Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find a local dealer who was going to be part of the EOP and well I would assume they would listen to the rules of the EOP. I got an email back today from my local dealer telling me, if I wasnt an owner of a previous "dealer name's" car I would have to pay $1500.00 + MSRP. Plus I was told they are getting 5 in the lottery and 2 are sold.

Arent both of those items they EXACT thing gm is trying to prevent with the entire EOP program in the first place?

Im pretty disappointed and pissed right now :brentil:

I am debating to tell him, I should report them to gm, but it would do no good im sure.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Billabongi said:
I am trying to find a local dealer who was going to be part of the EOP and well I would assume they would listen to the rules of the EOP. I got an email back today from my local dealer telling me, if I wasnt an owner of a previous "dealer name's" car I would have to pay $1500.00 + MSRP. Plus I was told they are getting 5 in the lottery and 2 are sold.

Arent both of those items they EXACT thing gm is trying to prevent with the entire EOP program in the first place?

I am debating to tell him, I should report them to gm, but it would do no good im sure.
WHY are they telling you they are getting five?? THEY HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING!! The letter sent out to dealers says they might not even get ANY! I'm just hoping to get one at my dealership 'cause it is SOLD!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
i would pay it, then report them to GM. I'm sure GM would make sure to get your money back for you and seriously reprimand the dealership at the same time.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For me, gm better figure it out ASAP. If the other 2 dealers respond back similiar I will not buy one of these cars and I will not buy a gm flat out. Its one thing if there wasnt an entire program to preventing this, but thats down right ludacris.

Seems to me, dealers are going to do whatever they want regardless of what gm says, and if thats true I see the Solstice going the route of the GTO

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Maybe he should get the offer in writting NOW so he could send it to GM right away before the car comes out and he has to put the extra $ out in the hopes GM will get it back to him.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Moobs said:
i would pay it, then report them to GM. I'm sure GM would make sure to get your money back for you and seriously reprimand the dealership at the same time.
Excellent idea..... :agree:

·
4,592 Posts
Moobs said:
If you go this route, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to see moneys returned. I could just imagine what Judge Judy would say.

OTOH, maybe their charging $1500 over, but have the first Sol rebate/discount of $1500, the GM way, no? :glol:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Billabongi said:

Don't buy the car!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AJC said:
Don't buy the car!
I hope your meaning just because of the 1500 upcharge and not to me in general.

I refuse to pay for a upcharge when there is a program already saying they shouldnt do that. I have the offer in writing, in email form, from the GM BuyPower Manager already.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Billabongi said:

still have the email? why not forward it to the regional sales manager asking for a recommedation for a paricipating dealer who is going to play by the rules. i wouldn't want be involved with this dealer because he is obviously a cheat. despite what he says, if you got a '1st 1000' solstice through that crook, you could make him honor the EOP rules- but personally i'd run the other way.... and maybe drop a dime on the guy to the regional sales rep.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I sure hope that dealer listens carefully to the broadcast today. We are not the creators of this program but we have been able to flesh out most details AND everything that dealer is saying is all mistruths (lies, if you want to be that bold). Unless that dealer is somehow "connected" there is no way in H*** he can flat out guarantee that he is getting even 1 of the EOP cars. So he has two deposits already, neither of those customers is guaranteed to get an EOP, let alone 3 more. So he is saying that if you previously bot a car from him he wouldn't tack on 1500. Sounds like BBB time regardless of the EOP. Call your state BBB and report him, once you have written or taped proof of what an A**H*** he is being. That's the type of thing that will prevent a dealer from getting approval to be supporting at this and other sites.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
They just don't understand the rules, or never bothered to really read them. Don't do business with them.

Maybe one of the other dealers will give you better luck. If not, just be patient. There will be cars available. However, some dealers will be trying to make an additional profit on this vehicle.

Whatever you do, don't hold it against GM. The EOP program seems to be a good attempt by GM to limit the amount of dealer gouging by making the first 1000 cars available at MSRP to get a lot of the first "gotta have it" buyers taken care of. However, after the program, there is no way for GM to really force dealers not to gouge. A dealer can charge whatever it wants retail. The key for us is to avoid the gouging dealers, and look for dealers willing to sell at MSRP. If a gouging dealer doesn't get bites on the car, and they start piling up on his lot, he will have to stop gouging. However, if people keep buying market up cars, he has no incentive to sell one at MSRP.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Download the rules files from off of the forums in the thread MCEB setup. Print them out, highlight the parts they're violating and FAX them to their fax number. Tell them you know they're violating GM policy for this, and to either stop it or you'll report them to GM. Also you could tell them you'll report them to the BBB, and list who they are on the forums as a dealer not to deal with due to frodulent dealings. You might not want to be that severe at first, but if they don't change thier tune after you fax them the program rules I would.

More then likely the other dealers wont have policies like this. I know this is the first time we've ever heard anyone say a dealership was actually charging over MSRP, and the first time on the Apprentice 1000 too.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Brentil beat me to it. You can use our information from GM against them because it sounds to me like they are just making stuff up. Personally I'd run the other way since they sound like a bunch of liars. Info is in the link under my sig.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I made a point that I have access to the memo and package they got concerninc the program. I quoted some of the rules direct off the package/memo. He "slowly" is changing his tune but its like pulling teeth. Basically if anyone in my family has purchased a car from them ill get MSRP.

Per what he said the dealers owner set these rules last year to prevent salesmen from letting the car run up to 4-6k over MSRP. He also goes on to say they dont expect to see more then 12 solstices come through the lot the entire year!

Sounds like a line, but hes coming off the 1500 thing slowly.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Forget trying to deal with that guy directly. And going to the BBB is kind of pointless ... it seems he's violating internal GM policy, not any general business policies. The best place to go is directly to GM management. Do just as CDB says ... forward and/or fax the thing to the regional sales manager and at the same time, call GM corporate and tell somebody there (and let them know you have it in writing). That jerkoff needs somebody to come down on him from above. Otherwise, he'll keep playing you however he wants. Once you have that contact above, you can keep the dealer in line.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
It sounds to me like they either aren't participating in the EOP, don't know the rules of the EOP, or are hoping you don't. If that particular dealer is not participating in the EOP, he may not be aware of the restrictions on mark-up ,etc.

I had to contact several Pontiac dealers in my area before I found one who would talk to me about the EOP. The Sales Manager there wished me luck in getting one of the first one thousand, and told me I would be fortunate if I did because of GM's no mark-up policy on the first 1000. When I filled out one of their standard order forms for my deposit, I also made him add a note that the deposit is refundable (standard small print on the forms says non-refundable), and he didn't hassle me on that point either.

I don't know how many Pontiac dealers are in a reasonable distance to your home, but I would contact as many as you can until you find a reasonably knowledgeable and honest one.

If you find that you can't locate a cooperative dealer, then I would contact GM post haste, and hopefully get your local dealer towing the line before orders can go in on April 15th.

·
5,641 Posts
People keeping saying "download the rules" or "the dealer dosen't understand the rules". Well the rules are not due to arrive at the dealers until March 29th. Until that time it is all spectulation. The current wording is "strongly recommended to sell at MSRP". So until the actual correct infomation is received the best bet is to ignore this dealer and try to find another.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Small Dealer said:
People keeping saying "download the rules" or "the dealer dosen't understand the rules". The current wording is "strongly recommended to sell at MSRP".
Based on the Program Summary posted under the EOP Survival Guide thread, Rule Highlights include the statement "Dealers will be required to sell the first 1000 exclusive Solstice vehicles at MSRP. Not above." (see attachment)

I think there is a lot of confusion out there amongst dealers and customers alike about the difference between participating in the Early Order Program and placing an order for a Solstice against the regular dealer allotment. True we don't know all the rules of the EOP, but I think it has definitively been established that for the first 1000, there will be no dealer mark-up allowed by GM.

Alternately, if you are placing an order against the regular dealer allotment, they are free to add whatever mark-up they feel they can get away with. If the dealer says he set the mark-up at $1500 a year ago, before the EOP was announced, then he is probably considering your purchase as against his dealer allotment, post EOP.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts