Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 08 that I sold due to massive warranty problems, the chrome on the interior driver side handle came off, slashing my hand open. The latest one that I bought from my wife, also an 08, was fine until today. It too is coming off, razor sharp, like the last one. Fortunately, I saw it before it got to me. I have heard previously, that others have had the same problem. If so, this should be a recall issue, since it causes injury. How many others on here have had the chrome break open, and second, how many have been injured by this problem?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wow! That sucks. What do you think is causing the chrome to flake off like that?
Don't know. On the current one, I noticed some bubbles starting on the handle. They get bigger, and if you put a finger on them, you can see the bubble move. The bad thing is, in addition to the cuts, is that you can't replace just the handle. You have to replace the entire door panel!

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Anything that happens to these cars you old guys automatically scream recall!

Water pumps, airbags, tops rubbing, a/c growling, hpfp ticking, and now door handle chrome coming off..

Btw mine has had all of the above.

Suck it up.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Water pumps, airbags, tops rubbing, a/c growling, hpfp ticking, and now door handle chrome coming off..

Suck it up.
Recalls are there to make buyers whole, or as much as possible, after shoddy engineering and sloppy quality control.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My driver's side interior door handle did this. I ended up using 3M white carbon fiber style overlay to cover both interior door handles.

·
Premium Member
18,503 Posts
I am working with my painter on a process to refurbish the door handles. I have a spare and am going to have him test processes and materials to first remove the plating then refinish them. I want mine a custom color, but I believe he can do a chrome finish in paint as well. Will let you know.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I just painted mine flat black because I hate chrome anyway on sports cars. I too just bought the dash kit overlay for the solstice. It covers the door handles. Looks even better when you can't see the chrome sticking out from underneath the overlay. It's a good option to buy the car color matching dash kit.

This place has many options with different prices depending on what kit you buy and how much you want to cover. This one is the 40 piece kit. They come in smaller combinations too.
http://www.dashkitspecialties.com/PCSE07A.html

·
Premium Member
961 Posts

Wondering if we could order parts separate...

Looks like #30 & #31

·
Premium Member
18,503 Posts
Mine came as two sheets that were die cut. I suspect that you would have to special order just the handle covers.

·
Registered
643 Posts

Suck it up.
Some things you suck up. Safety related items should be recalls. Something that causes injury should be taken care of before the resultant injury happens.

My 2000 GMC sierra had a recall on the tailgate supports. They would rust and snap. My wife was sitting on the gate when one went and it cut her arm. If both would have went, don't even want to think about it.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I've heard of this however, neither my 06 nor the 08 have started doing it. I think it really has to do with where you leave and the climate your car sees. I got a loaner car from the dealership and it had a sharp edge that poked my finger and I just grinded it smooth with my dremil tool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.