Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off with my dealer...mentioned that he wanted another $2000 in addition to the $500 I have already put down in April...said something about the owner worried about "commitment"

I told him that if he was trying to get commitment, he should send me a sales-agreement that outlined MSRP pricing, and I would sign it...this should legally bind me to buying the car (right?)

whenever it arrives... :yawn:

Anyone run into this?...any reccomended steps to make sure I dont get screwed...

·
Registered
819 Posts
sight unseen said:
Just got off with my dealer...mentioned that he wanted another $2000 in addition to the $500 I have already put down in April...said something about the owner worried about "commitment"

I told him that if he was trying to get commitment, he should send me a sales-agreement that outlined MSRP pricing, and I would sign it...this should legally bind me to buying the car (right?)

Anyone run into this?...any reccomended steps to make sure I dont get screwed...
I have a feeling you have hit the nail on the head on this one. Your request for an agreement is reasonable, and would be binding. Their request sounds like another way to get whatever they can for a hot car.

Use caution and keep us informed what happens!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Actually the only thing a signed sales agreement with MSRP info does is force a dealer to sell you a car at MSRP. At any point you can refuse the car and just walk away.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
sight unseen said:

That is strange. I spoke to two dealers this past weekend in person. Both are virtually begging people to "order" one with $100 deposits. They cannot get a car by ordering for "dealer stock" and need a "sale" to get one ordered through GM. So they simply want names, and they need a deposit to make it a legal sale.

In fact, both wouldn't mind if the buyer backed out when the car came in either, since they know they can sell them. They just don't want their allocations pushed back to last so they don't see any cars until next summer!

You put $500 down, your committed. Did they sign a sales agreement? You shouldn't have to pay more down before the car arrives. In fact, it would worry me as to why they are trying to get more cash now, as if they are in financial trouble or something.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
brentil said:
Actually the only thing a signed sales agreement with MSRP info does is force a dealer to sell you a car at MSRP. At any point you can refuse the car and just walk away.
Oh, okay. So that probably wont solve the problem...thanks brentil

Um, maybe he wants me to propose to the car??? I dont know, kind of lost on what to do here
:confused:

Do NOT want to pony up another $2k...I feel much better with that $ in my bank account...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fformula88 said:
You shouldn't have to pay more down before the car arrives. In fact, it would worry me as to why they are trying to get more cash now, as if they are in financial trouble or something.
:agree: and am worried too...

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
No F :cuss: ing way would I pony-up another cent - signed sales agreement or not (which you should try to get, regardless).

This just sounds wrong, wrong wrong. I think it is clear that post-employee pricing, sales are way off. Maybe he is trying to get a little cash flow going.

:nono: DON'T DO IT

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
sight unseen said:

I would ask him for your deposit back. If he does that he has no sale. Go somewhere else. People are backing out all over the place. You’ll probably get one sooner.
Keep us posted.
:yesnod:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
General Manager of the dealership just called me and said this is a "standard" $2000 to build it the way I want it...

so I did it...don't really have a choice..don't think I will get my hands on another one as all the dealers in the bay area are chargin 3-5k over

:brentil: SOB! I yelled at him for abou 10 minutes and gave in...

Its not the money really, b/c I have been saving...its the principle...

Plus this seems really screwy...I told him hes the only dealer in the country doing this...he said " i have to do things my way..."

But he did agree to put "MSRP" in writing..not the $ mind you, but the word "MSRP"...

step in the right direction, I guess

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
sight unseen said:
General Manager of the dealership just called me and said this is a "standard" $2000 to build it the way I want it...
my dealer ordered my solstice the way I want it....and took $500 deposit check and is holding it, not even cashing it.....ordered in Mid May!!!...

this dealership is blowing smoke!!!!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
PAO said:
my dealer ordered my solstice the way I want it....and took $500 deposit check and is holding it, not even cashing it.....ordered in Mid May!!!...

this dealership is blowing smoke!!!!
I received my 1st1K last week, no deposit, no agreement. I don't even remember a handshake. :)

(Of course, I have bought 18 cars from this dealer over the past 20 years. Most of the time the owner hands me the keys and we take care of the paperwork some time in the next week or so.)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can Anyone share a copy of what a signed-sales agreement actually looks like?

This guy just faxed me a written note and signed it...it says MSRP and "applicable fees"

I asked him to re-write it with applicable fees outlined...

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I would give them the extra deposit if they give you the sales contract showing MSRP. Fair trade.

Some dealer do require 10% deposit for special orders. Mine wanted $2000 but since it was January and they had nothing in their system yet on the car we settled on $500 instead.

I think it's a business decision that each dealer decides what is right. As some have said, some do hand shake deals.

As long as you have the sales contract with MSRP, you are good.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Scum bucket dealers......

sight unseen said:

so I did it...don't really have a choice..don't think I will get my hands on another one as all the dealers in the bay area are chargin 3-5k over

:brentil: SOB! I yelled at him for abou 10 minutes and gave in...

Its not the money really, b/c I have been saving...its the principle...

Plus this seems really screwy...I told him hes the only dealer in the country doing this...he said " i have to do things my way..."

But he did agree to put "MSRP" in writing..not the $ mind you, but the word "MSRP"...

step in the right direction, I guess
You need to call GM and explain exactly what the dealership asked you to do. This is unethical business practice. GM hates dealers that operate this way. GM is trying to build on the positive aspects of the Solstice. They do a good job with these types of situations. The Pontiac number is in another thread. Again, call GM (Pontiac).
:yesnod:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mceb said:
Thanks again mceb...2 follow ups...

Is tehre an "official" sales contract taht I should be looking for? I just have a hand written note

Should I be worried that he wont name a dollar-figure...he will only write the words MSRP?

·
Registered
120 Posts
something fishy!

the words "applicable fees" could cover any number of sins. The dealer might think a markup is an applicable fee. I would push for a detailed list of his fees and get your contract (binding in law) showing exactly what all the charges will be. There is no excuse for not putting real pricing on the contract. the numbers have been out for quite a while.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the advice everyone...I have decided that 2k more up front is not a big deal now, because the dealer has agreed to provide line-itemed pricing (MSRP + TTF) in a letter for tommorow...

So I am pleased...a bit confused about the extra $2k, but I dont think its a set up to gough me later anymore...

I am still curious as to wether or not there is an an "official" sales contract that I should be looking for?

Does anyone have an "official" sales contract?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
SolWhat? said:
I received my 1st1K last week, no deposit, no agreement. I don't even remember a handshake. :)

(Of course, I have bought 18 cars from this dealer over the past 20 years. Most of the time the owner hands me the keys and we take care of the paperwork some time in the next week or so.)
:agree: Sounds like a post I could have written myself.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
sight unseen said:
Thanks for all the advice everyone...I have decided that 2k more up front is not a big deal now, because the dealer has agreed to provide line-itemed pricing (MSRP + TTF) in a letter for tommorow...

So I am pleased...a bit confused about the extra $2k, but I dont think its a set up to gough me later anymore...

I am still curious as to wether or not there is an an "official" sales contract that I should be looking for?

Does anyone have an "official" sales contract?
should be the basic retail write up ...shows base price of the car...priced options then tax title and tags......I have an itemized order showing the exact amount of the entire deal...signed by my and the sales manager, initialled by our salesman....

·
Premium Member
9,964 Posts
mceb said:
I would give them the extra deposit if they give you the sales contract showing MSRP. Fair trade.

Some dealer do require 10% deposit for special orders. Mine wanted $2000 but since it was January and they had nothing in their system yet on the car we settled on $500 instead.

I think it's a business decision that each dealer decides what is right. As some have said, some do hand shake deals.

Every dealer seems to have their own method to the madness-my original dealer wanted no down $$, since he knew it was going to be along while before I saw the car. New dealer, also wanted no $$, I have my signed sales agreement, with GMs pricing, no $$ down, it's sitting in the bank, so when it finally does arrive, I can decide whether to plunk down any extra, or not!
(And this was the CEO of the dealership that flat refused down $$!)

Seldom when I've ordered with GMS pricing have they wanted any down $$, they consider the discount difference as down $$ at the time of financing.

Last order, last Sept, I put $100 down, but this was the first time dealing with this dealer. Now they know me, and we're good to go :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts