Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Which would entice you to let the dealer show your Sol?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excelsior's really got me thinking with his dealer trying to get him to leave his Sol on the showroom floor for a while. Which of these would you be most likely to go for as an incentive for the dealer to be able to borrow your Sol for a while...

Option 1) No way they're getting a hold of my Sol at any price.

Option 2) Dealer lowers price by $2,850 (12%) thus covering the entire first year depreciation (worst case) in exchange for being able to use the Sol as their own showroom car for a month.

Option 3) Free extended warranty (10 Years/100k Miles) for using the car as a "hands off" floor model ("look but don't touch").

Option 4) They can't keep it but if they give me the car at dealer invoice I'll carry around a stack of their cards and hand them out to anyone who asks about my Sol (travelling floor model) and for another $500 below invoice they can schedule showings and test drives with potential customers for up to three hours every other week (like from 4-7 every other Friday).

Option 5) Let them keep it on the lot for a month or two and split profits (50/50) on every Solstice they sell while using my car as the demo.

I'm also interested on what the dealers think, would any of these options be appealing to you as dealers to get a Solstice to show off?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I could handle option 3 and would be tempted, especially if they threw in free oil changes and tire rotations for say 5 years, then basically I would be using the car maintenance free for the first 5 years.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Option 3 isn't bad, but I've already grown impatient about getting my Solstice. Summer is going to be coming to a close and I would like to get as many top-down days under my belt as possible. If my dealer would like me to stop by so a potential customer could see my car, no problem. I just would go crazy knowing the weather was good and I didn't have my Solstice to drive.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I could handle another month of waiting if it meant no one would sit or touch my car and if I got a maintenance free car for 10 years.

It really depends on when I get my car though, if I don't get it until late November when the snow is falling I'd definitely consider it, but if I get it early-late October then no way.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I can't see that any dealer would make any of these options available.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Slicer said:
I can't see that any dealer would make any of these options available.
Actually we have a couple members whos dealers are doing setups kinda along these lines with their customers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
GradSoulStice said:
ill be seeking the intake exhaust combo in return for my car's showing.
Dealers down here still don't know what options are going to be available. That is a great idea but for how long?

·
5,641 Posts
Pardon me if this dosen't come out of the key board sounding right...

Do you really think that there is a dealer that desperate to sell the limited amount of Solstices that they will get, that they will pay upwards of $3,000 or more to mess up their first customers car?

More people will see the car in the Dairy Queen parking lot then will stroll into the dealer's showroom undecided and be won over by seeing a Solstice under glass.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Small Dealer said:

Do you really think that there is a dealer that desperate to sell the limited amount of Solstices that they will get, that they will pay upwards of $3,000 or more to mess up their first customers car?

More people will see the car in the Dairy Queen parking lot then will stroll into the dealer's showroom undecided and be won over by seeing a Solstice under glass.
:agree: With around 10,000 orders, and most of those having never seen the car in person, I can't imagine most dealers wanting to keep one around and be responsible for it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Although I really like option 4 (and seeing as I manage parking garages/lots in the heart of my fair city, meaning huge publicity since I get to park wherever the hell I want) I doubt the dealer would go for it. Though it never hurts to ask. I also think one of those big removable magnets would be a good idea possibly, I have no problem being an advertisement for my ealer because he's been great. I also figure I'm going to be giving all my friends rides in it, maybe the dealer will even fill'er up if I decide to take prospective buyers for rides... Anyway I think this is probably doubtful and that's why I voted for option 1, even though I will ask my dealer if we can "make a deal" (supposedly I'm the first in Jax to have one...supposedly...we'll see :willy: ) Hell, maybe they'd even shell out the 15-20 grand extra for the Mallett so I could REALLY show it off! :glol:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Editguy said:
:agree: With around 10,000 orders, and most of those having never seen the car in person, I can't imagine most dealers wanting to keep one around and be responsible for it.
They want to get them in the door. After that it will be explained there is an extensive waiting list of which we can put your name on. But until your number comes up on said list you may like to drive around in a shiny new __(fill in the blank)___ . It isn't as though they intend to sell nothing but Solstice that is why the recent rebates were only availible on models that can't sell themselves.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
marklynn70 said:
They want to get them in the door. After that it will be explained there is an extensive waiting list of which we can put your name on. But until your number comes up on said list you may like to drive around in a shiny new __(fill in the blank)___ . It isn't as though they intend to sell nothing but Solstice that is why the recent rebates were only availible on models that can't sell themselves.
But that being the case, it would be better for them having the car out on the road, not sitting in the dealership where they're trying to get the customer to come.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Small Dealer said:

:agree: So wouldn't option four make sense from a dealer perspective? In my business I personally always prefer to offer something that doesn't really cost me anything (opportunity cost, yes but actual cost of offering car at invoice would be 0 - right?) and for the chance to sell 5 more at MSRP or over to let one go at invoice sounds like a pretty good ROI to me.

Even if you only sell one more than you otherwise would have it's paid for itself, and maybe you get lucky and sell 10 more than you otherwise would have - and maybe even sell a few other types of cars from those who you've generated enough interest to walk onto the lot.

I'm curious about what your thoughts are though SD.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Editguy said:
But that being the case, it would be better for them having the car out on the road, not sitting in the dealership where they're trying to get the customer to come.
So again, doesn't option 4 seem perfect?

Also, As far as the $500 for the bi-weekly show and drives, I bet being able to drive a Solstice that was completely unavailable anywhere else would drive a ton of traffic into the showroom. Even people who aren't necessarily interested in a Solstice (but would still like to drive one) who might end up leaving in a new G6.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
solsticedreamin said:
So again, doesn't option 4 seem perfect?

Also, As far as the $500 for the bi-weekly show and drives, I bet being able to drive a Solstice that was completely unavailable anywhere else would drive a ton of traffic into the showroom. Even people who aren't necessarily interested in a Solstice (but would still like to drive one) who might end up leaving in a new G6.
Well, I think it's the best of the options, but truthfully at this point in time, with a backlog of orders, I don't see that they need to do any of these things. I think what Small Dealer said about the car being at DQ, etc. would do the most to bring people into the showroom. And with that system the dealer is not responsible for the car. But, who knows, there might be some dealer out there that thinks one of these options is a good deal for them, I just don't see it.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
What sense does it make to display a car for customers that you can't sell to them in any reasonable time frame :skep:. Dealers would rather interest customers in vehicles they can actually sell.

Most of the people who will be interested are more likely to be frustrated :banghead: . If they really like it - they might even be inspired to search high and low for another dealer - who will 'tell' him he can get a Solstice a little sooner.

Worse yet, Mr. Customer may become so taken with the idea of little roadster, that he pops over to the nearest Mazda dealership to pick up one of the many MX-5s sitting on the lots. :D

I wonder how many dealers have found many of us Solstice fan(atic)s more trouble than the handfull of cars they can sell are worth? :willy:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.