Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago, I stopped at a couple of dealers to check out some new Solstices that had come in (and test drove one).

The dealer was telling me he has had a LOT of people to stop in and look at it, and inquire about ordering, only to be disappointed that they could not order an automatic yet. He was really surprised at the demand for autos, and thinks he would have more orders for autos than he does for manuals (of which he does have a good number) if it were available.

If this anecdotal evidence is any indication, the biggest demand for these cars may not even hit yet with a lot of people waiting for the availability of the automatic!

:eek:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Fformula88 said:
... the biggest demand for these cars may not even hit yet with a lot of people waiting for the availability of the automatic!

:eek:
That might be good news - help to keep demand from getting totally out of hand before production has a chance to catchup.

:skep: looking for that silver lining...

·
Registered
184 Posts
A dealer we spoke with said the same thing yesterday. They have had quite a few people say they will wait until an automatic comes out.....

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
We'll have another backlog next year on automatics :brentil:

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I had a person stop to talk to me about my car yesterday and ask about it being an automatic. When I said it was a stick and that the automatic wouldn't be available until next year they said, "Don't worry, you can trade your stick in on an automatic next year." I almost choked. I suppose there are a lot of people who think a stick is a step down from an automatic. We need to run classes to educate these people! :lol:

·
Registered
819 Posts
Some people just don't understand those of us that prefer a stick. Some think that an automatic is the only way. I am ready for mine to get here so I can go back to the stick!!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can see some people preferring an auto. For example, anyone with a really bad back would suffer in a manual. The rest of the country simply has never driven a manual, or hasn't driven one in 30+ years and wants to stick with the autos they have become accustomed to. Too bad for them, and anyone looking for a sporty used car (since they always seem to be autos).

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
I had a person stop to talk to me about my car yesterday and ask about it being an automatic. When I said it was a stick and that the automatic wouldn't be available until next year they said, "Don't worry, you can trade your stick in on an automatic next year." I almost choked. I suppose there are a lot of people who think a stick is a step down from an automatic. We need to run classes to educate these people! :lol:
I'm actually glad that the stick came out before the automatic. I have always been too chicken to learn to drive a stick. If the auto was available, I probably would have ordered it and lost out on a lot of the "enjoyment" of driving a Solstice. But there was NO WAY I was waiting a year to order this car, so I'm biting the bullet and will finally learn to drive a stick. I must have my Solstice NOW! :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
dengel said:
I'm actually glad that the stick came out before the automatic. I have always been too chicken to learn to drive a stick. If the auto was available, I probably would have ordered it and lost out on a lot of the "enjoyment" of driving a Solstice. But there was NO WAY I was waiting a year to order this car, so I'm biting the bullet and will finally learn to drive a stick. I must have my Solstice NOW! :lol:
Have you been practicing this summer?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
dengel said:
In all honesty... ditto.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
mceb said:
Have you been practicing this summer?
I've read everything I could possibly read about driving a manual, so I am versed in method... but in actual experience, I have about 45 minutes behind the wheel.

I've been driving my automatic in "manual" (B-1-2-OD)... and I get the habit of putting my foot down there the clutch will be when shifting and coming to a stop. It's better than nothing right now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My first car I purchased was a manual and luckily for me the clutch was slipping so much I could drop it at any RPM without stalling. It was a great way to learn without the embarrassment. Good luck to all those learning on a new clutch but soon it'll be like second nature. I've been driving manual for years now and there is no turning back.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
CndnSol said:
My first car I purchased was a manual and luckily for me the clutch was slipping so much I could drop it at any RPM without stalling. It was a great way to learn without the embarrassment. Good luck to all those learning on a new clutch but soon it'll be like second nature. I've been driving manual for years now and there is no turning back.
I learned on a brand-spanking new Z06. I'm no stranger to a new clutch on a 400+ hp roadster.

Haha... when you stall with that many horses under the hood... the car shakes violently and tries to rip you to pieces.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Easist way is to go rent a manual car for a day and find a big empty parking lot. Practice stopping and starting (First gear only) before you move into shifting up to second and back down. Also try backing up. One day (with someone supportive to help you) will build your skill and experience up to the point that you are able to focus mostly on driving when on the streets. Trying to drive when concentrating on shifting (or not stalling, etc) is as bad as driving and reading the newspaper or drinking a latte, very distracting and not recommended. I recommend a rental because a friend may let you drive their car, but they will be stressed (conciously or unconciously) about the things they imagine you are doing to their (pick one): clutch, transmission, engine, rear differential. tires, etc.

Advanced practice should occur after you have been driving a manual for a week or so and should cover stopping facing uphill (aka how to go forward without rolling back), dynamic engine braking (downshifting and letting the engine help to slow the car) and stop and go traffic.

Much later (when you are able to drive the car and not have to think about the mechanics of shifting) you should try double-clutching to achieve smoother downshifts. I'm sure that others on the forum (Crimson Avenger perhaps) could add to my suggestions. I love driving a manual. The only automatics I drive are the HMMWVs or the response vehicles at work.

I burned a few clutches while learning to drive on the hills in San Francisco, the smell is the worst part.

Automatics generally have a slightly higher resale, mainly due the slightly higher initial sale price.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Automatic Demand

I have several customers that said they would wait until an automatic would come out. many of them were extremely excited about the vehicle until they found out that small fact.

I believe that many feel a stick shift is a "downgrade" in the car

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Just put the little red needle on the tack at 4500, and let your left foot slide off the clutch. :) Oh yeah don't forget to hang on for dear life....

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
Nope no classes. That would just add to the waiting list. :devil:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dengel said:
You won't be sorry (unless you have a bad back). A manual is just more engaging as a driver. It involves you more. It also adds to the overall control you have on the car. It certainly doesn't take long to learn either.

I found the Sol's manual to be a little difficult from a dead stop. I kept coming close to stalling the engine. It needs a few revs. But I am sure you would be fine with a couple hours behind the wheel. After you get moving, it is no problem at all.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well as far as learning... I learned on a 1958 Simca, 4 on the column... and no it wasn't in 1958 LOL but the top song was "Yellow Submarine"... so that gives all, well some of you, some reference :lol: Have been driving stick pretty much ever since. Best of luck! Loft_guy

1 - 20 of 33 Posts