Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just about 23 minutes ago my lovely car was attacked by deer.

i have dents in my door, and rear quarter panel. :brentil:

and my door now has a gap.

I'm pissed off! pictures :(

my reason for posting, besides needing to rant, is because i just turned 23, and i have a 500$ deductible. How hard will my insurance rape me for this?

I'm worried about my panel gap, and my rear quarter panel. I think the door and the mirror are not that big of a deal, but that rear has me worried :cuss:

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
From the photos, the door looks like it might be repairable by a good paintless dent repair guy. The rear quarter also looks repairable, but more conventionally, with panel pulling, bondo, paint.

It will probably cost quite a bit, and I think insurance is the way to go. It's not your fault, maybe the insurance company won't look too harshly on you.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
First, sorry to hear your baby is wounded.
I know this sounds Pollyannish right now, but the damage is temporary, it can be repaired as good as new, and it will be okay.

Hitting a deer or ANY animal for that matter is NOT an at-fault accident. You have no control if Bambi decides she wants to get up close and personal. And she's so fast, you seldom have time to react.

When you hit any animal it is paid under the comprehensive coverage of your auto policy, subject to the deductible. And when I say any animal, I mean it: raccoons, groundhogs, turkeys, horses.

Deer accidents= NOT YOUR FAULT.

23 years old is not an issue here.

On how much it will cost, if the deer crushes your front bumper, dents the side door AND breaks your windshield from the impact, that will be considered under one deductible. No separate deductibles for each item.

On the flip side, say you hit one deer one week, then a second deer the next week. Those are two separate accidents, and yes, you’ll have to pay two deductible. The deductible always applies per accident.

Last, if you killed that deer, you can get even by eating it. If you like venison, it’s certainly something to consider. Small consolation for the damage to your car, but if you can feed your family as a result……

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
390 Posts
QUOTE:
Last, if you killed that deer, you can get even by eating it. If you like venison, it’s certainly something to consider. Small consolation for the damage to your car, but if you can feed your family as a result……

^^Agree :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that is great to hear thank you omw41. my main concern was my rates going sky high. this is the 1st type of accident i have had since i started driving ( 15 ). I'll call my insurance company tomorrow ( geico ), and have and adjuster come out to take a look at it. I'm also glad to hear that you guys all believe that this can be repaired.
Thank you so much for the info. and yes that top will get painted

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
IMHO a good body shop will want to replace the mirror and 1/4. The door looks repairable but might need a skin. Does the window work OK? Are you gonna keep the deer hair?

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Were you able to get its Antler #s . Was it a hit and run? Sorry it happened but your OK health wise except for being upset. I hope everything turns out Ok . again Sorry

I'm pissed off! you should be , But it could have been worse ( S%#t happens )

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
IMHO a good body shop will want to replace the mirror and 1/4. The door looks repairable but might need a skin. Does the window work OK? Are you gonna keep the deer hair?
No, a good body shop will REPAIR that 1/4. Unlike the rest of the car, the rear panels are bolted and glued to the car and really difficult to replace and align properly. There's not enough damage there to require that and a good repair will have less issues than a replacement.

Anyway, that's my IMHO!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
FYI, Geico wouldn't give me a discount when I tried to switch from USAA upon moving to Russia (USAA doesn't write on Russia). They asked me if I had any claims in the past 5 years and I had for a deer strike. Since it was a claim, there was no discount. My rates didn't go up with USAA, but since the claim was on my USAA policy (as I told Geico, the deer was uninsured) Geico wouldn't consider me a "safe driver." Hope you have better luck w/ Geico. You should...

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Also, be sure not to wash it before the ins. adjuster comes out to have a look. They need to see evidence that it was an animal impact (i.e. the hair that's stuck in your mirror mount)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah that's why i put her in the garage. i just got of the phone with them, and they want me to drive to a repair shop, and meet the adjust there. they don't have an open spot until, Saturday. I don't have rental coverage, and i'm in no mood to dish out 500 $ for a rental car.... -__-

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thank you again for all of the combined info. I called back, and requested to speak with a supervisor, now i have an appointment tomorrow at 9 am. I also asked them to send and adjuster out, and they quoted they don't do that. I took very detailed pictures of what hair was on the car. I don't trust them at all. i work for a health insurance company, so i know how insurance works. fingers crossed.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have lived in Florida just about all of my life, (except when I was away in the military) I have never seen a dear and I travel the southern part of he state extensively, including the Tampa St Pete area... I know they are there, just never seen one live..

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have lived in Florida just about all of my life, (except when I was away in the military) I have never seen a dear and I travel the southern part of he state extensively, including the Tampa St Pete area... I know they are there, just never seen one live..
I'm located in land o lakes, and we have deer walking through our neighborhood. so i don't know if you are trying be a smart ass, but there are deer. like i said i've been driving since i was 15, and this is the 1st time i ever hit any kind of animal. So the odds are slim.

·
Premium Member
3,855 Posts
I have had a few run ins with deer in my time my last one being hit by two at once that said I hope you filed a police report if not get one it helps with your insurance company.I never had a problem with my carrier over deer hits as it is unavoidable .

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Kewl Hope it works out for you.. like TS said they do wonders when repairing these panels. My rear left panel behind the wheel was ripped about 2 inches . They repaired it and you can't even tell . there was a scrach at the top rear they didn't see and its still there. so I know it was repaired not replaced. :thumbs:

Tell them you only cleaned the Crap and Deer spit up becaused it smelled so bad. In N/C a few years back (1) ran into my front fender of my PT Cruiser not much damage But the crap and Spit was all over the Hood smell to hi-Heaven.

Keep your :cool:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have had a few run ins with deer in my time my last one being hit by two at once that said I hope you filed a police report if not get one it helps with your insurance company.I never had a problem with my carrier over deer hits as it is unavoidable .
i spoke with police officers, and they stated i don't have to, and they also stated and i quote " you might not even want to call the insurance company "

1 - 20 of 35 Posts