Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people wont let their dealer detail their car when delivery comes?
I dont want any one waxing my car because they use a buffer on the paint . My brand new GMC had buffing burn marks on the paint ,took a lot of work to get them out. My new solstice will be black so if they make any mistakes it will show even more.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I think I may request that the dealer put a coat of Zanio on my car when it is new, but I don't want some detail company lot boy driving my new solstice back and forth, so I will insist that this be done at the dealership.

·
Registered
34 Posts
KYSol said:
I think I may request that the dealer put a coat of Zanio on my car when it is new, but I don't want some detail company lot boy driving my new solstice back and forth, so I will insist that this be done at the dealership.
Why don't you apply the Zaino or any other wax/polish yourself?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Jabez said:
If you can specify how it's done, why NOT have someone else do the work?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Jabez said:
Time..... When I've waxed cars before, it seems like by the time you do a really good wash, dry and wax, you've got 3-4 hrs invested. I have a hard time blocking out that much time and since I'll get my car in the winter, it isn't like the conditions outsidw will be ideal. I'm thinking about having the dealer arrange for a good coat of something that will really help protect the paint before it even leaves the dealership.

Maybe it just being lazy, but...
My Dad's advise to me... "Be good enough at what you do so you can afford to pay other people to do what they are good at doing."

Besides, I don't have a buffer and that type of stuff to REALLY make it shine. If I'm way out in left field, let me know. Maybe it isn't as bad as I think.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
My Dad's advise to me... "Be good enough at what you do so you can afford to pay other people to do what they are good at doing."/
Your Dad was on target on that advice.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
KYSol said:
My Dad's advise to me... "Be good enough at what you do so you can afford to pay other people to do what they are good at doing."
That is perfect words to live by. I guess I am not good at what I do though, because I mow my own lawn, clean my own pool, work on my own cars, and fix my own plumbing. HAHAHA

I would make that determination on the confidence of the sales team with their detailing crew. I personally have all confidence with three of out 8 detailers. I KNOW that they will do a better job then many if not all customers. They use the "professional" grade products and (again assuming that the detailer does the right job) they are aware of the negatives of a high speed buffer and what it will do to the car.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
KYSol said:
As dealernut mentioned, the problem there is knowing that you're going to get somebody who's actually good at what they're doing. The detailing industry is one of those that tends to have some goof-offs who will do a half-assed job that's just good enough to get by or else don't know their trade very well, since most people with the average sedan aren't as picky about their cars as many of us here will be (just knocking off the dirt and making it look a bit shinier will appease them). Certainly there are some great detailers out there, but many of us here don't have any experience with those who work for the dealership, so we don't know what we're getting.

Also, waxing a car properly isn't exactly rocket science. It may take some practice to get right, but the most important thing is taking the time and care to do it right. And I know I'll be extremely careful with my own car, but have my doubts if others will give it the same amount of attention. Part of the thing that made me opt to do it myself is the number of new cars around that I've seen driving around with swirl marks in the paint as if a buffer was used on them with dirty pads or something. And that kind of thing is a lot easier to prevent than to correct. Another thing is that some places will use cheap stuff in order to maximize profits and unless I know the person doing it, I'm not necessarily going to trust them to use the stuff I request, since I wouldn't know unless I saw it being done. Anyway, that's why I asked that mine not be waxed and I did it myself as soon as I got it. I took my time and did it right and there's no sign of any swirls or scratches that could show up if it wasn't done right. I'm sure I'll lighten up and try a good detail shop down the road, but for the first year or two, it's going to get my personal attention so I can keep the paint looking pristine.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
KYSol said:
Excellent quote! The only problem is that all too often, I pay people to do something and then wind up disappointed because I would have done a better job at half the cost. I tend to be a perfectionist and pay attention to detail to the things that matter to me. There is nothing worse than paying good money for a job that doesn’t meet your standards. There is also a personal sense of satisfaction and accomplishment that comes when you do it yourself – even for something as little as mowing your own lawn. It all boils down to whether or not you have the time.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
PubliusE said:
Excellent quote! The only problem is that all too often, I pay people to do something and then wind up disappointed because I would have done a better job at half the cost. I tend to be a perfectionist and pay attention to detail to the things that matter to me. There is nothing worse than paying good money for a job that doesn’t meet your standards. There is also a personal sense of satisfaction and accomplishment that comes when you do it yourself – even for something as little as mowing your own lawn. It all boils down to whether or not you have the time.
:agree: What he said!

·
Registered
152 Posts
dealernut said:
I would make that determination on the confidence of the sales team with their detailing crew. I personally have all confidence with three of out 8 detailers. I KNOW that they will do a better job then many if not all customers. They use the "professional" grade products and (again assuming that the detailer does the right job) they are aware of the negatives of a high speed buffer and what it will do to the car.
:agree:
This is how I feel. When I first took possession, the dealer had obviously prepped it and it was BEAUTIFUL. It's Mysterious, so I paid extra attention to the detailing job knowing this would be a potential issue for me (keeping it clean)...

When I took it back a week later to get the dealer sticker removed, they detailed it again and it looked TERRIBLE. When I mentioned something to the salesguy, he said, "Look, to be honest, we have 5 detailers. 3 are great, 2 are decent. The only guy on duty today is 'decent'. Come back and we'll re-do it, but wait until Tuesday when ____ is here."

That was what I did and it looked FANTASTIC Tuesday. Same guy who detailed it when I picked it up was on duty that day. Now, I just call ahead and make sure he's working, and drop it off for a quick 30min once over.

Can't beat it. Heck, I'm not going to try and keep it showroom clean - I don't have the time or the tools. :lol:

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
dealernut said:
That is perfect words to live by. I guess I am not good at what I do though, because I mow my own lawn, clean my own pool, work on my own cars, and fix my own plumbing. HAHAHA
I am one of the best in preparing tax returns, so I pay other people to mow my lawn, clean my pool (if I had one), work on my car, and fix my plumbing. Maybe that's why I have so much time to post on the Solstice Forum! :)

I certainly agree with dad's advice!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
IS300toSOLSTICE said:
:agree:
This is how I feel. When I first took possession, the dealer had obviously prepped it and it was BEAUTIFUL. It's Mysterious, so I paid extra attention to the detailing job knowing this would be a potential issue for me (keeping it clean)...

When I took it back a week later to get the dealer sticker removed, they detailed it again and it looked TERRIBLE. When I mentioned something to the salesguy, he said, "Look, to be honest, we have 5 detailers. 3 are great, 2 are decent. The only guy on duty today is 'decent'. Come back and we'll re-do it, but wait until Tuesday when ____ is here."

That was what I did and it looked FANTASTIC Tuesday. Same guy who detailed it when I picked it up was on duty that day. Now, I just call ahead and make sure he's working, and drop it off for a quick 30min once over.

Can't beat it. Heck, I'm not going to try and keep it showroom clean - I don't have the time or the tools. :lol:
What do they charge you or do they.

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
gizmo2004 said:
I am one of the best in preparing tax returns, so I pay other people to mow my lawn, clean my pool (if I had one), work on my car, and fix my plumbing. Maybe that's why I have so much time to post on the Solstice Forum! :)

I certainly agree with dad's advice!

As a 20-year Ph.D-holding professor, married to a former tax accountant, let me "Amen" (Dad was a preacher :) ) the above. I just had my floors retiled/carpeted. The labor cost was well worth NOT having to do it myself (and I have that ability, but not necessarily the time. :lol: ).

So, ... I'll most likely have the car done professionally (I have a former student in the business :thumbs: ), at least first time out.

--Chemist

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
WELL! From now on I will refer to you as Dr. Chemist! Congratulations on being so well educated. I AM impressed! :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
No waxing or buffing....

dave clancy said:
I dont want any one waxing my car because they use a buffer on the paint . My brand new GMC had buffing burn marks on the paint ,took a lot of work to get them out. My new solstice will be black so if they make any mistakes it will show even more.
No waxing or buffing on my car.....
:yesnod:

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
Chemist said:
So, ... I'll most likely have the car done professionally (I have a former student in the business :thumbs: ), at least first time out.

--Chemist
Just hope he passed your chemistry class so he knows what all those chemicals are supposed to do... :devil:

You know he will have to charge you extra to pay off his student loans, right? :lol:

·
Registered
854 Posts
dave clancy said:
I don't think GM does it but I know Honda and Toyota put white plastic sheets on the hood/roof/trunk and plastic covers on the rims. I would tell the dealer don't freaking "prep" my car for me, leave everythng on it! I can't believe some dealers actually charge unsuspecting and foolish buyers a "prep" fee. They charge YOU to drill holes into your bumper for a front plate AND put in some nice swirl marks into the paint. :brentil:

·
Registered
152 Posts
deluke said:
What do they charge you or do they.
$20-$150 depending upon the amout of detailing I need. I tend to go towards the lower amount because I don't expect them to detail under the hood, every nook and cranny, sweep and dust, etc. I just want a good personal wash.

Figuring it costs me $15 to get a good car wash at a car wash, what's another $10 to get it done by hand?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
IS300toSOLSTICE said:
When I first took possession, the dealer had obviously prepped it and it was BEAUTIFUL. It's Mysterious, so I paid extra attention to the detailing job knowing this would be a potential issue for me (keeping it clean)...

Yep ... the person you get can make all the difference in the world. Imagine if your second detail guy had been the one to do the wax job on your car ... you'd probably have swirl marks all over your new paint. And sometimes, it's nearly impossible to get them out completely. That's exactly why I said no to a wax job from some random dealer guy. I found a great detailer a few years back, but he no longer works at the same place. So until I find another with a great recommendation from somebody I trust, I'll be doing the waxing myself. That way, I know it gets done right. A lot of people seem to view it as a menial chore or something, but I actually enjoy working on my car and find it kind of relaxing. I suppose I could hire a professional masseuse for my girlfriend too, but there's just some things I'd rather do myself sometimes. :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts