Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dealer was nice enough to replace my cracking wheel housing with new ones under warranty.:thumbs:

They also smashed my fender up when they put it on a lift! :brentil:

The bottom front corner of the door almost touches the fender now. I do a quick search and notice this is a an issue many others have had. :( Somehow the lift did not touch the drivers side, but the whole fender is completely shifted on the passenger side and doesn't even line up properly with the hood anymore. Totally obvious just walking around the car. Can't imagine they wouldn't take car of this, but I just thought I'd share.

Called the dealer and I am going back later today to show them the damage. The service manager said he spoke with the tech and he says he used a puck with the lift as he would have on a Corvette...the fender damage says otherwise...I will keep the thread updated and upload a pic of the damage when I can.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Happens WAY too often. I ALWAYS check the car before I leave the dealership if I'm getting any work done.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got some pics up.

So annoyed...especially that the hood sticks out now that the fender has been pushed up.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
After seeing the finish on your paint, I retract my earlier comment. I'm GLAD your fender was damaged! ;)

Yeah, I'm just jealous. :lol:

Man, I'd have to look closer at the lifts in the garages to find out why these things get banged up like this. I just use a low profile floor jack on mine and (thanks to the cautionary tales on this forum) pay closer attention to the placement and haven't had a problem yet.

That really sucks man. :cuss:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha. Much of that is reflection, and I didn't get all the grit off last night when I washed it...paint is better than it looks in the photo, but nonetheless the damage is apparent.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Yep...it amazes me how often this happens. :brentil: You would think the dealer techs would know better...good luck with it.

On a positive note, your car's shine is impressive. The reflection on that last picture is barely darkened through it's mysterious paint. Yep....impressive. :cool:

Edited due to my slowness and letting Chickenwire beat me to the compliment.......still looks impressive though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Using a lift puck may be beside the point. What happened on mine ( passenger side only) was that the lift arm at the front of the hoist was in a location that when they pulled my GXP into the bay, the right front tire went over it. When it came down on the other side ; CRUNCH! I did not notice the damage until I was washing my car the following weekend. The tattle tail sign for me was the black rubber material the hoist pad left behind on my fender. There was no scratched paint. I would highly recommend my dealer to anyone with a Pontiac in eastern Idaho. They stood behind it all the way. In fact I asked forum members and got the company info of where all the remaining factory sheet metal ended up. Two weeks later , I had a new fender installed on my car and it came painted in the original color. All at no charge to me. Good luck , be patient , and don't give up. There are still responsible dealerships out there.

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
its also possible that if they used a lifting puck without an alignment tab, they can hit the fender with the puck. I use a puck with an alignment tab on the Sky but it will not fit under my Sol. As a result I use the jack without the puck. When I line up the jack pad I have to get on the ground to make sure the jack pad is not lifting against the fender.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Both sides of my 08 have been replaced. Wheel well's side panel and the rail at the bottom. Burns mounted the well's to tight and now the screw holes are breaking apart. In S.C. now have GMC involved, when I get the new parts this will take me to 7 wheel well's. Burns melted a 5 th one puting in a water pump. Every dealer with the exception of the new one here in Myrtle Beach has damaged my Sol every time they had it in the shop.
Wish me luck down here.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Looks like to me they lifted the car at the wrong "lift point" up front. It's not that spot that you showed in the picture. It's actually a metal/steel (upside down looking egg carton) looking part that sticks out that they should have used on the front. It's connected to the bottom frame.

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
Looks like to me they lifted the car at the wrong "lift point" up front. It's not that spot that you showed in the picture. It's actually a metal/steel (upside down looking egg carton) looking part that sticks out that they should have used on the front. It's connected to the bottom frame.
You are of course correct, but I dont use those points anymore because they are bent to hell. I will get some pics and show you. They are not very strong. The only really solid points on the car are the slotted tie down points.:willy:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,476 Posts
They also smashed my fender up when they put it on a lift! :brentil:
Just for the record, and because I haven't posted my "official jacking/lifting pics for a long time:

See this message: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/1062688-post4.html

Oh, what the heck, I'll post 'em again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Yerp, that looks familiar. Downloaded and save on my laptop. :)

Sent from my GT-P1000R using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stopped back and the service manager and a tech checked it out. He agreed it was caused by the lift. He said the fender will be repaired or replaced. Not sure how you could simply repair/align that fender, but we will see. Won't have time to get it in until late next week though. I'll get some more details when they have a little more time to check it out then since I was on my way out of town this afternoon. Just relieved there was no hassle on their part when I showed them the damage.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Every time I read another one of these threads, my brain implodes.

GM should have taken that Lifting Point Picture of Dave's, made a giant poster of it, and distributed to every service center on the planet; a long time ago. But since they made the two best divisions of GM orphans, it is no longer a priority.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts

GM should have taken that Lifting Point Picture of Dave's, made a giant poster of it, and distributed to every service center on the planet; a long time ago. But since they made the two best divisions of GM orphans, it is no longer a priority.
Agreed, but since that's not happening, why not an 8 1/2 by 11 and STAPLE IT TO THE FOREHEAD of the dolt he did it wrong?

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
You are of course correct, but I dont use those points anymore because they are bent to hell. I will get some pics and show you. They are not very strong. The only really solid points on the car are the slotted tie down points.:willy:
Mine too... that's where I put the jack stands after I jack up using the tie down spot.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts

:agree:

Yep, what he said.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts