1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
311 Posts
Interesting find... I love manuals because i was raised on them. But i work on the road and travel about 5000 miles a month and I'm sure glad i use a car with AT or i'd pretty aggravated as is on the traffic.

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
ah......... manual transmission :driving:

not manual/book

·
Registered
350 Posts
Its a love hate for most people.

I am not a journalist and doubt we can blame them completely...I mean, how many people actually buy a car because they were told to?

Autos have come a long way. Many cars equipped with autos get better mileage than their manual counterpart. Similar to when diesel was an increased cost at purchase but less at the pump, and now its higher at both ends.

I agree with the joke that we cannot be expected to shift while texting, changing music (ipod, pandora, iheartradio, XM, sirius, memory sticks, cds, dvds, etc...) facebooking and eating while driving. We are more active today than ever. My dad does not remember changing the radio station often, barely remembers flipping the 8 track. Now, many cannot even listen to a whole song before changing it....look at DJs, they spin from one 45 sec clip to the next; never a complete song. Just run them all together with a dance beat in there as well.

I had a manual Sol and now an Auto. Many times I hate the auto but I also hated the manual sometimes; like when I needed someone to drive me home and they couldnt, or in stop n go. Power braking in the auto is so much nicer and no strain on the clutch. A better auto would be ideal. True manual auto mode.

Anyone driven an Audi TT auto? That auto shifts wicked quick and I love that. If it were RWD, it would be nearly perfect. FWD is the work of the devil.

I never wished the G8 was manual, nor my excursion; but the Bronco should be manual just like wranglers.

I am not as old as some here. I drove by myself the first time at 9. My son has driven with me in vehicle at 10 but my 12 yo neice has never started a car and will not. I had a license (permit from about sun up to sun down alone) at 14 in SD. Some states will not allow kids that dropped out of high school to get a license until 18-21.

Things change and not always for the better. Very interesting topic tho.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I hope your pop never tried to flip an 8 track. They didn't work upside down.
:lol:

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
really, unless it's a sports car, I don't think people want a standard. I've went out and bought a small pick up and a small car and wanted to get the lowest price possible and the standard was cheaper. a big SUV, mini van or truck should all probably be automatic but anything remotely fun, we should have the option. With a standard, I feel more like "I'm" driving my car rather than an automatic where you basically just steer and stop.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi there!

I love manual transmissions. My S-10 and Solstice are manuals. The Outback is an auto, but if it had been offered as a stick (and I could have found it), it too would be a manual.

I just don't like autos. They never shift when I think they should. Most of the time it's a too early upshift, but sometimes they decide to downshift for no really good reason.

That said, I don't see the manual making a comeback. Ignoring the component cost of the transmission, clutch, pedal and linkage, PCM programming and tuning, and little things like console trim changes to accommodate the manual shifter -- it is not cheap to emissions-certify a car, and doing it a second time for the manual transmission that won't sell many copies doesn't make much sense.

I've never driven a car with a flappy-paddle gearbox :) but I have driven both a BMW 740 (I think, it was for Drive for a Cure) of some vintage, and my Outback. Both have a goofy boy-racer shifter that lets you bump up or down a gear easily (unlike other cars where each gear has its own gate on the shifter). As far as I can tell, it's mostly pointless.

Maybe I just need to drive a newer Ferrari to truly comprehend how great paddle shifting is. If anyone wants to loan their Ferrari to me, I'll gladly sacrifice a weekend to do this research :)

·
Registered
577 Posts
The way I see it, I don't work for my car... my car works for me. My new Buick Regal Turbo (DD) has a "manual shift mode" when you tilt the transmission knob over to the left, to punch up and down, but I just think it's really silly.

That all being said, They're building manual Buick Regals, of all things! There were a few on the lot when I went to pick my AT Regal up. There's some real sporty cars that you can't get with a MT anymore, but you can pick up a Buick with one... and a Turbo to boot! Go figure...

·
Registered
763 Posts
I suppose I should stop calling it a "standard" transmission, eh?

·
Registered
763 Posts
This Popular Mechanics Top 10 List is more than a year old, but I was surprised by a couple of the "manual" entries.

Mazda Miata
Subaru BRZ - Scion FR-S
Audi TT RS
Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4
Porsche 911
Cadillac CTS-V Station Wagon
BMW M5
Ford Mustang Shelby GT500
VW Golf R
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

·
Registered
763 Posts
I almost forgot, juspimpin: I never miss a chance to tell people I bought a used 4-track and installed it in my 64 Comet Caliente convertible with a 4-speed standard -- er -- manual -- transmission. That's right - 4-track.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I got an AT so that my wife could drive it (when learning to drive she almost drove her father's car over a cliff and said it was because of trying to shift). So... once I got the car she decided she wouldn't drive it at all even though is is AT. As a matter of fact she has never driven it.
So now, I guess I am glad that I got the AT because of my back problems.
I have also discovered that you can to a lot with the AT, just takes some playing around. (With the AThttp://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile2.gif).

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
They tried to sell me an automatic coupe when I was shopping and I told them that if the only coupe available was an automatic I would not be buying a Solstice at all, thanks very much.

Autos have their place - I only have 3 of them, one in the family minivan and two in grand touring cars with large displacement American V8s that suit that sort of transmission (and where a manual trans was unavailable or very, very rare).

Unless you really need an auto for piddling along in bumper to bumper traffic, I could never see any sports car owner wanting an automatic, but apparently many Kappa owners are indeed 'shiftless' types.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
...and two in grand touring cars with large displacement American V8s that suit that sort of transmission (and where a manual trans was unavailable or very, very rare).
Would that be the 2 Jensens?

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Would that be the 2 Jensens?
Yes, the CV8 (1965) had all of 9 cars out of 500 built done with manual trans. The Interceptor Mk 3 all came with Torqueflites.

The broad torque band of the big block Chrysler motors seems to match well with the automatics and given that the few CV8s (my favourite as they weigh 700 lbs. less) that had manuals, used, for some unknown reason, a Chrysler truck manual not set up with sports touring in mind, I've never even thought of changing it out.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Let's just hope that A/T reliability continues to improve.

Now that GM bodies, chassis, and interiors tend to last "forever", it's the auto transmission that's the first major cost repair issue.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I've had sticks in most of the cars I've owned. My 69 Camaro is a stick with a 427 engine. Didn't want a slush box when I was looking for a Camaro. My coupe is an auto but I think Pontiac should have come up with a better shifter for the auto. I wouldn't mind having paddle shifters as long as they're instant response (no delay shift). A lot of the high end sports cars have gone dual disc auto I've noticed. I read a test of the new Ferrari Berlinetta having a 7 speed dual disc auto with 7th gear at 1:1!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts