Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ordering my Solstice here in Canada, and I have a $900 delivery charge that i'm not sure about. Am I obliged to pay this? Or is this something I should negotiate out? I'd appreciate any advice!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Delivery charge is the extra fee they add on to pay for delivering it to the dealership from the factory I believe.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Danno said:
I am ordering my Solstice here in Canada, and I have a $900 delivery charge that i'm not sure about. Am I obliged to pay this? Or is this something I should negotiate out? I'd appreciate any advice!
Depending upon what you negotiate, they could bury the numbers anywhere. Delivery is just as sacred as holdback, and just like the fees. That money (del. charge) is money the dealer pays out, on top of the actual vehicle cost. There is almost nil chance that a dealer will a negotiate delivery charge. Besides that, the $900 CND is almost the same rate as $560 USD.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I have never seen or heard of anyone negotiating on the deliver charge (destination fee) on the sticker and figured into the bottom line MSRP. If the charge they tacked onto yours is in addition to the normal shipping charges, then you might want to try and negotiate. If it is the normal charge, I think your stuck with it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Consider this: GM employees get a discount on the base price of the car and the options, but NOT on the destination fee.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
discounts

ddecart said:
Consider this: GM employees get a discount on the base price of the car and the options, but NOT on the destination fee.
I'd like to know where you heard this, because I know FOR SURE GM employees DO NOT get a discount on it. In all cases, GM employees are not aloud to get any discounts on any brand new- first year production vehicle. I have ordered my Solstice and it is a "sold order" and I do not get any discounts even though an immediate family membr is an exec. This car is limited, and giving discounts on it would not even be feesible for GM. This is supposed to be a "low-production, low-investement/low-earning production vehicle...we just want to put our foot in the door..."
So... im a bit skeptical about this discount business :willy:
Ahh! to much information not made official!!!!!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Danno, if it is any consolation here is what I am going to end up paying for delivery:

US Inland Freight Charge $575
GM Overseas Vehicle Protection Package $250
(undercoat, transit coating, engine coating, etc.)
Overseas Transportation Charge $1009
Delivery Point Processing $453
UK Transportation, Customs and Handling Fee $247
UK SVA Inspection/Light Conversion $328

All prices in USD

All the above (except domestic freight) are additional costs that will not have to be paid for those taking delivery in North America.

I am in the military and getting one through overseas military car sales for delivery to my base in the UK.
I still feel it is worth every penny.

I can't wait to get some "glamour" shots of my Mysterious/Ebony Solstice in front of Stonehenge, Buckingham Palace, Eiffel Tower, on the Autobahn, etc . . .

Don't worry, I will be sure and post them here :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
dylan01 said:
I'd like to know where you heard this, because I know FOR SURE GM employees DO NOT get a discount on it. In all cases, GM employees are not aloud to get any discounts on any brand new- first year production vehicle. I have ordered my Solstice and it is a "sold order" and I do not get any discounts even though an immediate family membr is an exec. This car is limited, and giving discounts on it would not even be feesible for GM. This is supposed to be a "low-production, low-investement/low-earning production vehicle...we just want to put our foot in the door..."
So... im a bit skeptical about this discount business :willy:
Ahh! to much information not made official!!!!!!
OK, I don't want to blow you away here, but aren't there GMS prices for G6's? They are most defintely first year units, and I'm sure it's a brand new car.

I think the point being made by Brother ddecart is that when a GMS buyer purchases a car, they are only discounted on the vehicle, not the delivery charge. I don't think that he was implying whether there will or won't be a GMS discount for this particular unit.

It is going to be a low prod. unit, not much more than 20k units, but it still supposed to be accesible. They offered GMS on SSR's as well later in the first year run.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Frosty said:
Danno, if it is any consolation here is what I am going to end up paying for delivery:

US Inland Freight Charge $575
GM Overseas Vehicle Protection Package $250
(undercoat, transit coating, engine coating, etc.)
Overseas Transportation Charge $1009
Delivery Point Processing $453
UK Transportation, Customs and Handling Fee $247
UK SVA Inspection/Light Conversion $328

All prices in USD

All the above (except domestic freight) are additional costs that will not have to be paid for those taking delivery in North America.

I am in the military and getting one through overseas military car sales for delivery to my base in the UK.
I still feel it is worth every penny.

I can't wait to get some "glamour" shots of my Mysterious/Ebony Solstice in front of Stonehenge, Buckingham Palace, Eiffel Tower, on the Autobahn, etc . . .

Don't worry, I will be sure and post them here :)
Frosty,

You forgot the extra charge for the right-hand drive model. :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Frosty said:
...I can't wait to get some "glamour" shots of my Mysterious/Ebony Solstice in front of Stonehenge, Buckingham Palace, Eiffel Tower, on the Autobahn, etc . . .
Now THAT will be :cool: :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
conejo148 said:
OK, I don't want to blow you away here, but aren't there GMS prices for G6's? They are most defintely first year units, and I'm sure it's a brand new car.

I think the point being made by Brother ddecart is that when a GMS buyer purchases a car, they are only discounted on the vehicle, not the delivery charge. I don't think that he was implying whether there will or won't be a GMS discount for this particular unit.

It is going to be a low prod. unit, not much more than 20k units, but it still supposed to be accesible. They offered GMS on SSR's as well later in the first year run.
Yes the reason for G6 discounts is becase they are a G6 not a Solstice. lol
Im not sure if he was implying whether there will or won't be a GMS discount for the solstice if he was... i think he may be wrong.
i think our best bet is to wait it out and find out at the point of sale. Thenwe will know for sure. I was told no, and they were quite strict about that.

·
Registered
338 Posts
dylan01 said:
Yes the reason for G6 discounts is becase they are a G6 not a Solstice. lol
Im not sure if he was implying whether there will or won't be a GMS discount for the solstice if he was... i think he may be wrong.
i think our best bet is to wait it out and find out at the point of sale. Thenwe will know for sure. I was told no, and they were quite strict about that.
Ya, all we can do is wait. I'm in the same boat as the GMS/Supplier people. GMS program is strictly voluntary, and is a vehicle by vehicle decision 1st by GM, and then the dealer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wiggle

Per UAW agreement, there is no wiggle room in destination charges.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Danno said:

Forget about the dest. charge and the msrp and just pay the 1 to 2 percent over invoice which is typical on most cars. You probably won't be able to when the car first comes out but if you can wait till later when the frenzy dies down you should be able to. How long that will be depends on how long a very strong demand last. :yawn:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
ESERIES3 said:
Per UAW agreement, there is no wiggle room in destination charges.
Shouldn't you have meant Teamsters? That's who delivers the vehicles.

·
Registered
92 Posts
dylan01 said:
I'd like to know where you heard this, because I know FOR SURE GM employees DO NOT get a discount on it. In all cases, GM employees are not aloud to get any discounts on any brand new- first year production vehicle.
I was speaking in general terms, not Solstice-specific. For any car that employees can get discounts on, the discount is not extended to the destination fee.

And actually, employees are allowed discounts on most all first-year vehicles. There are a few exceptions on occasion, but not many.

·
Registered
338 Posts
ddecart said:
I was speaking in general terms, not Solstice-specific. For any car that employees can get discounts on, the discount is not extended to the destination fee.

And actually, employees are allowed discounts on most all first-year vehicles. There are a few exceptions on occasion, but not many.
I have heard that there will be a limited allcoation of GMS units, just like the SSR's/Z06's. It's from a very reliable source, inside the company. Seems to make sense.

BTW, we get 1 SOL for regular retail per estimated allocation, and it's already spoken for.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
conejo148 said:
I have heard that there will be a limited allcoation of GMS units, just like the SSR's/Z06's. It's from a very reliable source, inside the company. Seems to make sense.

BTW, we get 1 SOL for regular retail per estimated allocation, and it's already spoken for.
Allocations came out yesterday, didn't they?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts