Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a question for all the car purchasing experts on this forum.
I ordered my solstice back in the middle of august. Dealer said hopefully I will get it by the end of the year (it's in the initial 4 month allocation). The problem is, I just got offered a job that's pretty far away (2200 miles). I had always been looking for a new job so a while ago I asked the dealer if the solstice could be delivered somewhere else. They said that since they ordered the car, it must be delivered to them. Is this true? Is there any way to get my sol delivered somewhere else without spending more money? Of course, all my family members said they'd be more than willing to drive it to me (yeah right! :lol: ).

Side-question: What's it like driving a convertible in the Seattle area? I'm worried about rain....

·
Registered
124 Posts
piGuy said:
Side-question: What's it like driving a convertible in the Seattle area? I'm worried about rain....

Generally, you put the top up when it rains.. :lol:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Seattle - Are You Experienced?

Seattle Rain Festival January 1 to December 31.

Seattleites don't tan - they rust.

True "locals" (i.e. born here) have a genetic defect that causes webbing between the toes. Some are born with gills...

When the sun comes out, people sacrifice a duck to the rain god.

If it ain't rainin', the top is DOWN. This usually happens at least TWICE in August.

There's a reason why everyting is so green. Actually two. Slime and moss.

Keep Washington green - bring money.

:cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cdubya said:

True "locals" (i.e. born here) have a genetic defect that causes webbing between the toes. Some are born with gills...

If it ain't rainin', the top is DOWN. This usually happens at least TWICE in August.

:(

·
Registered
145 Posts
Cdubya said:

We also can't drive in the sunlight (true fact actually).

·
Registered
22 Posts
But, seriously...

Three of my last four new cars were convertibles.

I wasn't born here - no webs or gills. I have, however, lived here longer than most people on this forum are old, and can tell you "The bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle". (Boy, that sounds like a great song title, eh?)

Many more days are "overcast" than are actually rainy/drizzly.

Don't tell anyone - we've got too many people here already!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sol2 said:
We also can't drive in the sunlight (true fact actually).

I lived in Oregon for 5 years, my son is there now. We have spent enough time in Seattle to wonder how anyone can find space on I5 to drive! ;)

Head away from the city.. East or west. Lots of fun roads and things to see..

I had an old TR4 when I was there, with the removable roof section.. which unfortunately couldn't be taken with you. That limited my range somewhat for top-down driving.

BTW, the secret mostfolks in the NW DON'T want you to know is that the spring and summers are realitively dry and warm. Just last summer, my son was complaining he really wished it would rain-- he missed it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's the rust situation in the northwest?
Here in the midwest, cars rust as if steel were going out of style...

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Dealers have the option of using what is called the "courtesy delivery program" which would allow your car to be delivered to another dealer in a different part of the country. It seems that many dealers/salesmen don't even know about it due to the fact that it's not used that often. So ask to talk to the manager or owner and specifically mention the name of the program to see if they can find out for you. I think there may be a small additional fee of a hundred bucks (or maybe a couple hundred) as a handling fee for the other dealer or something. But you should be able to do it. Of course, there is the possibility that your dealer does not want to do it for the Solstice so he keeps those cars in town. It doesn't hurt to ask though ... at least get them to acknowledge that it can be done if they want to.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Since we don't get snow, they don't use salt on the roads. Rust is usually not a problem unless your car is very old.

·
Registered
124 Posts
58MGA said:
Since we don't get snow, they don't use salt on the roads. Rust is usually not a problem unless your car is very old.
And in areas that do get snow, they generally use crushed volcanic rocK. I was skiing in Bend Oregon last year, and there was a red dusty haze in the air from the cinders.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Son of EastOcean here with my Pacific Northwest comments....

The PNW can be thought of as having 2 seasons, Winter and Summer (with a few weeks of very lovely fall and spring in between them). In the Winter, its chilly, overcast 90% of the time, and the rain comes in either day-long drizzles, or random short spurts of sprinkles. Winter is a good time to keep the top up on your Solstice, as it would be pretty chilly to drive around anyways (Yes dad... it does get cold, even with the heater on).

In the summer, you put the top down, and leave it down. It will rain roughly once between April and September, and everyday should be PERFECT convertible weather, with temperatures in the 70-90's.

All in all, my recommendation is to get your car delivered to the dealer, fly home to get and, and drive it back to Seatle. It'll be memorable trip in your new car.

·
Registered
124 Posts
webin said:
Son of EastOcean here with my Pacific Northwest comments....

OK, SON, Nice Comments, and very true. I do miss the Northwest, But you STILL aren't getting MY Solstice!

·
Registered
145 Posts
webin said:
The PNW can be thought of as having 2 seasons, Winter and Summer
Also known as The Season of Cold Rain and the Season of Warm Rain.

·
Registered
145 Posts
58MGA said:
There is the salty air coming from the ocean, but since it rains a lot (frequency wise), it doesn't sit around long enough to do any damage. Actually, the city folks have to worry about corrosion more since you have all the pollution/ acid rain.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
cdubya: you provided us a barrel of laughs, thanks. Here's one to add to your collection:

It only rained twice last week in Seattle. The first time it rained four days, but the second time it only rained three days.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Hopefully one of our dealers can answer the shipment question.

·
Registered
292 Posts
piGuy said:
Hi all,
I have a question for all the car purchasing experts on this forum.
I ordered my solstice back in the middle of august. Dealer said hopefully I will get it by the end of the year (it's in the initial 4 month allocation). The problem is, I just got offered a job that's pretty far away (2200 miles). I had always been looking for a new job so a while ago I asked the dealer if the solstice could be delivered somewhere else. They said that since they ordered the car, it must be delivered to them. Is this true? Is there any way to get my sol delivered somewhere else without spending more money? Of course, all my family members said they'd be more than willing to drive it to me (yeah right! :lol: ).

So who you going to work for Boeing or Weyerhaeuser? :) I worked for a division of the latter a while back and was told that if you live in the Seattle area most likly you work for one or the other. :lol:

58MGA said:
Weyerhaeuser sent me to Seattle one winter. I was told it never snows and doesn't get real cold. The week I was there was the coldest in years and had about 6" of snow. :lol:

P.S. That has to be one of the most beautiful areas of the country. Just don't think I could get used to the dreary weather.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
It CAN be done

Sorry, I didn't even notice this thread until my wife pointed it out. I'm in the Air Force, and I got orders to move to California after I had ordered my car in the Baltimore/DC area. After it became obvious that the car wouldn't be delivered to the east coast in time for my move, I started looking into my options. The best option is to have the car "drop-shipped" to a dealer in the area of your new home. Your dealer can pick an alternate destination for shipping, so long as it is another GM dealer. The one I went with in California is charging me $200 for the prep and paperwork fees, which I find very reasonable. I DID have to add California emissions to the car in order to take delivery in CA, though - even though I will never register, tag, or title the car in CA.

SlySol already pointed out what needs to be done. You might have better luck talking to the fleet sales manager at the dealer you are purchasing through. My dealer either didn't know about the program or didn't want to do it at first. I had to keep at him until he finally agreed to it. I just used the angle that I wanted him to handle the shipping of the car from his dealership to me in California if it was going to be delivered to him. That pretty much lit a fire under his a$$ since it would be more headache than simply coordinating a drop-ship with my dealer out here.

Be persistent. Good luck! :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts