Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the problem of the deck lid not being 100% flush with the rest of the car when it is closed? The drivers side is raised up a bit and raises up a little more when it is latched on that side. The passenger side is fine. I brought it into the dealership today and they saw the problem, but were not 100% sure what to do. They toyed with the idea of taking the entire deck lid off and checking it (they didn't). I took it home without any changes, but they said they would try to find out what, if anything, can be done. Just curious if anyone else has seen this problem.

Thanks,

Lewis
#908 Sly with Steel/Sand

·
Registered
120 Posts
Congrats on getting your car. How do you like the seats you chose? We have started off with cloth and am now toying with the seats you have.

For the rear deck lid, this popped up last week and the person said there was a screw that could be turned that adjusted the lid height. It was suggested to only make quarter turns each time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you know where the screw is located?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nope, but it sounded like the lid rested on it. Wish I could direct you which Thread it was in. Try a search.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
ATReincke said:
For the rear deck lid, this popped up last week and the person said there was a screw that could be turned that adjusted the lid height. It was suggested to only make quarter turns each time.
Actually, I believe you're referring to a thread about a hood alignment issue, but it may be a similar configuration for the trunk. Anyway, here's the thread if you want to check it out ...

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5638

Keep in mind that there may be a single post on each side that connects to a latch instead of a U-shaped loop that the hood has. If that's the case, it's possible that post may turn to adjust the height. Just speculating based on similar connections I've seen on other cars. Good luck.

·
Registered
230 Posts
HOLY CRAP MY VIN IS 907! Sorry for yelling, but I thought it was cool that lp10's car rolled off the assembly line right after mine. Not to mention it seems exactly like my car! So cool! lp10, where do you hail from?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I don't have a Sol, so keep that in mind. But as a former bodyman I can tell you that every car I have ever worked on has adjusters for both the hood and the trunk lid. Sometimes they are attached to the body and sometimes they are attached to the hood or the deck lid. Sometimes they can be turned by hand, and sometimes you need a wrench. Actual adjustment is usually trial and error. But since the dealer didn't seem to know (assuming it involved someone from the bodyshop), maybe the Sol is completely different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nix Sol said:
HOLY CRAP MY VIN IS 907! Sorry for yelling, but I thought it was cool that lp10's car rolled off the assembly line right after mine. Not to mention it seems exactly like my car! So cool! lp10, where do you hail from?
Born and raised on the Jersey Shore. Got my car on Monday 9/26 in Red Bank, NJ. Sly with Steel/Sand. Everything but Onstar and Smokers.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Marco said:
This is a shot of the drivers side when it doesn't close all the way. Trunk ajar light and chime will ring when in this position

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/27120591074.jpg&s=x4

By the way lp10splyr, Happy Birthday!
Don't know if your problem is the same as mine, but check the trunk lid, about mid way there is a post, on the bottom of the post is a material that absords the shock when the lid is closed, on mine the passenger side material was a little longer than on the driver side, they removed a little at the service dept. and mine closes fine now, just one good thrust and it closes evenly all around. Good luck and congrats. :)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'm not trying to rub it in to anyone, but my car arrived with excellent fit and finish, including the deck lid. However I have spent many years restoring old cars and doing my own body work, and I can tell you that the deck lid issue can be resolved by your dealer's body shop. Not to worry.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
del_utz said:
Don't know if your problem is the same as mine, but check the trunk lid, about mid way there is a post, on the bottom of the post is a material that absords the shock when the lid is closed, on mine the passenger side material was a little longer than on the driver side, they removed a little at the service dept. and mine closes fine now, just one good thrust and it closes evenly all around. Good luck and congrats. :)
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out :)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
AeroDave said:
I'm not trying to rub it in to anyone, but my car arrived with excellent fit and finish, including the deck lid. However I have spent many years restoring old cars and doing my own body work, and I can tell you that the deck lid issue can be resolved by your dealer's body shop. Not to worry.
:agree:
Exactly right. And that's who should be talking to you at the dealership. Someone from the body shop. They will know what to look for.

·
Registered
63 Posts
reverse problem

instead of being to low on passenger side mine is to high... prob 1/8 of inch or more. Brougt it in yesterday and dealer made adjustment that worked untill i put to up ant latched buttress... the pull of this pulled the deck lid back up. I'll be back in to get this fixed after the weekend... will post then..

·
Registered
729 Posts
Both sides of mine are good when the top is down, but the driver side pulls up above the deck lid when the buttress is attached.

I'm not sure how you could adjust that, because I would not want the tension from the top to be lessened, but I'm also not sure how you could pull the trunk lid down without it being too low when the buttress tension is not there. hhmm.......

I'll just keep watching here to see what everyone else is doing.

- bspate -

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
bspate said:
Both sides of mine are good when the top is down, but the driver side pulls up above the deck lid when the buttress is attached.

I'm not sure how you could adjust that, because I would not want the tension from the top to be lessened, but I'm also not sure how you could pull the trunk lid down without it being too low when the buttress tension is not there. hhmm.......

I'll just keep watching here to see what everyone else is doing.

- bspate -
Balance young bspate. Too much tension with the top up is not a good thing...unless you never put the top up. :) You should be able to get sufficient tension to keep the top tight without pulling up the deck lid. Isn't there an adjustment strap on the inside of the buttress?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
If I don't slam trunk hard enough sometimes I get the misalignment. Reopen and firm close always does it for me.

·
Registered
729 Posts
GO_DRVN said:
.......Isn't there an adjustment strap on the inside of the buttress?
I'm not sure, but I will definitely check!! Thanks!!

- bspate -

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have noticed this on a few cars I have seen. Seem like you really have to slam the trunk to get it to close flush, and oddly its almost always on the driver's side. So anyone found a solution? Has anyone told Mr. Lutz?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts