Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just told by my dealer that the Solstice wheels have a differet bolt pattern than any other GM product. In other words, the wheels were built specifically for the car & not from anything previously produced by GM.

All fine & good - but that means we will not be able to get many options of aftermarket wheels until someone starts building them to the specific bolt pattern of the Solstice - Is this true or is my dealer drinking tooo much????

USA

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
USA Millionaire said:
I was just told by my dealer that the Solstice wheels have a differet bolt pattern than any other GM product. In other words, the wheels were built specifically for the car & not from anything previously produced by GM.

All fine & good - but that means we will not be able to get many options of aftermarket wheels until someone starts building them to the specific bolt pattern of the Solstice - Is this true or is my dealer drinking tooo much????

USA
No, bolt pattern is such (5 X 110mm) that you can use most wheels that fit the Cobalt SS/ION RL/Malibu. Just there's not many out there. There may also (according to those that attended the first 1000 party and Oregon Solstice's account from Portland) be issues with wheel clearance to suspension components and such if you go with smaller wheels. But the bolt circle is not the limiting factor.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The PCDs, offsets, and size of the wheels make the solstice wheels rather unique. There are very few aftermarket wheel solutions readily available. We've looked. :(

So we'll just have to make some for you guys. ;)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Lillie said:
The PCDs, offsets, and size of the wheels make the solstice wheels rather unique. There are very few aftermarket wheel solutions readily available. We've looked. :(

:agree: This is the only rear wheel drive GM car that uses that bolt diameter. I imagine if you put Malibu rims on a Solstice, the offset will push the wheels waaayy outside of the body and rub on the wheel well edges every time you hit a bump.

·
Registered
535 Posts
DreamerDave said:
:agree: This is the only rear wheel drive GM car that uses that bolt diameter. I imagine if you put Malibu rims on a Solstice, the offset will push the wheels waaayy outside of the body and rub on the wheel well edges every time you hit a bump.
I'd like to see that since the w/w to tire gap is huge.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
DreamerDave said:
I added custom rims to a malibu maxx in the 5X110 bolt pattern..very hard to find a set to fit the car..the offset is large as well at +40MM in case someone doesnt know what offset means.... The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel..... a positive offset means the hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel...

you may also have problems with tire rub in turns as well

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Darkhamr said:
I'd like to see that since the w/w to tire gap is huge.
Actually wouldn't it be the opposite of that? The higher the offset the more sunk in the wheel is.

This is a problem that plauges many 240 owners. Since the pattern is 4x114.5 there are mostly FWD offsets available like +40 or more. RWD cars tend to favor +40 or LESS for the wheel offset.

So I would think that any other wheels that might currently be available to fit our lug pattern would just sink the wheel in even more! We need something with a mid 30s offset to bring the gap to a minimum.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Hey, Dori-san, bring back your old avatar!

·
Registered
535 Posts
dori-san said:
Actually wouldn't it be the opposite of that? The higher the offset the more sunk in the wheel is.
Yes this is correct, but DreamerDave never mentioned what the Malibu offset was only that it would stick out further. I was simply exaggerating that it could stick out two feet and unless the Sols suspension has 6" of travel I don't think it would matter. :lol:

This is a pretty big gap to me. While the car is low slung it still looks like it would go bobbing up and down the road.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Lillie said:

Don't worry the aftermarket will soon catch up.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
dori-san said:
Actually wouldn't it be the opposite of that? The higher the offset the more sunk in the wheel is....
Opps! My mistake, You guys are right I had it backward. With the big off set that FWD wheels have, if mounted on a Solstice it'd pull them in and they'd drag constantly on the shock towers if you could bolt them on at all. It's when you put RWD wheels on FWD cars that the wheels stick out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts