Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Deepbluegxp latest mod is a replacement tunnel brace. The first of these we ever saw was developed by DDM. Joe decided to do some modifications on his own and since I had the new high torque GM performance tune, he was nice enough to make me one.

It really has made a huge difference. The stock brace can bend in your hands.

If you follow the link you can see the difference.

Make your own tunnel brace?

Chuck

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Credit to the idea goes to DDM Works. I only built my own because I have the means to do it. Just like some have built their own A-Pillar gauge holders. I highly recommend, if you are not a DIY guy/gal, to support DDM Works and purchase their product.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
The problem is after you know the price of the material and time to make it, DMM version(s) are a little high.
Economic times are a little tough right now and vendors need to adapt in order to keep business open. My opinion of course.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I'm just wondering why people are saying this is a must have if you have a tune.

A simple answer would be nice :)

Thanks,

-Carlos
Simply put, a more rigid "platform" will help with high power more heavily loading the body/chassis system, especially in corners. Also more able to control flexing that can lead to wheel hop.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm just wondering why people are saying this is a must have if you have a tune.

A simple answer would be nice :)

Thanks,

-Carlos
Convertibles are inherently, structurally deficient and need stiffening. You really feel the difference when driving twisty roads. Did you follow the link and check out the picture of me holding the factory one? It is really flimsy and I could twist it in my hands without any problem.

Chuck

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Coming from the grassroots Miata side of things where a lot of people work on their own cars and make a lot of their own mods, it is pretty cool to see some of you guys making your own backbones, and we are happy that we found this simple upgrade, tested it and developed and brought it to market so that everyone can enjoy a better and safer handling car. Lets face it, this is one of those pieces that are a lot easier to make then our supercharger kit for the average do it yourselfer, and we knew that when we made it. We knew that it was only a matter of time, after people started realizing how great this brace that people would start making their own.

I understand that it looks like Joe made himself a backbone brace cheaper than you can buy it from us. However if you look at the cost of making the piece yourself, you have to have the tools to do it, the knowledge to do it and also the time to do it, also Joe didn't powdercoat his pieces, so add that cost in there also. In the end we are all here trying to make sure that everyone has as much fun with their cars as possible, if that means making your own pieces, cool, if you don't have the ability, tools or time then we will be here spending the money and time developing, testing and making stuff like the backbone that you can buy and enjoy.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
You are absolutely right Dave. If you factor in all the costs not to mention finding the material, it's to many peoples advantage to purchase the Backbone from you. You can't exactly go to Home Depot or Lowes to find this stuff. I for one may build my own but when I am in the market for a DDMWorks Pro-Beam in the next year, expect a call.

Thanks for all the development work that you do for our rides. :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys, remember, Joe is a certified airframe mechanic with immense experience on F-18's. This is not a do it yourself project for the even an above average mechanical inclined person. You also need the appropriate tools. Joe has written on another forum geared to kappa and performance that you should buy it from DDM.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Credit to the idea goes to DDM Works. I only built my own because I have the means to do it. Just like some have built their own A-Pillar gauge holders. I highly recommend, if you are not a DIY guy/gal, to support DDM Works and purchase their product.
Coming from the grassroots Miata side of things where a lot of people work on their own cars and make a lot of their own mods, it is pretty cool to see some of you guys making your own backbones, and we are happy that we found this simple upgrade, tested it and developed and brought it to market so that everyone can enjoy a better and safer handling car. Lets face it, this is one of those pieces that are a lot easier to make then our supercharger kit for the average do it yourselfer, and we knew that when we made it. We knew that it was only a matter of time, after people started realizing how great this brace that people would start making their own.

I understand that it looks like Joe made himself a backbone brace cheaper than you can buy it from us. However if you look at the cost of making the piece yourself, you have to have the tools to do it, the knowledge to do it and also the time to do it, also Joe didn't powdercoat his pieces, so add that cost in there also. In the end we are all here trying to make sure that everyone has as much fun with their cars as possible, if that means making your own pieces, cool, if you don't have the ability, tools or time then we will be here spending the money and time developing, testing and making stuff like the backbone that you can buy and enjoy.

Thanks,
Dave
Your products are very well designed and professional and I recommend them all the time. :thumbs:

Guys, remember, Joe is a certified airframe mechanic with immense experience on F-18's. This is not a do it yourself project for the even an above average mechanical inclined person. You also need the appropriate tools. Joe has written on another forum geared to kappa and performance that you should buy it from DDM.
And my first post on this thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts