Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this issue with the convertible top. When you hit the trunk release, one side pops up and the other does not. For awhile a gentle pull on it with my hand was enough to pop it free. As of now? Totally jammed. Unable to get the trunk up which obviously means no storage and cannot stow the top.

I tried using the alan key method, and I tried WD40. No results. I took it to the dealer today and what I got was basically a 2.5hr wait and a shrug of the shoulders. "We'll have to do some research" seems to be code for "I have no #()@&$ clue what to do here and can't fix it" - I'm curious as to possible solutions, if anyone has encountered a similar issue?

What they told me is that the actuator (which im assuming is the small pin structure inside the hole on the deck lid) is *completely* frozen and will not move, even using a specially designed tool. I feel like I'm facing car surgery to get it off which...is not good.

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
Firstly, the actuator is at the end of a Y cable that pulls on the two catches (for the buttresses). So if one pops, it's NOT the actuator that's stuck.

Now it could be that the release catch has jammed somehow, though I've never heard of this - it's just a piece of spring wire after all (see pic). But if so, your only solution is to keep at it with the allen key (or better still a small electrical screwdriver with the last 3/4" bent at a 60 angle - use a torch to heat before bending). Keep rattling in there to see if it will free up. Protect all around the area with multiple layers of masking tape first, though.

Good how-to documented here: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/buttress-pin-won-t-release-19635/#post1091647

·
Premium Member
17,528 Posts
Sorry but this is not that uncommon. The buttress plug is held in place by a spring. The spring is pulled to the side by a cable attached to a solenoid. The typical failure is at the point where the cable that pulls on the spring latch comes loose and the spring is not pulled toward the inside of the car, releasing the buttress plug.

I don't know what the alan key method is but if you take a small screwdriver and slide it under the buttress plug, between the rubber plug and the chrome trim ring, not under the chrome trim ring, then work the screwdriver down and toward the inside of the car, you can and will push the latch spring toward the center of the car and the buttress will release. Once you get the trunk open, you can pop off the trunk lid cover and you will see the cable and where it mates with the latch. Many have done a nice repair using a lead fishing weight. You can crimp the lead weight onto the end of the cable and it will last forever. Or you can replace the failed plastic part and get the same result.

I have done this on several occasions. Go to the side that is open. with the buttress retracted into the up position so you can access the open latch, practice sliding the screwdriver into the latch as if the buttress were in place. You can rehearse the action of sliding inward, then tilting downward so you come into contact with the spring latch. Push on the spring and you have it. Then repeat that same series of moves on the side where the buttress is not releasing. Easy peasy.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Will the trunk emergency release cable still function in this case?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts