Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear GM,

Please reduce the size of the Pontiac emblem on the front of the upcoming Solstice. Or if you can be brave enough, eliminate it entirely and rely on the side badges to carry the brand message.

The current-sized emblem is visually too large and doesn't look classy or sophisticated, both of which I would hope are design goals for this vehicle. I've photoshoped some front shots with a 50% smaller emblem, and no emblem, and both images look much better than the original.

Just some constructive feedback from someone with taste! :)

- ThomasH

P.S. Well, I think I have taste...

P.P.S. I would have made the images available but my webspace is full right now...

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Try reducing to a small enough JPG and upload on a follow up post.

On your vehicle, you can carefully pry it off - I will be prying ALL my badges off (assuming they are all the stick-on type, but GM hasn't used the thru-peg style in forever, or at least since the mid-late 80's).

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Vita said:
if you ask me its not that big at all. compare it to a benz, mazda, almost anything else for that matter...

:agree I don't think there is anything tacky about displaying the Pontiac badge. Afterall they are trying to build brand image. They should be proud of what they have done and the world should know who did it. As to the size, I don't think it is at all out of line with other manufacturers and in fact less blantant then some (Mercedes comes to mind). As long as the car lives up to my expectations, I would be proud to display the Pontiac brand, but that's just me.

I also agree with solsticeman, I'm sure you will be able to pry them off with no damage to the paint. No one bolts or pins badges anymore.

I wonder if there would be any concern about badges and logos on this car if it were a Porshe or Ferrari.... :skep

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
> "I wonder if there would be any concern about badges
> and logos on this car if it were a Porshe or Ferrari.."
>
This actually makes my point. The front badge on most Porsches and Ferraris (that even have a front badge) is much smaller and understated than the one on the front of the Solstice. Those are the brands I was comparing to in my head. Also those two companies are very well established with impeccable pedigrees, such that they can display their brand without a blush. As Pontiac's first attempt in this arena (unless the Fiero counts) I would recommend understatement over bravado.

And if you could see the images, it just looks better. (And when one's webspace is full, it's full. No more files of any size can be uploaded.)
My problem with the current badge is a combination of the size of the badge combined with it's placement. It's too "in your face", rather than being suave and/or subtle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay I deleted some older stuff, here's some fairly large images (1024x768), but I think you have to see it fairly large to see what I'm talking about. (What?)

Here's my favorite, the smooth beautiful brow...

And this doesn't look too bad to me, I tried to make the front badge the same size as the side badges for consistency, which meant this front badge was about 1/2 or 50% the size of the original...

Look at those two for a while, is my recommendation. I mean is there any doubt what car you are looking at? Is that a Toyota MR-2? A Honda S2000? Doesn't the Solstice with no badge look awfully nice? Then after you've looked at both of those for awhile, let's go look at the original....

Do you really think this looks better? You don't have to tell me, but just use those three images as desktop backgrounds for awhile and decide for yourself. It looks like a big zit in the middle of my prom date's forehead to me! :)

Just one person's opinion, of course. I'm very glad to hear that we should be able to remove the thing without welding a hole closed and repainting.

- ThomasH

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And why am I worried about the emblem size? Where's my state mandated front license plate going to go !! :-o

:) ThomasH

·
Registered
281 Posts
dont pry off a badge. instead, get a heat gun or hairdryer and heat up the emblem. then use thin fishing line to cut the badge away from the paint. then just clean off the adhesive. :smile

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
That's what I meant, I didn't mean literally take a screwdriver and pry the crap out of the paint... LOL!

But you are right, for the literal-minded, use of a heat gun and plastic mechanical removal are the best method.

Or you can just use a kitchen spatula :lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
License Plate - Front

Just like mentioned before I am not that worried about the logo on the front. I am worried about the license plate. How would it Look, will it take away charm from the car, or would it just be ok?

Some of you out there seem pretty talented with the editing deal, can we come up with a good representation.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I don't really see the problem with having a visable Pontiac logo on the front. I didn't think it looked too big or out of proportion on the production version at Detroit this year either.

Actually, I think it would have been nice if they had come up with a Solstice specific logo as their other sports cars have had (Corvette, Camaro, Firebird, Fiero) and used that on the front instead of the arrowhead. I am not sure what you would do with "Solstice" but having a logo unrelated to the cars name has not stopped them before! The Fiero wore a Pegasus logo, a winged horse, as the car was at one point going to be named Pegasus. Most people mistake it for a screamin chicken like on the Firebird too! :crazy

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Since we are on the topic of styling and such I thought I'd add my two cents. First let me say that I am happy enough with the car as is, but if I were to change anything on the front end it would be the head lamps. IMHO the clear see-through bling-bling look is played out. I would prefer a more traditional headlamp look.

I love the grill and the badge doesn't bother me. On the badge size I would prefer the full size vs. a half size one and I think the Pontiac arrowhead is kinda cool. However no badge looks cool too. I included a plate because we're supposed to have them here in California too. I wanted to change the wheels but couldn't find what I was looking for. Added the stripes cause I like retro stripes for some reason. Was going to change the color to dark metallic green but it takes to long. Oh well maybe later. :cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
We all have our own tastes. Until you did that picture with the license plate, I didn't have a problem with the badge. But now, I don't know. It is awful busy in front. Down here, maybe 5% of the cars take their chances and don't have front plates (mostly 'Vettes and Camaros)... I might carry the front plate in the trunk and claim it had just fallen off...
provided it will fit. :jester

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am surprised so many are concerned about leaving off the front plate. I just received a speeding ticket, and they sill didn't even notice the missing front plate... I have been driving w/o now for 4 years, and have only received one $50 or ticket to date. Perhaps I am just lucky...

In any regards, back on topic, I do like the car w/o the emblem, although I can't say the emblem really bothers me. Either way, I think the car looks great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Emblem

I think that the size of the emblem is almost perfect. It splits the grill and if you had a smaller emblem I think the grill would swallow it. I saw it at the Detroit Auto Show and I was trying to find something about it that I didn't like...well there I didn't, but after I got home and read some more about it the only thing I could find was the fact that they are putting the 170hp engine in it instead of the 240hp engine. Other than that the car is great.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I prefer cars without emblems, though that is a DIY project. For OEM I prefer the original size as to the half size emblem.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts