Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just ordered my Cool Color Fully Loaded Solstice today from a dealership in FL. The sales man said I should received delivery of my Vehicle by Mid July. After reading though this forum I am wondering if this is possible because I see the ship dates for the first 1000 are stretched to October. Any input on this matter would be great.

Regards,

Craig

Never thought I would be buying a new Pontiac (thinking Honda- Porsche) hopefully they stepped up to the plate this time......
:willy:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Salesmen....Argh.

Wouldn't count on it...the 8,000+ orders ahead of you would be surprised.

They haven't even started regular production yet.

RadRiv

·
5,641 Posts
RADRIV said:
That is something everyone needs to understand.

Pontiac has 8,000+ orders (based on info in their emails). But all 8,000+ are not ahead of someone such as "thesage" (and welcome by the way) who just ordered on Friday May 27th. Based on the allocation system, where the order is on the dealer's list, and when dealer gets their allocatioon built, "thesage" could beat several hundred to a few thousand of the 8,000+.

That being said, without details of the dealer's allocation, July is very much a long long (did I mention long) shot. But hang in there, keep reading here on the site, keep asking the dealer for updates, and remember-when it comes all the wait will be forgotten.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Small Dealer said:
That is something everyone needs to understand.

Pontiac has 8,000+ orders (based on info in their emails). But all 8,000+ are not ahead of someone such as "thesage" (and welcome by the way) who just ordered on Friday May 27th. Based on the allocation system, where the order is on the dealer's list, and when dealer gets their allocatioon built, "thesage" could beat several hundred to a few thousand of the 8,000+.
I am sure this has been asked and answered before, but does a first 1000 car count or not count toward the dealer's allocation. For example, a dealer has an allocation of 10 cars and has sold one first 1000 car. Does he get an "extra" car as a result of participating in the promotion or does he lose one of the 10 so that he has 9 cars left to sell?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
I am sure this has been asked and answered before, but does a first 1000 car count or not count toward the dealer's allocation. For example, a dealer has an allocation of 10 cars and has sold one first 1000 car. Does he get an "extra" car as a result of participating in the promotion or does he lose one of the 10 so that he has 9 cars left to sell?
No it's a seperate deal, so that dealer would get 11 then.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Just back from my dealer. He now has 12 ordered, with a first allocation of 9. They still have zero (0) information. No brochures, no posters, no information. All twelve orders just sitting in the order bank.

Maybe Pontiac thinks it snows 12 months of the year in Canada so didn't feel it necessary to give their Canadian dealers ANY support for a roadster.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
thesage said:
Hello all,

Just ordered my Cool Color Fully Loaded Solstice today from a dealership in FL. The sales man said I should received delivery of my Vehicle by Mid July. After reading though this forum I am wondering if this is possible because I see the ship dates for the first 1000 are stretched to October. Any input on this matter would be great.

Regards,

Craig

Never thought I would be buying a new Pontiac (thinking Honda- Porsche) hopefully they stepped up to the plate this time......
:willy:
Wlecome to the forum!

I wouldn't count on a mid July delivery. GM has not started producing Solstices yet, and just sent people who ordered one of the first 1000 informing them that there has been some delays in starting production.

Once they do start production, it, they will build those first 1000 cars first before moving onto regular orders. So even in a best case scenario where they start production next week, chances are the first EOP cars won't be delivered until July, much less the rest of them.

Just be patient and keep checking the forum for updates!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank You For the Info

Thanks everyone for the information.

I knew this was to good to be true looks like I was lied 2. Going to visit the dealer right now.

Will keep everyone updated on my progress.

Craig

·
Registered
269 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
Just back from my dealer. He now has 12 ordered, with a first allocation of 9. They still have zero (0) information. No brochures, no posters, no information. All twelve orders just sitting in the order bank.

Maybe Pontiac thinks it snows 12 months of the year in Canada so didn't feel it necessary to give their Canadian dealers ANY support for a roadster.
Unfortunately in BC, even though we don't very often go below freezing in winter, we are out to lunch as far as receiving anything in number. Your Ontario dealer has a first allocation of 10 cars and all of BC has a first allocation of 4 vehicles.

I went to the dealer last night and he's talking next year for my order even though it went in the day they were allowed to take orders. How is that fair????

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
IT IS NOT!

Would make more sense to be shipping Solstices to the lower mainland in Nov/Dec than to Ontario.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
thesage: Without saying what dealership you went to, what part of FL are you in?

Also did your dealer tell you if you're part of their "first Four Month Allocation"? If so you'll more then likely have a good chance of getting the car before the end of the year. However if you're AFTER their first four month allocation you 'might' still have a chance of getting one this year depending on how far down the dealers order list you are and when production finally starts.

Here's a checklist of things to take to your dealer and ask them in order;
  1. How many cars are in your 4 Month Allocation?
  2. Is my order one of your 4 month allocations?
  3. ----(IF YES) What number am I in your first 4 month allocation?
  4. ----(IF NO) What number am I after your first 4 month allocation?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
CanSol said:
Unfortunately in BC, even though we don't very often go below freezing in winter, we are out to lunch as far as receiving anything in number. Your Ontario dealer has a first allocation of 10 cars and all of BC has a first allocation of 4 vehicles.

I went to the dealer last night and he's talking next year for my order even though it went in the day they were allowed to take orders. How is that fair????
:agree: It's not!!

Also, as to ship order, anyone who knows for sure please correct me! But, from my old (very old) days of car sales (3 months... I was in a bad place in my life! LOL) I believe it will go like this;

1. Start of REAL production plus about 3 weeks to see FIRST retail delivery. This (from Pontiac) WILL BE an EOP car as they have assured us they ARE producing those first.

2. Production is building in color waves, SO EOP and Allocation orders will get mixed, BUT it seems Pontiac plans to "sort out" the EOP's and ship them first.

3. Dealers will get their allocation cars in "waves". The higher the dealers first 4-months allocation is, the more cars he will see sooner. It will take MOST of the 4 months to receive his FULL 4-month allocation total. They WILL NOT receive the total count of their allocation in ONE SHIPMENT.

4. Due to this, someone who just ordered (like thesage... welcome) MAY be HIS/HER dealers #1 allocation car and therefore receive it prior to someone who was their dealer's #6 allocation order way back at Apprentice day!

5. Anyone whos order number is GREATER than their dealer's TOTAL 4-month allocation WILL NOT see their car until the next allocation shipments begin. And based on the timeframes we are seeing that will probably be next year.

OK everyone, please correct me if I have NOT stated this correctly as I want to be sure to understand this also! I am not stating the above is gospel, just MY UNDERSTANDING OF IT that I believe is accurate.

GO....

·
497 Posts
Sol Cruisin said:
2. Production is building in color waves, SO EOP and Allocation orders will get mixed, BUT it seems Pontiac plans to "sort out" the EOP's and ship them first.
I never considered cars would be in color waves but it makes complete sense; now I want to know the color order! :)

My understanding of all the information so far is that the first 1000 will indeed be the first 1000 retail orders, but they may not necessarily be delivered "first" but delivered with a mix of first allocation orders.

·
Registered
61 Posts
CanSol said:

The customer is always right, and it seems BC really isn't that much of a customer of pontiac cars, otherwise there would be a greater allocation, like in Ontario, where they obviously sell more pontiacs.

I do agree that it would be a better idea to sell in BC versus Ontario in fall and winter, but even though the cars are being delivered prolly for the most part in the fall, they aren't SOLD in the winter, they have been sold in early spring. If winter 06 they have them sitting in lots in Ontario you might see them being moved to sell in BC. Sucks to hear you might not get yours in the first four months. Good luck with that

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
DCLocal said:
I never considered cars would be in color waves but it makes complete sense; now I want to know the color order! :)

My understanding of all the information so far is that the first 1000 will indeed be the first 1000 retail orders, but they may not necessarily be delivered "first" but delivered with a mix of first allocation orders.
If you could get a tour of a modern car plant you would NOT see all the silver cars being built on Monday followed by only green on Tuesday, etc. They do have a minimum of 5 or 6 cars to use up a minimum batch of mixed pigment and they could very well paint all one color on a certain day, but them would set the bodies aside. Modern mixed production allows for constant mixture of colors, both int and ext as well as any combo of options. Take a look at Mercedes which in their plant here in the US brings in PAINTED body parts from about 3 different locations.

Maybe they will build by color for the first 1030. We'll have to wait and see. By no means however could any cars be shipped by mid July if initial production doesn't start any earlier than 7/18.

How many built cars can they stockpile at the plant to double and triple check QC before loading on the transporters? I'm sure they can't store 1000 but that could be part of the gameplan, mass shipment all at once.

·
Registered
381 Posts
FWIW, we visited the Corvette factory back in 1998 & I could swear that the cars going down the line were all different colors. (Just asked my wife & she remembers it this way, too.)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
RADRIV said:
Salesmen....Argh.

They haven't even started regular production yet.

RadRiv
The way I figure it i'm in the 1500-2000 range for orders.. I still think i'll get mine Mid July-Augest

·
Registered
405 Posts
Modern Paint plants can switch colours on the fly, with different colours side by side, I seen this at Ford truck plant in Oakville and was quite surprised, I do remember when they would colour batch, maybe the Delaware facilty is still useing an older paint system

1 - 20 of 26 Posts