Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope the Pontiac dealers don't try to gouge us when it first comes out. I want the first one on the block but not if it's going to have a "market adjustment".

·
Registered
5 Posts
supply and demand, my friend. You can bet that you will pay a premium to be first on your block with any car that comes out.

I'd do the same thing if I were a dealer.

Svelte.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Supply and demand. I dont like to take the car saleman side but would you pay full retail on a slow selling car??? Are you reverse gouging when you drive a hard bargain on something not so demanded?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pile Driver said:
I dont like to take the car saleman side
:D I agree!

I still hate it when they mark them up so much at the beginning of a new model. I know it's supply and demand, but I still hate it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was just at a Checy dealer and saw they are still marking up the SSR by $10k or so. Wow. But, the dealer I was at only had one.

Another dealer in the paper advertised he had 20 SSRs on the lot, ready for sale, and was selling at MSRP.

I would expect mark-ups for the Solstice to only last 1-2 months, while production is still ramping and dealers deliveries are slow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GM is ramping up for pretty big volume on the Solstice. That should keep the dealers from being able to mark them up for very long.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The media has reported production of 10-30k units per year. 10k definitely seems way too low. I would expect them to try for 30k year or more potentially if it is a hot seller, which it probably will be at least initially. The main question probably is - how will the Solstice drive? It has the looks, it has the pricing. But will it be a good driver, with crisp handling like a Miata? Or will it end up a dog like the Honda del Sol?

·
Registered
9 Posts
GMFan said:
The media has reported production of 10-30k units per year. 10k definitely seems way too low. I would expect them to try for 30k year or more potentially if it is a hot seller, which it probably will be at least initially. The main question probably is - how will the Solstice drive? It has the looks, it has the pricing. But will it be a good driver, with crisp handling like a Miata? Or will it end up a dog like the Honda del Sol?

I want to know how it will handle too. Like you said, the Del Sol looks liek it could handle, but doesnt. Either way i think i will purchase one, even if it is a dog, itll be daily transportation save for the bike, so handling isnt keen.

My wonder is what will it be in aftermarket? will it be a tuner car(hopefully not), or what? i will be happy the day i see a turbo one online.

I got the 20,000/yr from The News Journal, they were doing something on how its only 8% of what the Newport(Wilmington) plant is capable of, and what they are going to do witht he rest of the time they will have.

http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjournal/local/2004/02/102006jobpicturef.html

When does preordering begin?

·
Registered
45 Posts
If a car that looks this good doesn't perform as well it will just drive an aftermarket.

The Solstice looks like a sports car. I expect that it will perform like one. If not, there will be companies that make it a goal to make it perform.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the link - that is a good article. Hadn't seen it before, and it almost confirms there will be other Kappa-based cars built there - which is great. Would love to see the Nomad built - I could see them easily selling 20k of those per year without falling to the Beetle/PT Cruiser syndrome.

I wonder how soon GM will let the mags get their hands on a Solstice for some early test drive impressions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I hope that they build the Nomad as well. I saw the concept a few years back at the Phili auto show, thought it was neat. It looks like GM has a nice platform on thier hands to work with.

I believe your right 4corners, if it doesnt perform like it should, there will be companies out there making it perform like it should.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the links GMFan. I had heard of the Curve, but didnt realize it was on the same chassis. I like the new nomad too, but it looks too short to me. Maybe Gm will build some of the cool new concepts that they are creating. Hopefully the Solstice will be a step in the right direction:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Pettee17 said:
Maybe Gm will build some of the cool new concepts that they are creating. Hopefully the Solstice will be a step in the right direction:D
Exactly! The economics make sense. If you spread out the costs of the platform then you don't have to sell as many of a niche model to make a profit. That means a more fragmented market of niche vehicles is possible.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think that is exactly right - GM has a chance to grab leadership in niche vehicles if they do this right - it is almost surely the future - I am sure Daimler would have loved to have the ability to easily switch out production of the PT Cruiser with something based on the same platform, and similar, yet different, after the sales tumbled.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hmm, you guys bring up a good point with the dealer markup. I went to plunk down money on the Miata before they hit showrooms and they were charging about 2k above MSRP. I walked out and have never considered a Mazda purchase since. I am currently deep ($$$ upgrades) into my 2003 Tiburon as it seemed my waiting for a Razor was pointless. Now the Solstice comes along, completely fitting my desires (affordable and compact rwd platform to build on). I just saw it in person yesterday at the CIAS and am now doing my research and considering how to put myself in position to sell off my current vehicle with as little loss as possible. This markup game just brought back bad memories. :mad

·
Registered
7 Posts
For most GM products, markups have not been a problem, but because Gm only intends to build 20K or so Solstices, it may become a real issue. Even if GM puts the hammer down on its dealers to sell at MSRP, people will buy the Solstice @ $20K and resell it for whatever the market will command, keeping the profit for themselves. The only way for GM to curb the problem without raising price is to build as many Solstice's as the market demands, which would be fine by me. As I understand it, the Delaware plant will only be using 8% of its capacity to build the Solstice. I believe the other model they build is the Saturn L-series which is slowly being killed off. Hopefully this will allow Gm to supply more Solstices or other Kappa mates (which would draw some of the demand for the Solstice because many people would consider them substitute goods).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts