Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

:rant: Well now that the excitement of having this car has worn off I'm very angry that I payed $3500 over MSRP plus another $1000 for a Tire and wheel protection package that I didn't ask for- $4500 over what I intended. I know, I bought it already and I shouldn't complain now that I have it in my posession but I'm still angry at myself that I agreed to it and at the dealership for taking advantage. Here's how it went- In April I put a $500 deposit on the car(McGuire Auto Group, NJ) and they told me they weren't getting any 1st 1K cars but were getting 7-8 for 1st allocation. I was told I was #5 I think. From lurking these forums I got the impression that people were notified before the car arrives at the dealership and given a VIN# and invoice. Well, I didn't, I got a call Friday, Sept 30th that my car arrived at the dealership and ready for pickup. I was so excited and I couldn't believe it-I went that evening to get it. The car was already in the showroom and there it was-Dealer Markup to 27,579.00, the MSRP should be 23,100.00. They gave me some story that someone was in and offered them 30,000 for the car and that they were selling on ebay for a lot as well. I really had no time to think and there was no advance warning, if I had said no they already had someone ready to buy it for 30K. I'm 35 and I've always wanted a convertible since I began to drive so I wanted this car badly even at a higher MSRP. I've never seen a convertible in my price range that I liked. This car was perfect- affordable, great looking and unlike any car on the road now. Now I'm having second thoughts and wouldn't mind getting my money back and getting a 350Z for a little more but I guess it's too late. Don't get me wrong, I love the car but it's not worth what I payed. Sorry about the rant.

Chris
#1420- Pure w/everything except On-Star, Leather and Premium sound

·
Registered
137 Posts
Did you get the order in writing?

If so they have to honor the original agreement. Go back and make them honor it.

Otherwise just enjoy your new car! That's what I would be doing!

·
Registered
184 Posts
That's just crazy! We see all these marketing advertisements of "Base price of $19,995 and fully loaded for around $25,000" but no where does it get mentioned that "Price only offered at LIMITED DEALERSHIPS".....

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Unless your sate has some very strange laws concerning "buyers remorse" it looks like you've bought yourself a car.

Three things I'm going to assume:
1. The dealer had you sign all kinds of papers stating that you agreed to the $27,579 price.
2. You signed a card or paper that was an application or transfer of title and registration.
3. You signed papers saying you agreed to buy the wheel and tire insurance policy.

If these are true you are now driving a used car and if anyone buys it now, it'd have to sold as used.

It's possible that a good lawyer MIGHT be able to sue them for a refund of the difference between MSRP and what you paid (only assuming when you left your $500 deposit, you have some paper they signed saying they'd sell it at MSRP). But the problem with that is the lawyer would probably charge you about as much as you'd get back from the dealer. It's too bad they were able to con you into that $1000 wheel/tire insurance policy. That's something that probably can't be refunded. There are hardly ever refunds on warranties and a lot of people have tried.

I can understand how you were feeling when under the almost hypnotic spell of the cars surprise appearance, especially after waiting so long. It's almost criminal how a disreputable dealer can sour the car buying experience. Think of it as paying extra for the benefit of having a car long before 99.999% of the population can get one. Every time someone obviously lusts over your Solstice, remind yourself that that's something they wouldn't be doing near as often if you were driving a 350Z! :cool: :grouphug:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Get em' back! Revenge!

:devil: When I left that dealership someone would have a black eye and it wouldn't be me. Park your arse down in a lawn chair (after you call the local TV and radio stations and get assured they will be there) near their showroom entrance with a big sign that reads "This dealership screwed me". The stations will want to interview the sales manager and maybe contact GM and ask if this is standard practice for their dealers. The manager out of the "goodness" of his heart will want to repay you the overage so the dealership and GM don't get a bad name and they will probably throw in your wheel package for free. Heck, if you stop just a couple of people from purchasing from them it will cost them way more then they jipped you out of.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Not trying to be cruel but they were looking for a sucker and they found one! You could have walked out the door and you should have gotten your deal in writting back in April. I don't condone what the dealer did but you bought it and that is your fault not theirs.

Please others we have been saying on this forum for a long time not to deal with this kind of dealer. There are plenty of dealers that will sell for MSRP so don't throw your money away. Even if you have to travel a little you will still be far ahead to shop around.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
OZ40 said:
:devil: When I left that dealership someone would have a black eye and it wouldn't be me. Park your arse down in a lawn chair (after you call the local TV and radio stations and get assured they will be there) near their showroom entrance with a big sign that reads "This dealership screwed me". The stations will want to interview the sales manager and maybe contact GM and ask if this is standard practice for their dealers. The manager out of the "goodness" of his heart will want to repay you the overage so the dealership and GM don't get a bad name and they will probably throw in your wheel package for free. Heck, if you stop just a couple of people from purchasing from them it will cost them way more then they jipped you out of.
In the true sense of the word, I don't think you can say that he was cheated. Before he signed the papers he knew what they were doing to him, and he went ahead and made the purchase anyway. Are they greedy and should they be boycotted? I would be for that. But he wasn't tricked into paying this price. He allowed his desire for the car to get the best of him. And what he has now is known as buyers remorse. I've been there, so I know the feeling. ;)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Editguy said:
In the true sense of the word, I don't think you can say that he was cheated. Before he signed the papers he knew what they were doing to him, and he went ahead and made the purchase anyway. Are they greedy and should they be boycotted? I would be for that. But he wasn't tricked into paying this price. He allowed his desire for the car to get the best of him. And what he has now is known as buyers remorse. I've been there, so I know the feeling. ;)

I think the sign would better read "they overcharged me", but I would only do this If i had a local radio station if not TV station there to cover it. It would drive a dealer like mine out of business! Do that for one day, and Lebanon would still talk about it five years from now! Hit the dealer hard, but .....

Chris..... Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to the forum. I understand how you feel, i myself have felt that way, everytime I was overcharged for something I HAD to have.

But I have found that if I do what I know is right, I feel no remorse. If you are happy with the car, be happy with the purchase.

And when you recieve that big survey from GM in about two weeks, tell them all about what the dealer did, including the insurance for factory rims and tires....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:devil:

I knew what I was doing and yes I signed all the papers and I'm not expecting money back. When I put the deposit down they had no price on the car yet with the options but I should have gotten a written agreement to pay only MSRP when I did. I also shouldn't have let my excitement for the car impair my judgement. What's done is done, but I would like to get the word out about this dealer (they're already on the boycott list) but It probably wouldn't much good.

Chris

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
cgrasso said:
:devil:

I knew what I was doing and yes I signed all the papers and I'm not expecting money back. When I put the deposit down they had no price on the car yet with the options but I should have gotten a written agreement to pay only MSRP when I did. I also shouldn't have let my excitement for the car impair my judgement. What's done is done, but I would like to get the word out about this dealer (they're already on the boycott list) but It probably wouldn't much good.

Chris
Tell anyone you know that's in the market for any cars they sell. That's the best way to get even. ;) And I do feel for you, cause it's a lousy feeling when you know that you let your excitement for something get the best of you. On the other hand, just go out and enjoy the Sol. It will help you forget. In a few years and many miles from now it won't matter so much. :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
IMO he was cheated

I respectfully disagree. Going into a dealership all hyped for your new car sitting there outside the door not too many could just walk away. What about your deposit, walk away from that too? Nope, those leeches knew exactly what they were doing as they bent this guy over....that's cheating. Post their email and I for one will let them know how I feel about their antics, hopefully others on this forum would do likewise.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
OZ40 said:
I respectfully disagree. Going into a dealership all hyped for your new car sitting there outside the door not too many could just walk away. What about your deposit, walk away from that too? Nope, those leeches knew exactly what they were doing as they bent this guy over....that's cheating. Post their email and I for one will let them know how I feel about their antics, hopefully others on this forum would do likewise.
If they refused to return his deposit, I agree with you. That's a different matter. But he didn't state that they refused to return his deposit. I was under the impression that he didn't ask for it back. I would be surprised if they wouldn't have returned it because they could have found someone else to buy the car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They didn't refuse to give the deposit back. I decided to get the car, they said they'd give it back if I didn't want it so they can sell it to they guy that was willing to pay more. I'm going to enjoy this car and try and put this behind me. However, this practice may be legal-it shouldn't be. I definitely won't be buying from them ever again nor will recommend them. For the person that wanted their e-mail- the link is www.mcguireautogroup.com, click on contact us you can submit an e-mail although it doesn't actually state the address. I'll probably do the same but in the meantime I did report this to Pontiac and they will submit this complaint to the dealer but other than that there is much they can do. The dealer is not aware yet of my dissatisfaction but I will let them know for all the good it will do. Why didn't I let them know already? Well I only got it this past Friday and as I said in an earlier post I was so excited to get it that I just gave in and took the car (I did let them I was unhappy with the markup but I didn't push).

Chris

·
Registered
854 Posts
cgrasso said:
Hi everyone,

:rant: Well now that the excitement of having this car has worn off I'm very angry that I payed $3500 over MSRP plus another $1000 for a Tire and wheel protection package that I didn't ask for- $4500 over what I intended. I know, I bought it already and I shouldn't complain now that I have it in my posession but I'm still angry at myself that I agreed to it and at the dealership for taking advantage. Here's how it went- In April I put a $500 deposit on the car(McGuire Auto Group, NJ) and they told me they weren't getting any 1st 1K cars but were getting 7-8 for 1st allocation. I was told I was #5 I think. From lurking these forums I got the impression that people were notified before the car arrives at the dealership and given a VIN# and invoice. Well, I didn't, I got a call Friday, Sept 30th that my car arrived at the dealership and ready for pickup. I was so excited and I couldn't believe it-I went that evening to get it. The car was already in the showroom and there it was-Dealer Markup to 27,579.00, the MSRP should be 23,100.00. They gave me some story that someone was in and offered them 30,000 for the car and that they were selling on ebay for a lot as well. I really had no time to think and there was no advance warning, if I had said no they already had someone ready to buy it for 30K. I'm 35 and I've always wanted a convertible since I began to drive so I wanted this car badly even at a higher MSRP. I've never seen a convertible in my price range that I liked. This car was perfect- affordable, great looking and unlike any car on the road now. Now I'm having second thoughts and wouldn't mind getting my money back and getting a 350Z for a little more but I guess it's too late. Don't get me wrong, I love the car but it's not worth what I payed. Sorry about the rant.

Chris
#1420- Pure w/everything except On-Star, Leather and Premium sound

I can't believe you didn't walk away, $4500 is almost 1/4 the price of a base model... hope the car came with a tub of vasoline in the glove box. But really, if you want you should be able to sell the car on Ebay if you act fast. In 2 years these cars will be selling for much less on the used market. Same thing happened with the PT Cruiser, it was base'd at 16k and they were selling for 20k. Now you can pick one up a year or two old for 12k.

·
Registered
936 Posts
At the very least you should demand and get your money for the rim and tire insurance back because they are covered undet warranty and that amounts to nothing but pure fraud.

·
5,600 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your terrible experience. New Car Fever can be like that - you get so emotional over a new car purchase that common sense and reason can go right out the window. At such times, it really helps to have a family member or friend with you to restore your reason.

Is this $24,000 car worth $28,500? No, it is not. It is a great car but when you start pushing the $30,000 mark, you begin to have great options open to you. At the "well below $25,000" end of the spectrum, the Solstice and the MX5 are really the only game in town.

Here is the bottom line - you own a great car and there are thousands out there who are jealous of you and probably many others who spent even more than you to get their Solstice. In other words, if you have good health and you really enjoy the car, then you are basically in good shape. True you have a bit less money than possible, but you can always get more money. Life can't be that bad.

I do understand your buyers remorse brought on with the realization you were taken advantage of. Make certain nobody you know ever sets foot in this dealership again, unless it is to show them the cars and business they lost over the years due to their greedy, short-term thinking. :brentil:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
First, I'm not sure about the laws in your state - but here in Michigan you have (I think) 3 days to change your mind.

You're alsmost certainly past this option. :( I would suggest a combination of many of the things already put forth - but I would start with a calm, declaritive, reasoned letter to the dealership owner stating how you feel you were mistreated / taken advantage of. State that this has really soured what should have been a positive experiance. You should also tell him what you would need to feel better about this ($$).

When this doesn't work (actually 0.02% of success), make sure you drill him on the survey - let him know you drilled him on the survey and tell everyone that you can make listen what a piece of :cuss: sh*t this guy is.

If this isn't enough :brentil: to put this behind you - you can escalate the revenge with some of the other suggestions - such as camping out across the street / calling the local TV stations / hiring a hitman...

·
5,641 Posts
ateam_77 said:
At the very least you should demand and get your money for the rim and tire insurance back because they are covered under warranty and that amounts to nothing but pure fraud.
With no details from the buyer, we have to assume that the tire and wheel protection package is some sort of road hazard insurance plan. Maybe, maybe a wear out replacement plan, maybe.

The GM Warranty would not cover either, road hazard damage to wheels or tires, or tire wear out.

The GM Warranty uses the tire manufacturer's defect and workmanship warranty coverage, just substituting a GM dealership in the place of the tire manufacturer's stores during the 36 month/36,000 bumper-to-bumper warranty period.

Bonzo Audit Scorecard :)
Defend Dealership: No Critical Dealership: No
Defend GM: No Critical GM: No
Provide Infomation: Yes
Answer Question: No
General Conversation: No

·
5,641 Posts
MAKsys said:
First, I'm not sure about the laws in your state - but here in Michigan you have (I think) 3 days to change your mind.
As with all other states (although California maybe working on something, haven't seen the compromise bill wording), Michigan has no "three day cancellation" law for auto purchases. Those usually only exists for home purchases & solicitations.

http://www.michigan.gov/cis/0,1607,7-154-10555_13648-26233--,00.html#CAR-BACK

Q I bought a car yesterday, but I've changed my mind and want to return it, but the dealer won't take the car back. Don't I have three days to cancel the contract?
A No. There is no right of rescission on automobile purchases.

Bonzo Audit Scorecard :)
Defend Dealership: No Critical Dealership: No
Defend GM: No Critical GM: No
Provide Infomation: Yes
Answer Question: No
General Conversation: No

1 - 20 of 23 Posts