Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a dealership here in Miami yesterday to discuss pre-ordering the Solstice. He told me they were currently selling the Solstice for $10,000 over MSRP because of high demand and limited production. Can anyone tell me whether this kind of mark-up is going on everywhere? Or is this just a reflection of the wealth and demand of the Miami market?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
newfan said:
I went to a dealership here in Miami yesterday to discuss pre-ordering the Solstice. He told me they were currently selling the Solstice for $10,000 over MSRP because of high demand and limited production. Can anyone tell me whether this kind of mark-up is going on everywhere? Or is this just a reflection of the wealth and demand of the Miami market?
Wow, powned... I got mine at MSRP. I would shop around if I were you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Technically, GM can't legally do anything about "value added or market adjustment" prices. I will say that most dealers on the EOP understood what the phrase "strongly suggested" for MSRP meant. You will see these kinds of crazy markups unfortunately. When the 4 door Tahoe came out I witnessed one dealer with a 10k markup on the first one they got. They politely told me that they would take 6k over if I would buy it!! Someone will always pay to be first! Fortunately, EOP did away with that some.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Vote with your feet

Vote with your feet. Find another dealer that is not being stupid. MSRP is what most (all?) people on this forum have been getting their cars for. I think the opinon has been voiced that a road trip to get your new Solstice is a great way to break in your new car and saving 10K wouldn't be a bad waste of a weekend.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Find another dealer. Plain and simple. They are looking for someone with deep pockets who will hand over the cash.

As far as GM's control, no, they do not have any direct control. However, they do have other means to try and prevent those sort of things which can be very persuasive if they want to be. I'd sent Pontiac and email, a letter, or call their customer service dept and complain about the dealer and markup. It couldn't hurt to let Pontiac know anyway!

·
Registered
133 Posts
YIKES!!! :eek: You could easily buy airfare one way to another dealer on the East coast, put your new car on the Autotrain to Orlando, have a nice drive home to Miami and still come out WAY ahead!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Someone once told me crazy markups are a way for dealers to keep a hot car around the lot to pump future sales, demos drives etc. Without it, dealers wouldn't have a car until things cooled off (could be many months). If someone is dumb enough to pay it then they'll sell it.

Don't know how true it is but it makes some sense.

·
Registered
118 Posts
newfan said:

Attributing that mark up to "wealth and demand of the Miami market" is being way to kind to that dealer. :cuss:
Laugh out loud, tell him no thanks and that you can buy a Z4 for that then go find a reasonable Pontiac dealer :)

·
Dragon Rider
1,071 Posts
Thankfully, getting mine at MSRP, have it in writing, even though like some other members I've read, I know more about the car thsometimes than the sales manager at the dealership. Heck, when I read about the delay, I contacted the dealership and he asked me to forward any more info I picked up. :)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
newfan said:
HOLY CRAP!!! :willy:

As everyone above me has said, find a new dealer. This one's just high or stupid. Dealers in Central Florida are all charging MSRP even though they've sold their 4 month allotment + a poop ton after that. Go to www.pontiac.com and use their dealer locator to find one who wont rip you off. Or PM GTOJ since he's a supporting dealer, I believe he's said on a couple occasions he charges only MSRP and will work on you with shipping to your area too. PM him for specifics though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thank fully I'm in the lucky (blessed 1000), but I live in Miami too, and my dealer told me that all orders after the first 1000 where being market up $1,000 over MSRP. Are you sure you did'nt add a mistaken zero to that amount?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Some of these dealers never cease to amaze me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanx

Thanks for the reassurances. I'm glad to know not all dealers are pushing these kinds of mark-ups. And for the record, yes, I did hear correctly when he said 10K over MSRP. Because I told him I had no intention of paying 30K for the car and he corrected me, "Well, more like 29K." So he definitely said $10,000. And my response was indeed to laugh. I left him my number and told him to call when he was being more realistic. In the meantime, I will definitely shop around and try some dealerships outside of Miami. Again, glad to hear better deals are out there. I was getting ready to give up on getting a Solstice.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Email Bob Lutz and let him know you will not be buying a Solstice if it is 10,000 over MSRP. I too can't believe the gall of these dealers. They need to understand the benefit of taking care of customers so they will become repeat customers. We live in a disposable society and I guess some think of potential buyers as disposable too.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you are part of the EOP I did not think it was allowed by GM to sell
the cars at anything but MRSP.

After the EOP (can't say if that is dealer regular allocation),
the dealers may be able to jack up the price but $10K is nuts.

If this was the case you should have bought one of the first 1000 being sold on ebay.

definitly shop around.

The price is the price and it should never be more. :yawn:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Bought_It said:
If you are part of the EOP I did not think it was allowed by GM to sell
the cars at anything but MRSP.

After the EOP (can't say if that is dealer regular allocation),
the dealers may be able to jack up the price but $10K is nuts.

If this was the case you should have bought one of the first 1000 being sold on ebay.

definitly shop around.

The price is the price and it should never be more. :yawn:
Dealers were not required to sell EOP cars at MSRP, they were "Highly encouraged" to sell at MSRP. Although that wording from GM probably was a warning not to mark any up, they can still price them higher if they so chose to.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts