Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer would like to discuss a deal of me leaving the car in the dealership for a little while. I am going to speak with him on Monday in person about this.

I already refused the extra warranty since 3yrs is more than enough for me. What are your suggestions on a good offer?

I already have a deal for MSRP, but should I take it if he offers to me at dealer invoice? Should I consider other options? I have a feeling whatever he offers will just be money off the price and no cash back.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It's a question of terms you can live with. Find out how the car will be showed and for how long. Base your payment on this value to you.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Excelsior said:
My dealer would like to discuss a deal of me leaving the car in the dealership for a little while. I am going to speak with him on Monday in person about this.

I already refused the extra warranty since 3yrs is more than enough for me. What are your suggestions on a good offer?

I already have a deal for MSRP, but should I take it if he offers to me at dealer invoice? Should I consider other options? I have a feeling whatever he offers will just be money off the price and no cash back.
I would be very specific about how the car is to be shown, no road tests, how will he/she be able to keep people from getting in and out of it all day. What happens if it gets scratched? I don't know if I would allow a dealer ro show my car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just a thought:

First, take the (transferable) extended warranty - you can sell it back to GM later for about $1000!!, then, how about every day that you leave the car in his/her showroom (even after you take delivery) you get a coupon for a free oil change! Come Christmas time, you will have all the gifts you need! Friends and relatives will think "You Da Man!" (unless you are female - then it would be, "You Da WooMan") - or, actually, you would be the "Oil Change Man/WooMAn".

Isn't Political Correctness nauseating!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would ask for $2,854.20 off the sale price for them to keep the car for a month and use it as they see fit (including test drives) as long as they insure the car is in 100% new shape when they deliver it to you (and of course let you take it out for a drive any time you want). First year depreciation on a new vehicle is typically around 12%, I would assume it would be much lower on a first 1k Solstice, so having them cover the whole 1st year depreciation is a pretty good deal. You could then drive it for the next eleven months for "free" and turn around and buy a 2007 if you wanted (perhaps turbo) without losing any money. Just be very certain that they insure it and that you have a waiver of liability.

·
Registered
139 Posts
del_utz said:
I don't know if I would allow a dealer to show my car.
:agree:
I'd be very hesitant to let a dealer do this with my car. If the dealer lets everyone and his brother paw your Solstice, it's more than likely that someone will damage something. It could be someone's ring scratching the paint. It could be pen in someone's pocket leaking. It could be sharp object tearing the seats. It could be someone fiddling too hard with the knobs on the radio and busting one. Unless the dealer is going to make you a real sweetheart offer (maybe $5000 off), I'd tell him to forget it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If the dealer guarantees the car against damage then what's the problem? How's it any different than every other new car that sits on the lots getting test driven for months. My bigger concern would be liability since technically you would still be the owner and could be liable if someone get's themselves killed seeing how fast it can go. That's why you'd have to be sure to have a waiver of liability and proof that they have the car insured.

·
Registered
479 Posts
solsticedreamin said:
If the dealer guarantees the car against damage then what's the problem? How's it any different than every other new car that sits on the lots getting test driven for months. My bigger concern would be liability since technically you would still be the owner and could be liable if someone get's themselves killed seeing how fast it can go. That's why you'd have to be sure to have a waiver of liability and proof that they have the car insured.
:agree: But I sure would feel a lot more anger towards my dealer if it got dinged or scratched on his lot. I'd probably feel pretty stupid for letting him/her use it. Even if they fixed it I would know it was damaged goods. I plan on babying mine, in the garage, on the road and back into the garage, no shopping center parking lots for my Sol.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've got a better offer actually. Tell the dealer that if he gives you your Solstice at invoice you'll carry a large stack of his cards around in your solstice and hand them out to everyone who asks about your car and for another $500 below invoice offer to let him schedule times for interested customers to check it out say, every other Friday from 4pm-7pm or something.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Okay, I don't know why but you've really got me thinking about this, I'm going to have to talk to my dealer about these options. Here's another one for you. You leave the car at the dealer and split the profit on all Solstice's sold while they're using your car as the floor model. That way they're not out anything unless it sells the car and you have tremendous upside potential.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Talked to my dealer about this already just batting around ideas. We haven't finalized anything yet. I thought about offering a "Test Ride" service for their customers who were on the bubble. Charge them like $100 or something to take the customer for a spin. I figure $100 is enough insentive for me to get to show off my baby and should be worth it to the dealer if it helps close a sale.

As far as leaving the car on the lot, there would be no driving by anyone but me and again a per instance fee. I will be taking my car for a few weeks upon delivery, then we'll talk about showroom time. And of course, if I leave it for a day or so, I'll want a loaner GTO. :)

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Leave the car in the showroom with a roped off perimeter. Keep the top up, except when you come by to see it. Maybe even schedule your appearances? Lock the car and take the keys with you whenever leave. Also, you could make a clever sign that says to not touch your baby! That's gotta be worth some money.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
If you don't want the extra warranty and they wont offer invoice ask for GM Accessories for free installed for free. Have them get you the Performance Exhaust, intake, mud flaps, etc. That way they also have a way of showing off these items to get people buying the cars interested in buying those as well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
take your car and run.

let GM and the dealers worry about this, many of us have been posting this for a while, there is no opportunity for people who haven't pre-ordered and who won't order until they can drive a demo car, to do so, given this allocation strategy.

if I were a dealer, I would have sold X-1 of my initial allocation (first 1000 aside) and kept one car as a demo/test driver to bring in new orders.

the other option was that GM could have pushed some of their "demo" cars into their auto show in motion events.

·
Registered
936 Posts
No way would I leave my car for the dealer. We have waited too long and we need to enjoy them and these are our cars and the dealer cannot take them. I would worry about how it was treated and wouldn't want everyone climbing in and out of it.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
ateam_77 said:
No way would I leave my car for the dealer. We have waited too long and we need to enjoy them and these are our cars and the dealer cannot take them. I would worry about how it was treated and would want everyone climbing in and out of it.
how about getting your dealership to make up some business cards with your name and the dealership on it, then give it out to interested people, and if they turn it into the dealer when buying any car he gives you 50 bucks.
you know every stoplight and gas stop will be a perfect opportunity to give them out...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree with the numerous "no way would I let tham use my car" opinions. But mostly becaue I--and I assume all of us--want our cars now to drive and to enjoy that "first in town" thrill. Even if you could guarantee noone touches your car you're still going to be on the outside looking in, for the most part, and that's what's driving all the anxiety as we wait for our cars to arrive.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I wouldn't leave my car with the dealer.. In fact, I would point out that more people would see it with me driving around. Ask them to pay for that! I currently drive a Toyota MR2. It is amazing the number of positive comments I get yelled at me at stoplights!
I also have a "thing" about the dealer's name plate on MY car. I don't like them. I tell them that I charge $$ to carry their adverstisemnts. I have yet to have a dealer pay. I set the charge when I ordered my Solstice at $1000. They politely refused to take my offer, and no nameplate will appear. While I will be happy to tell people where I bought it, I don't like carrying free advertising, especially when paying MRSP!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
No way in heck would I leave my new baby, un-supervised, at the dealership (locking it up will hardly deter someone :devil: who can easily make himself a new key). Particularly if it were a First 1000 - if someone trashed my regular allotment can - oh well, make me a new one, but the 1k cars are 'potentially' very special cars.

Now, once winter sets in (and I've had a chance to break the car in), I might consider a deal to 'show' the car for a while.
Chris said:
I thought about offering a "Test Ride" service for their customers who were on the bubble. Charge them like $100 or something to take the customer for a spin. I figure $100 is enough insentive for me to get to show off my baby and should be worth it to the dealer if it helps close a sale.
:agree:
I actually like Chirs' idea the best.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts