Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Delivery is more then likely based on build order. So places that get their Solstices built first get cars first.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I have not heard of any priority based on geographic location for deliveries.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Ship 'em as they come off the line.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Here's a scenario...

Closer locations will ship by truck.... One truck will deliver 8-10 cars. One truck might hit anywhere from 4-10 dealers for the first 1,000. (I'm guessing not many dealers had multiple orders... at least no more than 5 cars?)

Once the logistics person has a truck load they'll call in the driver and get him loaded and on his way. At that point it's all driving and unloading time. The driver will likely want to turn around and get another load to keep his paycheck big.

More distant destinations are going to ship by train. I have no perspective on what fits in a rail car (20 -30 cars?). When I've seen railcars there always seems to be about 20 of them. So that would be about 400-600 cars probably dropping off in 3-4 central depots throughout the US. It's possible they would ship all the first 1,000 by truck just to get them out faster, but that's an expense call that will be pretty high up on Pontiac.

Anyway.. there are several factors for the train scenario.
1) Cars will need to be staged according to destination. You won't put an Illinois Solstice in the same railcar as one for Washington state. Soo.. enough cars will have to be pooled for efficient shipping.
2) Can Wilmington LOAD railcars? If not they'll all be driven (or trucked) to a rail loading compound. Again. trucks need to load the cars, strap them down drive them over, unstrap them and then stage them.
3). Once at the regional distribution centers, they will be unloaded and restaged. Then the trucks will be scheduled to load up. The question here is how many truckloads can be shipped in a day. There is a finite crew on hand at the regional center and I can't see GM adding staff for a temporary blip in their delivery schedule. Any of you GM guys got logistics information?
4). Again.. same scenario as the closer in deliveries... Trucks will have to hit multiple dealers (although at the regional centers they will have to opportunity to take on more cars (GTO's, G6's etc) going to a given dealership.

It's complicated... that's why the logistics guys get the big bucks... LOL

·
Registered
350 Posts
It isn't really cost effective to drive to a dealer to deliver a single car. I say a more likely senerio is that all cars (except for maybe the close ones) get sent to a main shipping (could be several of these in the US) area for all of GM, if not GM at least pontiac. Then the Sols, mixed with other models get shipped by train to a local holding area. This is where they get loaded onto a truck going to one dealer or maybe two where the cars get delivered.

Don't know if this is how it is done for sure, but I think that it would be the cheapest way. I don't think that GM is going to lose over $200 per car to have them get there a week earlier when shipped individually.

It isn't good for us, but it would make sense.

·
Registered
305 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
It isn't really cost effective to drive to a dealer to deliver a single car. I say a more likely senerio is that all cars (except for maybe the close ones) get sent to a main shipping (could be several of these in the US) area for all of GM, if not GM at least pontiac. Then the Sols, mixed with other models get shipped by train to a local holding area. This is where they get loaded onto a truck going to one dealer or maybe two where the cars get delivered.

Don't know if this is how it is done for sure, but I think that it would be the cheapest way. I don't think that GM is going to lose over $200 per car to have them get there a week earlier when shipped individually.

It isn't good for us, but it would make sense.
Boo Hoo Hoo!!! :(

I don't want my car sent half way across the country and back again, when I am 100 miles away from the plant!!!!!!

But maybe there is a holding area in Phil. which would keep it close. I hope so.

But You are probably right.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Bought_It said:
I don't want my car sent half way across the country and back again, when I am 100 miles away from the plant!!!!!!
Me too! I save them the trouble and pick it up myself ;)

·
5,641 Posts
Excelsior said:
Has there been any official word about any particular states (winter states) getting their cars prior to the non-winter states?
Keep in mind that several "winter states" also have Zip Codes that start with Zero. So Pontiac will not let them play in any reindeer games.

·
Registered
600 Posts
mceb said:
I really wish we were able to go pick the car up. I live in Eastern Oklahoma and would enjoy the drive home.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Newest First

Yesterday in Portland one of the GM guys said that they "might" send the cars to the East Coast and West Coast first. The reason for the West Coast was that GM sales have not been that strong there. They do plan to ship the first 1000 first.
By the way, the cars look great and the GM folks were really nice. Mine is on order.

·
Registered
305 Posts
SunSports said:
Yesterday in Portland one of the GM guys said that they "might" send the cars to the East Coast and West Coast first. The reason for the West Coast was that GM sales have not been that strong there. They do plan to ship the first 1000 first.
By the way, the cars look great and the GM folks were really nice. Mine is on order.
And of course the coast lines of any country are where most of the people live (in general).

I hope some lucky individuals will be driving thier cars in say , 2 weeks????

Possible????

I think so.

Pure Optimist, Sly All The Way!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
The only time that they would move cars one by one would be to take them to the train depot. In that case you balance the time of loading and unloading the carrier vs. driving direct to a nearby rail location. Once upon a time I saw that done in Lansing with the "Hurst Oldsmobiles"... They took them to Demmer Tool and Die for the mods then drove them back to the plant. That was about 3 miles from the plant. If they'd put them on a truck they'd first stage them, drive them on, strap them down.. drive them to the rail, unstrap them, drive them off and restage for the rail...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
mceb said:
I know that Chevrolet has a Museum pickup program for the Corvette, where you pick up your new Corvette at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green Ky...http://www.corvettemuseum.com/ncm_delivery/index.shtml
Last time I was there they had 3 cars sitting out front waiting on the new owners to pick up. I think the cost was around 500 dollars to pick it up but you got special paperwork and some other perks ... I also remember reading that they were going to try a program where all new Corvettes come with a website and a code number where you could input to the website and it would tell you the scheduled build time and date, then you could access their webcams and watch your car being built... now wouldn't that be awesum...

·
Registered
905 Posts
I think Porsche has a similar system, but I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
936 Posts
There is a holding place in Marion Oh. I don't know if GM uses it but they have anything that comes in on trains there. I did notice once there were hundreds of Chrysler products there and I am always seeing car haulers going in and out of there but never really paid any attention to what was on them. I will keep my eyes open. Maybe this is why Columbus area gets their cars quicker than others.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Adrenaline said:
I think Porsche has a similar system, but I could be mistaken.
I think Mercedes and even Volvo had or do have programs to pick up car in Europe, drive around for your month-long vacation, return the car to plant where they go back over it with a fine-tooth comb. You fly home, the car gets shipped and a month later you are reunited.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
mcbman said:
Columbus area gets their cars quicker than others??
I hope thats true!
Small Dealer has a thread if you search for threads started by him. He did an analysis of deliveries of other vehicles across the USA. OH got all of thier cars in like 3 days or something short like that. Compared to here in Florida where it could take upto 20+ days to arrive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts