Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Solstice with ~ 22,500 miles on it. About two weeks ago I noticed that when braking I had to push the brake pedal down further before my car would start to brake. This issue was most noticeable when trying to parallel park. I called my dealer and took the car in and had my brakes checked and was told my master brake cylinder needed to be replaced. I had the cylinder replaced and the brake fluid flushed out per the dealer's instructions.
Shortly after getting my car back I thought I heard a noise that shouldn't be there. However, I didn't hear it again and I didn't know if it was a fluke. A few days ago I heard this noise again and this time noticed it was happening sometimes when I made a right turn. I took my car into the dealer today and get asked, after they've checked out my car, who put the new brakes on my car. I hadn't had any work done on the car since I had it into the dealer who checked the brakes and marked down that they were in "new" condition. However, now I'm being told that the brake pad is coming off and there's an issue with the rotor on the driver's side. This seems odd to me that I just had the dealer inspect the brakes and do brake work on the car and then suddenly I'm having this issue. In addition, the person with whom I spoke from the dealership was really pushy about the brake pads having been replaced (since I had last been in) and, to me, seemed to indicate that this was the reason I am now having an issue. I had to insist several times that no one has worked on my car other then the dealership and once I "convinced" them of this fact I was told that "something" must have hit the pad to cause this issue because the brake pad is only half on.

I'm not a car person and I've had my share of bad luck (not with this car). I have trolled these forums for years but only now have this question. Does this just seem like bad luck on a car that's had no mechanical issues or could the dealer have done something to contribute to this problem? I do know that the master brake cylinder is away from the brakes but it seems totally odd to me that I would have no problem before taking a car to get fixed and then suddenly have a problem with a system directly related to the original problem area.

Thanks for your replies.

·
Premium Member
17,528 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Its difficult to know.

I drove my car for 7 years and just a couple of months ago had high performance pads installed. They discovered that the left rear caliper was only held on with one bolt. apparently from the factory.

Anything is possible. However since there was a problem that caused you to take the car to the dealer for repair, it is possible that they in fact did not touch the failed brake but that it was failing already and has just completed the job.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
What Rob said. The pad "half off" does not really describe the problem, esp. with disc brakes, but the only connection I can come up with is this: Before the repair the master cylinder was leaking down and may not have been putting full pressure on the pads. After the repair, the pad was really feeling it, and the adhesive or rivets failed under the new load. Not likely, Probably just a coincidence.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
How about a different take.
The mechanic at the dealer was incompetent.
You told them you had brake issues.
Any mechanic worth it's salt would have inspected your brakes, specially after they replace a master cylinder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies.

I just picked up my car from the dealer who pointed out that it looked like a rock or something had gotten into the pad (although nothing is there now) and caused extra wear on the rotor which, according to the dealer, is why there's a noise coming from the driver's side tire. I was told that it wasn't a safety issue and that the noise would likely "go away." :/
Previously to picking my car up from the dealer I called the auto-repair shop that I took my car to for new tires (I happen to be due for a rotation) and explained the issue to them (they have a very good reputation in the area for their work). I drove right to the next shop which is only a few miles away and noticed that the squishy feel that I still somewhat felt after I had gotten the car back after the MBC was replaced was more dominant than ever and my right brake locked up trying to stop at a 25 MPH stop sign. Now, I am probably an idiot but after I first got my car back from the dealer (after the master brake cylinder) the pedal still felt a bit squishy but I did a parallel park test to see how my brakes responded and they did respond better than before the MBC replacement. I just couldn't believe that, after seven years, I never noticed my braking being different until just one day. Sorry for the segue.
The other shop verified that my car isn't braking properly and that the right brake is locking up and advised me to drive back to the dealer. I did all this stuff on my lunch break so I had to go back to work. Now, I'm going to call my dealer back and see what they are going to do about the issue.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I know from my experience with Lincoln, that the MKX had a similar issue. But the rock would kick up between the caliper and the rim and tear the caliper up. They also had a rock issue with their 22" Sport rims. A rock would get in the bead of the tire and the tire would go flat. My advice is this....was their an MPI done on your car? (Multi Point Inspection). Almost ALL dealers must now do an MPI on any RO written in the dealership. If they did, that is your ground to stand with the dealer. If they didn't, you don't have a leg to stand on. My guess is the pad has been falling off for a few weeks.... Let's totally be honest here... NO dealer will ever INTENTIONALLY harm your vehicle. I know that's hard to believe....but it just doesn't happen. Not in todays world. It's too risky for them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know from my experience with Lincoln, that the MKX had a similar issue. But the rock would kick up between the caliper and the rim and tear the caliper up. They also had a rock issue with their 22" Sport rims. A rock would get in the bead of the tire and the tire would go flat. My advice is this....was their an MPI done on your car? (Multi Point Inspection). Almost ALL dealers must now do an MPI on any RO written in the dealership. If they did, that is your ground to stand with the dealer. If they didn't, you don't have a leg to stand on. My guess is the pad has been falling off for a few weeks.... Let's totally be honest here... NO dealer will ever INTENTIONALLY harm your vehicle. I know that's hard to believe....but it just doesn't happen. Not in todays world. It's too risky for them.
Yes, a full inspection was done and the brake pads were listed as being in "new" condition.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Keep in mind people that an MPI is a totally totally "visual" inspection, except maybe when looking at wipers, hoses and belts..anything made of "rubber" I would want to physically check for cracks etc...

A more relevant question and my question is that when they replaced the MC, AND they flushed out installed new brake fluid, they had to bleed each caliper "individually"... therefore they got close and personal with each wheel..
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they need to remove the tire in order to bleed the calipers? OR can they be bled while the tire is on, and if so, wouldn't it have to be on a lift?:huh:

·
Registered
333 Posts
You can easily bleed the brakes without removing the wheels/tires, especially on a lift.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Keep in mind people that an MPI is a totally totally "visual" inspection, except maybe when looking at wipers, hoses and belts..anything made of "rubber" I would want to physically check for cracks etc...
In regards to that....most techs should see that a pad is 1/2 off the caliper! I train techs and service advisors on an electronic MPI. My company is "changing" the way most dealers do business. Most of the techs (80% or so) I've trained on our product, go beyond just a "visual inspection" of the vehicle for the MPI. I don't train them on doing the MPI, just using our eMPI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts