Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After checking on prices for the Sols that are coming in after the first 1K, We are finding that the large metro dealers that are actually getting cars are trying to add $2-$5K to the MSRP. Pontiac has made such a big deal about the $19,995 base price, but are not building them fast enough. The smaller dealers are at MSRP, but they are misleading buyers and taking orders for cars that they have no allocation for.
How can we get Pontiac to "strongly suggest" that the dealers stay with MSRP, as it is with the first 1K?
How many buyers out there have agreed to pay more than MSRP, just to get one of the first cars?

·
Registered
182 Posts
SunSports said:
After checking on prices for the Sols that are coming in after the first 1K, We are finding that the large metro dealers that are actually getting cars are trying to add $2-$5K to the MSRP. Pontiac has made such a big deal about the $19,995 base price, but are not building them fast enough. The smaller dealers are at MSRP, but they are misleading buyers and taking orders for cars that they have no allocation for.
How can we get Pontiac to "strongly suggest" that the dealers stay with MSRP, as it is with the first 1K?
How many buyers out there have agreed to pay more than MSRP, just to get one of the first cars?
dont pay it. find another dealer

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
SunSports said:
You could also report dealers to GM who are gouging. GM does not want dealers to gouge. Although they have no direct control over dealers who do ask for over MSRP, they can try to put pressure on those dealers. In extreme situations, they can pull allocation and give it to other dealers in the future to punish the worst offenders.

Other than that, follow SunSports advice and do not buy for over MSRP. If nobody bought above MSRP, they would quickly drop their price. It is a supply and demand issue. No demand over MSRP, and supply mushrooms until price comes down.

·
2,574 Posts
So far reports are that there are many fair dealers willing to do business at MSRP. Stay away from these "big metro dealers" and if enough do they will have to come into line. Networking such as what can take place here can help to limit that kind of BS. I have had no problem hooking up friends with dealers who are happy to trade at MSRP. Will this exascerbate waiting lists? It's a possible complication at first but the payoff will be worth it if it happens. So far as we can tell there are still oportunities to catch a timely deal in my area.

·
Registered
976 Posts
birdliver said:
So far reports are that there are many fair dealers willing to do business at MSRP. Stay away from these "big metro dealers" and if enough do they will have to come into line. Networking such as what can take place here can help to limit that kind of BS. I have had no problem hooking up friends with dealers who are happy to trade at MSRP. Will this exascerbate waiting lists? It's a possible complication at first but the payoff will be worth it if it happens. So far as we can tell there are still oportunities to catch a timely deal in my area.

amen...

·
Registered
64 Posts
SunSports said:
My first contacts for a Solstice were the Denver Metro area dealers who would order me one for MSRP + 5K. I continued looking around and found a small dealer, who has allocation, and is getting me one for MSRP.

Keep checking and hopefully you will find a dealer who is more interested in developing a long term realationship with a customer, rather just a short term profit.

I contacted Pontiac's customer service about the dealers charging MSRP + 5K and they told me that it was the dealers' right to do so if they wanted. The customer service rep didn't seem very concerned about the situation, even when I mentioned that it was my impression that GM did not want dealers gouging buyers. Perhaps, more of us ought to be contacting customer service and letting them know what we think of the overcharging practice.

·
Registered
854 Posts
buy a Sky, Saturn does not allow dealers to gouge.

GM won't see me buying one for +5k, that is stupid, for that kind of money I can get an even better import!

·
Registered
976 Posts
TOY4TWO said:
buy a Sky, Saturn does not allow dealers to gouge.

GM won't see me buying one for +5k, that is stupid, for that kind of money I can get an even better import!

What is this about? GM...Saturn....Pontiac...All bedfellows.....

I think that someone said more people should call Pontiac and let them know, and I think that is the best Idea so far. After all, It's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
A Promise

I promise, no dealer will sell a Solstice for more money than someone is willing to pay for it. Welcome to America! Think of it this way, the more someone else pays for the car, the more ours are worth. Besides nothing gets more buzz in the auto world than a hot car that people are paying outrageous money for.

I do not understand how any one can live here and complain about something like this.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Dogtown said:
I promise, no dealer will sell a Solstice for more money than someone is willing to pay for it. Welcome to America! Think of it this way, the more someone else pays for the car, the more ours are worth. Besides nothing gets more buzz in the auto world than a hot car that people are paying outrageous money for.

I do not understand how any one can live here and complain about something like this.
Well, maybe this will help you to understand.
GM and Pontiac are trying to rebuild Pontiacs reputation and entice new customers into their showroom. Leaving people feeling like they have been gouged will not accomplish that, and in fact will accomplish the opposite. It really is very shortsighted on the dealers part, because that's the only money they will receive as a result of this car. Whereas, my dealer has promised that they will not sell this car over MSRP, and gave it to me in writing. Because of that I feel very good about them, and will purchase my next "regular" vehicle from them. I am also referring people to them because of the treatment that I have received from my salesman and the dealership.
Does that make sense?

·
Registered
936 Posts
This is one of the biggest reasons I had to have a 1K car because I felt that would be the only chance of getting a Solstice without being gouged. Had all the dealers wanted a premium I would have walked.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did call Pontiac "customer service" to ask about pricing. She gave the standard speach about MSRP. She did not really care and she only suggested to shop around. If Pontiac wants to get buyers back in the showroom, they need to help.
I have not owned a GM product for years and this car is doing exactly what GM wants it to do. I was thinking of buying my next cars from GM. The greedy dealers are going to create a lot of bad PR. They compare the Sol to the Corvette and blame GM for the shortage. They say that they "have" to add $5K when they are only getting a few Sols for the year.
It is about supply and demand. I can maybe understand the E-Bay higher prices for the first 1K, but these are production cars.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Dogtown said:

I agree, but that is easy to say when YOU are paying MSRP for YOUR car! GM has stated that they like the fact that the demand for the Solstice is so high and there is a shortage.
What if you ordered your Sol from a local dealer months ago and were told that you would get the first Sol that they had coming in. Now you find out that the dealer mislead you about having allocation and now GM is telling them that the car will not be in until next year. You shop around and find that the car that you want is coming in a few weeks to a larger dealer, but the price is MSRP +5K.
How much do YOU love the car?

·
Registered
53 Posts
My dealer has been fairly good to work with these past 8 months, but even he told me he's going to mark up 5000 dollars on post 1K Sols. Personally, I would never pay over MSRP but here on Long Island there will be no problem finding customers with 5000$ to waste. When there was the same buying frenzy with Miatas and PT Cruisers did it affect Mazda and Chrysler badly? People seem to have short term memories for this phenomenon.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Fformula88 said:
You could also report dealers to GM who are gouging. GM does not want dealers to gouge. Although they have no direct control over dealers who do ask for over MSRP, they can try to put pressure on those dealers. In extreme situations, they can pull allocation and give it to other dealers in the future to punish the worst offenders.

Other than that, follow SunSports advice and do not buy for over MSRP. If nobody bought above MSRP, they would quickly drop their price. It is a supply and demand issue. No demand over MSRP, and supply mushrooms until price comes down.
:agree:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I feel bad for the people who didn't get it in writing that they will pay MSRP but took the word of their salsmen and now that the car is coming out the dealers are telling them 5000.00 above sticker.I know a verbal agreement isn't like a written one but can't something be done legally? It is still an agreement. I would say yes but really don't know I'm not a lawyer.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
deluke said:
I feel bad for the people who didn't get it in writing that they will pay MSRP but took the word of their salsmen and now that the car is coming out the dealers are telling them 5000.00 above sticker.I know a verbal agreement isn't like a written one but can't something be done legally? It is still an agreement. I would say yes but really don't know I'm not a lawyer.
NEVER take a car dealer especially a salesperson at only his word... I know there are some honest ones out there but to be sure you get your car for the agreed price get it in writing signed by not only the sales person but sales manager too... then you have some legal recourse you can go back on if they try to change the deal.

·
Registered
126 Posts
MSRP-Canadian Buyers

To all Canadian Buyers . What did your dealers give you for a MSRP price. Mine base price here in Calgary is $25695.00 then plus all my options. Just wanting to see what other dealers are doing across Canada
Aggressive :willy:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts