Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
i liked the look but not much else at the time. if the price was right, i could be tempted

Bill
I had one. loved the looks then and still do. Had lots of problems with the electrical system (lucas) and coolant leakage due to all the plumbing which ran the length of the car. Finally fixed the leaking but was never satisfied with the electrics. The bonnet was large but only about 6" deep so no spare tire. Lots of room behind the seats for luggage. Could not order any drinks at a drive through. they would'nt fit through the tiny portion of the window that would roll down. Wonderful car for highway driving but no rear visibility at all. All minor problems that could be fixed modern electrics and backup cameras. If the price was right, I would own another one, warts and all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a DeLorean owner (DMC #10515) and I know that stories about the DeLorean get a lot of clicks / likes, but every year, the fake DMC in Houston releases the same story about building "new" DeLoreans. In fact, they've been saying the same thing since August 21, 2007 (13 years ago): (can't insert the link, but search google for "Texas Entrepreneur Set to Start Building DeLorean Cars" to find the story on FoxNews from August 21, 2007)

Many DeLorean owners believe that the Houston company is just trying to bump up their awareness so they can be bought by some other company.

Also, if they ever DO build "new" DeLoreans, with updated parts, the last we heard, the car would be over $100,000. You can buy a great condition original DeLorean for $50,000. Or, buy two poor condition DeLoreans for $25,000 each, and then spend another $50,000 on customizations and have a better car than what the fake DMC would build.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have heard for years that the Texas bunch had enough OEM parts to make one from scratch even way back when... but seeing as Hagerty reported this i thought there might be some validity to it.

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
One of the biggest issues for these limited production vehicles were the laws that were in place .The Low Volume Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Act was supposed to address those concerns but from what I have read there are still issues with this and many of these groups are taking a wait and see attitude .

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Was never that hot on the DeLoreans looks.....I liked the BRICKLIN much better.
I never liked the front bumper treatment on the Bricklin, but didn't hate the cars - a friend owned one. They were just dead slow and had horrid handling, but aside from that...

The Delorean styling is a bit dated today, but not nad. I think dtavres' comment about price is right on, though. Buy a 'real' one and restore it however you want it to be.

They could do worse than to use an LTG Ecotec in the thing - heck, when the Cobalt was still current, they could have just stuck a Cobalt SS LNF and trans in it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts