Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are blessed to have SD, CC and GTOJ with their helpful information and insight. Thank you guys so much.

But with the first 1000 being delivered soon and the dealers getting their first allocations, we're going to see more and more unethical practices going on at the dealers as the little devils on their right shoulders start whispering about how much money they can get for these Solstices.

People have been discussing whether or not we should name names, and I don't know the legal ramifications, but I would love to hear about people's experiences with their dealers.

Mod's, I don't know if a sticky thread would suffice, or maybe a new area of the forum, but I think that we could bring a valuable service to the Solstice community if we found someway for people to get feedback from other members on which dealers are doing good work, and which to avoid.

We're kind of doing that now, it's just scattered through all the threads and specific names aren't being mentioned.

What do you guys think?

G

·
I would support the posting of negative dealer feedback. After all, if people can say which dealers are doing them right, then people should be able to post who is doing them wrong. Sometimes it is the only way to effect change for the positive.

I have seen on many forums where a specific retailer was trashed by someone for crappy service, only to have the retailer come on and offer to make things right to save their name and reputation.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I am all in favor of reporting both bad AND good dealer experiences, but I am not so sure that naming names is the best way to go about it. One individual could have a rare bad episode, blast it all over the net, and it could turn out thT most of the accusations are false, and then how do we as a relatively small volunteer organization (we are not even an organization, yet) restore a dealer's good name. We should share experiences, but we should also watch what we say and to whom.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
achieftain said:
I am all in favor of reporting both bad AND good dealer experiences, but I am not so sure that naming names is the best way to go about it. One individual could have a rare bad episode, blast it all over the net, and it could turn out thT most of the accusations are false, and then how do we as a relatively small volunteer organization (we are not even an organization, yet) restore a dealer's good name. We should share experiences, but we should also watch what we say and to whom.
:agree: I agree. The only way you could do this and have it be fair would be to build a database, and when a certain number was reached the results would be displayed. Say, if you have had 30 customers fill out a survey and half of them were negative, it would be pretty safe to say that it was a dealership with problems. There is a site like that for elctronics stores that do sales on the internet, and it allow for comments and rebuttals, which also makes it easier to determine if it's legitimate or a consumer with unrealistic expectations. I think that would be much harder to do with auto dealerships because the volume is so much lower, and you would be more apt to just get disgruntled customers that wanted to vent

·
Registered
976 Posts
They already have that dont they? I thought it was called the better business bureau? I am all for talking about horrible dealer tactics, and I am not so sure naming names would be a bad Idea, but when you get on a forum and say things , you could be anybody. When you report to the BBB, they take your information, collect facts, and info to back up the claim, don't they?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
cadillacricket said:
They already have that dont they? I thought it was called the better business bureau? I am all for talking about horrible dealer tactics, and I am not so sure naming names would be a bad Idea, but when you get on a forum and say things , you could be anybody. When you report to the BBB, they take your information, collect facts, and info to back up the claim, don't they?
Yeah, but the BBB would mainly be dealing with major complaints, and some people would never take it to that level. They wouldn't likely be getting the positives. The other is more of just a customer survey.
Hey, Cricket, if I may ask, where are you in Missouri? I was born in
St. Charles and spent the 1st 12 years of my life there.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Report on Buying Experience!

cadillacricket said:
It is absolutely ok to report on your buying experience. I believe the most important thing to report is "Did you receive the car in the condition you requested" and "Did you pay the price that was discussed during your verbal conversation with the dealership".

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I agree that it is good to share the names of those dealers who are causing a problem. However, I think it needs to be done carefully and not resort to name-calling. As long as somebody sticks to laying out their case and explaining what their problem with the dealer was, I think it could save a lot of people from having the same experience. Obviously, such information would have to be taken with a grain of salt, but the forum members could all draw their own conclusions based on the member's previous posts and reputation on the forum. For instance, a long-term member here who has shown his character in posts would carry a lot more weight than somebody who just pops on and posts a complaint one time. Also, if others had similar experiences with the same dealer, additional posts claiming the same thing would lend more credence to the report.

I asked a similar question recently about naming names and the only reply came from Mceb, who seemed to indicate that it would not be a violation of forum rules by his interpretation if it was not directed as an attack. I also do not see anything in the rules that forbids mentioning a dealer by name unless it is for the intent of advertising for a non-supporting dealer. But let's make sure it doesn't get out of hand and become slanderous or the mods will definitely have to step in. Keep any complaints to a simple and concise statement of your problem and not get sidetracked on a rant. Just my opinion on the matter.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
So, essentially, this thread would be for those members who are out of the 1st 1,000 loop. Those people getting an allocated car (9000 pre-orders) might be the ones to experience and report dealer problems?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Survey

ntouched said:
It is absolutely ok to report on your buying experience. I believe the most important thing to report is "Did you receive the car in the condition you requested" and "Did you pay the price that was discussed during your verbal conversation with the dealership".
My 2 cents.

If this is done, I think a survey would be a great idea. People can answer specific questions rather then just post rants or flames that are unjustified (though I dont see how that can be completely prevented unless a mod reads all the posts and maybe even verifies the info which they shouldnt have to do). It could include questions those above.

So far Ive had a great experience from my dealer, and I think positive reports should be posted too. This is especially important for dealer members, and especially people like SD, CC and GTOJ who have proven their integrity time and time again.

Googled and found this site, which may help some poeple.
http://www.dealerrater.com/
Maybe the wheel doesn't need to be reinvented.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
solli4me said:
So, essentially, this thread would be for those members who are out of the 1st 1,000 loop. Those people getting an allocated car (9000 pre-orders) might be the ones to experience and report dealer problems?
Actually, there is the potential for First 1000 buyers to have bad experiences with dealers also. We all still have to go through dealers in the end. In fact, USAMillionaire has mentioned that his dealer is going to sell him the First 1000 car for MSRP, but there will be an additional $2000 charge for mandatory dealer add-ons. So being a part of the First 1000 doesn't guarantee a trouble-free purchase.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Don't know how many of you read through Confessions of a Car Salesman - Very Interesting Article from Edmunds posted by SM some months ago.

After reading that article, I'd be tempted to take a tape recorder with me during any negotiations with a dealer :skep: if you didn't have good relationship with him(her) - and maybe even if you did :lol:

Given the demand for the Solstice, I'm afraid that there are going to be a lot of experiances similar to the one USA MM (and others) has reported :( :brentil:

·
Registered
535 Posts
I really don't think there is anything wrong in naming a dealer you had a bad experience with as long as you stick to the facts and don't become slanderous.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts