Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you can believe this!!!

One of the dealers in central Florida (who will remain nameless at this time) is accepting sealed bids for their first first allocation vehicle. They started taking bids a couple of weeks ago. The car has arrived, and the bids will be opened this weekend.

Any remainder Sols that come in will be sold at $1000 over MSRP.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Lakeland?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I say it is in Lakeland, it is Cool w/ all options, bidding starts at $1000 over MSRP, they called me today to let me know it is in.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gator99 said:
I say it is in Lakeland, it is Cool w/ all options, bidding starts at $1000 over MSRP, they called me today to let me know it is in.
Your Right, Lakeland Vin # 1750

What really sucks is mine was ordered 4/15

Built (3800) first week of Sept. and I'm still waiting on it!!!

Vin #1294

·
Registered
819 Posts
FloridaSol said:
Your Right, Lakeland Vin # 1750

What really sucks is mine was ordered 4/15

Built (3800) first week of Sept. and I'm still waiting on it!!!

Vin #1294
You're 1294. I'm 1292. Both of us can continue the waiting game. :willy:

My dealer said his report from DBC still show mine on quality hold, never having left Wilmington. I think this waiting game is making me more calm. I am resigned to the idea that I want a quality ride, at whatever time cost is required. Pulling a :brentil: won't help me, nor get my car to me any faster.

I am glad to see people with higher VINs than mine getting their cars. I just wish all of the F1K owners were repoting deliver of their cars. I am getting more frustrated for them. They all need a :grouphug: !!

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
My vin is 1963 here in north Orlando got my vin same time as bretil but no car. Lakeland has their car. Mcnamara in Orlando has their car but I don't waitng for a call from my dealer.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Stupid Dealers........

Actually this is a unique idea! A sealed bid auction works for the dealership, if they want the quick buck! Unfortunately, it's not good for long-term customer service. Dealerships that work this way don't understand the value of "REPEAT BUSINESS" or CUSTOMER REFERRALS". :brentil:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Interesting idea. In essence, they are letting the customers decide how much they will pay. I don't see how that really isn't fair. They could have started at MSRP, which would have been even better. Then if some joker wanted to pay $5000 more, that is is fault for throwing the extra money into it. If someone offered me $5000 more for your car than it would be worth in 6 months, i'd probably take it too.

Anybody want an overpriced Fiero? :lol:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well well, you've found my dealership, which I've commented on in my thread

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5996

Yeah, I'm the 7th in line at this dealership, and I'm not sure what I think of the whole thing. They've told me allowing this first car to go at a "silent auction" is their way to allow A customer (mind you, they reassure me it's "just this one") who is willing to pay more a chance to own a Sol.

However, I will also say that this dealer boasts about how many first allocation Sols they are getting... lets just say it's "quite a few." So I'm hoping they'll stay true to their word that this first Sol is a special case, and they won't get too excited by how much they can get on their first Sol and carry that add-on over to the rest...

·
Registered
39 Posts
This may be old news (I've been off the board for a couple of days), but I drove by the plant last weekend and there were more solstices at the plant than I have ever seen. A large number (~100) of them were wrapped in plastic bags. If you live around here then you know that it rained a lot last week. Pure speculation on my part is that the roof/window seals are leaking on some of the vehicles and that is the cause for the quality hold. Once again, it is pure speculation on my part about the leak and it may even be old news. I'm just glad they are fixing it now and not after you are driving down the road at 70 mph in the rain.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
ntouched said:
Actually this is a unique idea! A sealed bid auction works for the dealership, if they want the quick buck! Unfortunately, it's not good for long-term customer service. Dealerships that work this way don't understand the value of "REPEAT BUSINESS" or CUSTOMER REFERRALS". :brentil:
:agree: These guys might get 20 Sols (on the high end) to sell per year, so this gouging ... however they wrap it up, will loose them more money in the long run. JMHO I hope folks use common sense and stay away from these types of dealers, but it's your money ... so spend it like you wish! ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
ntouched said:
Well, it's funny that when it comes to negotiating for most cars, buyers pay no attention to the MSRP - they always expect to pay less. But when
negotiating leads to higher than MSRP, suddenly the MSRP is Gospel. I say what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I've seen many cars in my day go for over list - the first Mustangs, the twin turbo Vette,, the Lotus
engined Vette, the Mazda Miata when it came out in 1989 - some paid over $18K for a $14K MSRP car, the 1989 Corollas (!) were going for over list in my area (it was a gas thing), etc. etc. If you don't want to pay over list, then I'd suggest waiting until all those who do have gotten their cars. Shortages in car models never last all that long. I've noticed a softening
in the prices buyers are willing to pay for Solstices on EBAY - no longer can sellers count on $4000 to $5500 over list as they could just two weeks ago.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
naoki said:
However, I will also say that this dealer boasts about how many first allocation Sols they are getting... lets just say it's "quite a few." So I'm hoping they'll stay true to their word that this first Sol is a special case, and they won't get too excited by how much they can get on their first Sol and carry that add-on over to the rest...

The dealership also stated that all of the remaining cars will be sold for "no less" than $1000 over MSRP.

You might want to start checking around to see if you can get a better deal.

·
Registered
179 Posts
FloridaSol said:
The dealership also stated that all of the remaining cars will be sold for "no less" than $1000 over MSRP.

You might want to start checking around to see if you can get a better deal.
Right, well, I've been considering that this dealership may option out "my Sol" more than I wanted it to be (mine should be like $22,500), and if my car came in loaded at $25k, I couldn't afford it, especially with with the extra $1k.

Basically my perception is that "My Sol" is worth $23.5k, but not $26-27k.

Another interesting idea I've always considered is to waive buying "My Sol" when it comes in. The way the dealer appears to be operating, which is allowing the person who's been on the waitlist the longest the option to pass on or buy ANY Sol that comes in... if I were to pass on "My Sol", eventually they won't be able to sell at above MSRP (think PT Cruiser), and that time may come before I'd ever get a car from another central Florida dealer. A niave thought, but an odd tactic I've thought of which I could use to be a thorn in my dealers side for each Solstice that comes in. :willy:

"MSRP yet?" "MSRP yet"? "No? Well ok, I'll talk to you in another week!"

It's only fair, this dealer choose to take my $500 and essentially give me nothing... no particular order, no VOM, no VIN, no updates (except for.. they're coming!), only that I PREFERENCED a certain color and some options...

·
Registered
11 Posts
crawdadsolstice said:
You're 1294. I'm 1292. Both of us can continue the waiting game. :willy:

My dealer said his report from DBC still show mine on quality hold, never having left Wilmington. I think this waiting game is making me more calm. I am resigned to the idea that I want a quality ride, at whatever time cost is required. Pulling a :brentil: won't help me, nor get my car to me any faster.

I am glad to see people with higher VINs than mine getting their cars. I just wish all of the F1K owners were repoting deliver of their cars. I am getting more frustrated for them. They all need a :grouphug: !!
I'm 1216 and was told this AM by the dealer that my car was on the truck and should arrive late today or early tomorrow.....and by the way, the dealer also told me that there would be no more orders accepted for 2006 models.

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
kingarthur said:
Well, it's funny that when it comes to negotiating for most cars, buyers pay no attention to the MSRP - they always expect to pay less. But when
negotiating leads to higher than MSRP, suddenly the MSRP is Gospel. I say what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I've seen many cars in my day go for over list - the first Mustangs, the twin turbo Vette,, the Lotus
engined Vette, the Mazda Miata when it came out in 1989 - some paid over $18K for a $14K MSRP car, the 1989 Corollas (!) were going for over list in my area (it was a gas thing), etc. etc. If you don't want to pay over list, then I'd suggest waiting until all those who do have gotten their cars. Shortages in car models never last all that long. I've noticed a softening
in the prices buyers are willing to pay for Solstices on EBAY - no longer can sellers count on $4000 to $5500 over list as they could just two weeks ago.

You forget when you think is funny that buyers want MSRP to be gospel that the buyer has already had the price raised above their expectations when they first expected to pay under MSRP.

Negotiating: Dealer start at MSRP
Buyer start at invoice per Edmunds or other source

Final price: MSRP - Dealer is getting what they want (i.e. more money)
MSRP - Buyer is paying more than they expected, but reasonable considering a first model year car

The problem for some is that they are not as practiced at being a car buyer as the dealerships are at being sellers. This can lead to what could be perceived as unfair practices when you are told one thing which is not put in writing at the time you order and something quite different when it comes time to actually take delivery of a car. The old "let the buyer beware" is not an ethical business practice. An informed and respected customer is more likely to be a repeat customer and they make for great word-of-mouth advtertisers, something that is hard to account for in dollars and cents.

I know if my dealer tried to put the screws to me that I could do them more harm than they could hope to gain from that kind of treatment.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I spoke w/ my dealer yesterday eve. and she said that she would be able to help me on the price. I was half awake and she said it would be less than what I had been quoted. She was straight up MSRP before so it will now be less than that. How much I do not know. She said why but I was in shock and don't really remember what the specifics were. Will try and find out and fill in the details.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts