Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I will be buying on price. I will probable only order the LSD and air-conditioning, and possible cruise control. I plan on buying over the internet or fax in the Washington, Oregon & Idaho area. Since we are getting close to the rumored Feb 28th date, I am wondering what people are speculating the dealer invoice price will be?

I was on Kelly Blue Book’s web page and did a quick search on the Cobalt SS. Price with destination charge and required equipment was 20,602.05 (invoice) and 21,995.00 (retail). This is a 6.3% mark up. Assuming the Solstice is $20,000 (no options), will I be able to offer $ 18,740 + tax & license. Will the dealer agree to an offer like this knowing that they will make 2-3 percent on the holdback and have minimal holding costs since I will be ordering the car (Black on Black)? Am I dreaming? Thanks…..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Depending on how the sales and demand go, if you get MSRP you might end up considering yourself lucky compared to msot other people. I know a lot of poeple who got invoice on the new 2005 Mustang, BUT that's a extremely massively produced car compared to the Solstice.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
If you were dealing with your regular dealer instead of shopping the net/fax then I think you would have a good shot at a better price. By regular dealer I mean your hometown (smalltown USA) dealer from whom you have purchased 7 cars in the last 20 years and with whom you have fostered a relationship where you can offer $500 over invoice without even knowing price upfront and be guaranteed delivery, or right to refuse if it doesn't meet your expectations. No guarantee that it will work this way this time, but MY dealer has no orders yet and I'm first on list to notify when they can order.

1996, first week of ordering for 97 Grand Prix, we ordered at 500 over and loved the car when it came in. 2003, ordered a special edition Grand Prix(only 2000 produced), told our story of previous purchase as well as offer from 6 hours away to deliver for 300 over, expecting full well to pay 500, and actually got it for 300 over invoice.

I know this is a hot commodity that's not even available yet, and here in the hinterlands we may have to wait a couple months but it should be worth it.

If you drive any GM now then customer loyalty certainly becomes a factor that you can use to your advantage.

I'll pass this along, I just read in Cars&Parts magazine an article about a large Chevy dealer outside of Columbus,OH who had a salesman years ago come into his office bragging about the 2000 over sticker deal he just made. The dealer tol him do it again and you're gone, and the dealer immediately refunded the overcharge to the extremely happy customer. This is a BIG BIG 'vette dealer, by the way, so by example there should not be any reason that anyone should have to pay over sticker, although people wil.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
It wouldn’t hurt to email a few dealers to see if anyone will take an order at invoice, but I am guessing most dealers will be looking for MSRP (or more) on these cars initially. They expect these cars to be hot, and they are limited by their allocation on how many they will get to sell. They will certainly try to squeeze all the money out of them that they can. Hopefully that doesn’t include markups, but some dealers will invariably jack up the price too.

Wait 4-6 months and see how the car is doing. As we get towards fall/winter, and after the initial rush is done there should be some dealing on the car. :thumbs
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Wait 4-6 months and see how the car is doing. As we get towards fall/winter, and after the initial rush is done there should be some dealing on the car. :thumbs
Best time to buy a convertible is January 31, boys and girls. They will have tried to deplete any inventory by then, January is usually the slowest month at dealers and the last day of the month is when the salesman is trying to meet his goals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
achieftain said:
Best time to buy a convertible is January 31, boys and girls. They will have tried to deplete any inventory by then, January is usually the slowest month at dealers and the last day of the month is when the salesman is trying to meet his goals.
I can't imagine waiting that long for a 2006. By then I would hope to see the FI solstice on the horizon and have to wait for it. But you have to think about how much the car is worth to you for the 4 to 6 months you waited instead of driving it. I'll wave to you as you wander the car lots looking at the car I'm driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
I know this is foolish but there is something to having a car that's the first one a lot of people have seen on the road. I hate to admit it but it's a sort of silly ego boost to have people point and wave. But that does have a value. Whether it's worth the $1000 (5% of the price of the car) or not is up to you. And I understand, it is something you pay for that disappears with time. But so is the feeling you get knowing you saved a few dollars on the price.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
DreamerDave said:
I know this is foolish but there is something to having a car that's the first one a lot of people have seen on the road. I hate to admit it but it's a sort of silly ego boost to have people point and wave. But that does have a value. Whether it's worth the $1000 (5% of the price of the car) or not is up to you. And I understand, it is something you pay for that disappears with time. But so is the feeling you get knowing you saved a few dollars on the price.
Just buy a Fiero. People point and wave at mine all the time. I have had numerous gas station attendants come out of their mini-mart to check it out. The best thing is instead of paying a $1000 premium, you probably can get one for $1000 total! :thumbs :jester
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,153 Posts
yeah, or get an H2... lots of people point and wave at those. Usually with the same finger! :patriot
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
2KWK4U said:
yeah, or get an H2... lots of people point and wave at those. Usually with the same finger! :patriot
:glol I am not sure that is the type of waving he wants to receive! :banghead
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top