Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any recommendations? I'm thinking of contacting Tobz Performance Tuning. They aren't far from me, I25 and 270 basically. They say they are the only shop locally with a Mustang AWD dyno, and they specialize in Evo and WRX. I basically am just after a shop that will run our car through 2 or 3 runs so I can get rwhp baselines for the car before putting the hahn IC on.

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
I was induced to take my car to a local dyno / tuner shop. They really did the hard sell. When they drove the car onto the dyno they broke off the front mudguards, then when they pulled the data from the run they either did not know how to set compensation or they purposly diddled with the seddings to skew the output data so they could sell me a tune. Basically they showed a final "peak" that was down by at least 50 WHP.

It was not a good experience.

That is my only experience locally.

I have worked with RWR Motor sports. They do a lot of tuning and have built a lot of cars. They are not GM tuners but they are honest and good guys to work with. And they have their own dyno that they use a LOT for tuning. The owner is Rob. You can look up RWR Motorsports on the web or send me a PM and I will give you Rob's cell number.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
If you want to make a run up to Fort Collins, these guys do a lot of performance tuning here. Be aware that I had them run a baseline Dyno on my 08 Redline when I got the GMPP tune in the fall of 08. That was one of the first DI engines they had seen, and of course their first comment was "it looks like it is running to lean". :lol: But they took a lot of care, getting the car strapped down correctly and did a good job overall.

Here is their website: Entertainment - Home Page

(looks like they haven't updated their website in forever, but they are still there)

When on the front page, you clan click on "Dyno Highlights" on the left side of the page to see some vids.

No matter who you end up going to: Be aware that our coil packs put out to much interference to get a good feed for RPM data stream. So be sure that they do no try to just put a tap on a coil pack for that data. They need to set up a sensor on one of the engine pulleys to get that data instead.

And if you plan on having someone do a custom Dyno Tune, then you would be best to find someone very familiar with our cars. These guys would be fine for just a before (baseline Dyno) and an after Dyno (after your IC install). But if you plan on having them work on your tune, ask a lot of question first. Like I said, back in 08; mine was one of the first gasoline DI engines they had ever seen on the Dyno.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was induced to take my car to a local dyno / tuner shop. They really did the hard sell. When they drove the car onto the dyno they broke off the front mudguards, then when they pulled the data from the run they either did not know how to set compensation or they purposly diddled with the seddings to skew the output data so they could sell me a tune. Basically they showed a final "peak" that was down by at least 50 WHP.

It was not a good experience.

That is my only experience locally.

I have worked with RWR Motor sports. They do a lot of tuning and have built a lot of cars. They are not GM tuners but they are honest and good guys to work with. And they have their own dyno that they use a LOT for tuning. The owner is Rob. You can look up RWR Motorsports on the web or send me a PM and I will give you Rob's cell number.
I can easily see that Rob. Until I started playing around with "driveline loss" numbers, and more importantly altitude loss, I probably would have choked.

most sites on line give you this correction calc: (HP X Altitude [in feet] / 1,000 X 0.03 - HP)

In my other thread about wanting 300+ HP I think I said ideally I would love to have the car producing 320HP peak (apx. 285rwhp if we assume 11% driveline loss). But in actuality what I'd probably be seeing on a local dyno is around 240rwhp about 45rwhp less than just correcting for driveline.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts