Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Pontiac guy here new to the forum. I've had a couple Grand Am's, a Grand Prix, a Trans Am, and currently have a '67 GTO. I am on the market for a new toy and have my eye on getting a GXP coupe.

See a couple on cars.com, this one being the cheapest GXP at the moment.

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP, $33,890 - Cars.com

I have already spoken with the dealer and I can get them down to just under 30k. I am guessing I should be able to get a little more out of them when I actually go there. It is a black auto with 989 miles. Is this still to much money? I know it's more than it should be but also know people are asking a pretty penny for them especially with low mileage like this. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Chain,nice to know there is a coupe so close to me. Gongrats on your find. I've only seen one coupe on the road in Berlin,Ohio. I'm off Exit 1 so maybe I'll see yours one day. Don

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
A loaded 09 was pushing 35, auto to manual rate was 3 to 1. It's a niche car and official orphan brand which means it will continue to depreciate. 30 isn't bad, but it isn't great considering GM also gave former dealers discounts/rebates to sell the remaining inventory. A better question to ask is do you plan on keeping it forever? For folks that do, it makes paying more than you'd expect or want a little easier to live with.

In the future (20, 30 years?) they may begin to slowly appreciate, but what always has to remember is few cars are actually investment quality; sadly the Kappa isn't being predicted to be one of them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A loaded 09 was pushing 35, auto to manual rate was 3 to 1. It's a niche car and official orphan brand which means it will continue to depreciate. 30 isn't bad, but it isn't great considering GM also gave former dealers discounts/rebates to sell the remaining inventory. A better question to ask is do you plan on keeping it forever? For folks that do, it makes paying more than you'd expect or want a little easier to live with.

In the future (20, 30 years?) they may begin to slowly appreciate, but what always has to remember is few cars are actually investment quality; sadly the Kappa isn't being predicted to be one of them.
There are 6 coupes currently on Ebay right now, 4 GXP's. Some on buy it now at 25K. Keep looking, you don't have to spend 30K for them, I bought my base for 18K back in Feb, too bad I killed it.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
It is worth what you are willing to pay for it. It will sell for what someone else is willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
850 Posts

I disagree. It's rather unknown, but it's going to continue to be sought after due to it's looks, performance and mileage (GXP), certain other interesting engine facts, super limited production, and original price. Many collectible cars can be much higher priced, so the entry level price of this car is great.

The car is certainly collectible, was when it came off the factory floor, Pontiac is no more, that's huge. I think people confuse collectibiilty with Investment. No car is an investment or at least this car certainly does not fall into that very lofty category. Collectible cars can certainly vary with potential value down the line, you'd certainly not want to think this car is an original cobra, or boss 302, however it will at least maintain value as long as GM and aftermarket keep parts available. Drive them, enjoy them, care for them, try to keep miles low, and you certainly should have a buyer later on for whatever they will pay. My guess is you'd get back out what you paid for it, might get a bit more as these become more rare. That's not an investment, but it certainly is a fair return for the years of enjoyment and no real loss of $$ compared to other vehicles.

Edit: to be honest, what actually has pulled at the pricing downward I'd say is the price of a solstice or sky in general. Those had much higher production numbers, and most folks not knowing about the coupe would not understand the limited production without doing their research. As a recent buyer I can attest to us first looking at a base (convertible), then convincing wife we wanted a GXP convertible (and more $$), then SEEING the Coupe for the first time on ebay (and again just being a little too late to make an offer of more $$). When I showed her the coupe, and the added price, it didn't matter. We bought this car on ebay, pics only, never went to look at the car, had it shipped here. Was well worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts