Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm, especially forum dealers, that the deposit for an ordered Solstice is refundable? I'd like to cancel my order (found another one), but I'd like to be educated about general policy before I approach my dealer to cancel...

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
newfan said:
Can anyone confirm, especially forum dealers, that the deposit for an ordered Solstice is refundable? I'd like to cancel my order (found another one), but I'd like to be educated about general policy before I approach my dealer to cancel...
I believe that this would depend on your dealer's policy. I know when I put a deposit on my Solstice, the standard (pre-printed) form the dealer used had some small print that said the deposit was non-refundable. I had them add a specific note on the contract that the deposit would be refundable.

Also, if you ordered one of the First 1,000 cars, I believe it was part of the program rules that the deposit was refundable, right up until the car was delivered to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
From everything I hear, GM is STRONGLY encouraging refundable deposits for this car. In fact, I was thinking they might have even mandated that part for all orders.

At any rate, you should have no problem at all getting your deposit back. Even if it weren't required, most dealers would be happy to have another Solstice available. They should have absolutely no problem at all selling it, especially since if you cancel now, there is time to pull the order before they even start building it. So another customer can order their own options.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I spoke with two dealers here in S.E. Michigan: One required a 1k non-refundable deposit to place an order and the other required a $500 refundable deposit to place an order.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was just wondering if it would make a difference if your order was taken under the rules of the EOP (whether you got one of the 1st 1000 or was waitlisted). It seems that under the EOP rules on the GM website that some dealers would require a down payment but that it would be refundable at any point along the way.
On the other hand if someone just came in now after the EOP program and wanted to make an order against the dealers allocation, the dealer would be within thier rights to handle it how they choose.

·
Registered
16 Posts
newfan said:

I can tell you what happened to me... When I made my first order with a dealership in May, their policy was that the $500 deposit was refundable for ANY reason. Since discovering this dealership was marking the car up by 3K, I have since cancelled my order and gone with another (larger) dealership where their policy was that the deposit was non-refundable. This dealership explained to me that it was totally up to each dealer. If you do cancel and expect a refund, my advice is to show up in person to cancel your order and get the refund while you are there. Do this during the week because they will tell you that accounting has to draw up the check and they aren't there on the weekends. Also, they will try to mail it to you. I would insist that you would rather pick it up. Don't give them a choice. If you can't get a check while you are waiting, just say that you will be by to pick it up at such and such a date. If they mail it, you could be waiting longer than you would wish to recieve it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
newfan said:
Examine the language of the form that you signed showing the deposit. In general, (and despite any language to the contrary) in order to take your money, a dealer will have to demonstrate that a value was exchanged. If you received nothing, (only a promise of a future event that didn't occur) then a value wasn't exchanged and in litigation or arbitration, the dealer wouldn't prevail. The problem, of course, is you don't want the matter to get to that point. Just a suggestion, but why not try the aw shucks approach, could you help a guy out? Most people (dealers are people) want to help others if they can. :nopity:

·
Registered
135 Posts
newfan said:

Rather than cancel the order, make the SOL available to one of the forum members that didn't make the First 1000 list. I'm a member of the F1k. So, I'm not soliciting you for the car.

RJ in AZ

·
Registered
44 Posts
debz said:
I spoke with two dealers here in S.E. Michigan: One required a 1k non-refundable deposit to place an order and the other required a $500 refundable deposit to place an order.

I'm also in SE Michigan. I've talked to a lot of dealers and have orders in with 2 right now. Most wanted either a $100 or $200 deposit. They told me up front they will refund the deposit at any time because they know they will have no problems selling the car.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
H2o said:
It seems that under the EOP rules on the GM website that some dealers would require a down payment but that it would be refundable at any point along the way.
The Early Order Program rules clearly stated that deposits were refundable. I think if you ordered under this program you would have no problem getting your deposit back.

I also believe that if your dealer can not give you a date which you can expect to receive the car you would be able to get a refund. Your order was placed under the assumption that the car would be available this summer as promoted by GM. I don't think a dealer would fight you to hard if they can't deliver. If they do, there is always the Better Business Bureau, or better yet, one of those news shows out to help the consumer. You can bet GM doesn't want that kind of publicity.

·
Registered
178 Posts
newfan said:
I was able to get my deposit back without any hassle. The dealer was really good about it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I own a Harley-Davidson Dealership, and I am a recovering Lawyer. 80% of our sales are done on deposits. Tpically a dealer will only refund your deposit if the vehicle was able to me marketed to someone else.

Basically if you offered the dealer $$$ to give up his legal right to sell a future veihicle to another person. When the dealer accepts your $$ in consideration to not sell that vehicle to another (efrfectivelt taking the vehicle off the market). You have a contract. under most state laws (absent a statute on point) you loose you deposit when the dealer gets the car and stands ready, willing and able to perform under your agreement (your contract). Most likely you signed some paper work at the time of purchase. read the agreement.

Alternativley your agument is that he did not preform under the asgreement (did not get you the car buy June 21 - Summer Solstice) and has breached the agreement thereby relieving you the obligation to preform (pay for the car). Then you can make a demand for your damages (your deposit).

Clear as mud?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
HOGDEALER said:
Tpically a dealer will only refund your deposit if the vehicle was able to me marketed to someone else.
That should be absolutely no problem for this car. I would find it very hard to believe that a dealer will not be able to get rid of this car, even if it's ordered with some goofball option configuration. The demand is absolutely insane ... they have already sold 9000+ cars (out of 20,000 for the year) without anybody even being able to see or drive the car. I can't even imagine the numbers once the masses on the street start getting a glimpse of it.

Also, I was under the impession that the whole point of a "deposit" was, as you said, to guarantee a contract. But my dealer told me they ALWAYS refund a deposit if a customer changes their mind prior to delivery. I was somewhat skeptical, so I had him write "refundable" clearly on my paperwork, and he did it without hesitation. He also said that was fairly standard operating procedure for most GM dealerships. Kind of goes contrary to my thoughts about what a deposit is for, but it's good to see that they aren't trying to screw customers over in that respect.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts