite the fact that GM probably sells better in the northeast than most parts of the country. (For example, Buffalo has the #1 volume Chevy dealer in the country, and Chevy has about 50% of the marketshare in Buffalo).

airbalancer said:
what's a firehawk?
It was a performance option package that was added to Firebird Forumla's and Trans Ams by SLP after the car was built. GM would build the car, send it to SLP for the modifications, and then it would be sent to the dealer for delivery. However, I don't remember all of what the SLP Firehawk package contained.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
eatoninside said:
If your dealer is participating in the early order program and you go to the website and order what you want and designate you want to buy it through your dealer, they will have no problem getting one. Where are you located? Is it in a warm sunny region or a cold desolate one?

Regular allocation of Solstices (after the first 1,000) are based 50% on how many Pontiacs the dealer sells and 50% on whether it is a 'roadster' market. Let's say you're a huge Pontiac dealer in an area that GM considers not to be a market for roadsters. That means your allocations will be seriously affected because they don't see it as a place where 'roadsters' sell. I whole-heartedly disagree with GM's vehicle allocation policies. On some previous new vehicle launches (I think G6 was one of them) they decided it would be best to send a majority of the hot new product to areas where they weren't selling because they said they were 'areas for potential growth.' This was so stupid. So, instead of sending them where they were selling well and where people were waiting for them, they were sending cars to places where people weren't buying them. Someone needs to tell them it's easier to keep a customer than to gain a new one. By placing cars where they weren't selling, they were alienating loyal customers in areas they were selling because the dealers there couldn't get the vehicles in a timely fashion.


I live in a cold, desolate part of the world, extreme SW New York. We don't see green until mid-May.

The dealer is a long time Pontiac dealership that sells to the local folk mainly, although nearby city people are beginning to realize they can get a better deal out here. I wouldn't even venture a guess as to how many vehicles they sell in a year but it is well under 100. They are also a farm equipment dealer and sell a lot of maple syrup making equipment.

I'm sure that it would not be profitable for them to get in on the early order program as I doubt they would sell any Solstices other than mine. Most peolpe I talk to have never heard of it.

Now how do you like my chances?
 
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Top