Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me get this straight, I and a bunch of people on this site have put a deposit down. On April 14 there going to put a commercial about the solstice, give you a site to get a number, and go to your dealer April 15. Now all the clowns that never have hear of this car have a pretty good chance of getting the car before us. Somethings wrong if this happens.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I contacted Pontiac about this and they said sorry to cause you any problem but that is the way it is. Not their exact words.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Here here!.... Sorta. If they do that and I get screwed, I'll buy a used sport bike as a hold-over until the high output Solstice hits the lots.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My dealer has "guaranteed" that I am first in line come Apr 15th. It sounds like he also has another party interested in placing an order. Maybe I will bring a couple of defensive lineman along to ASSURE my spot in case some last minute speculators show up!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
If you have put money down AND secure an "apprentice" code AND are first on list with money down at your dealer AND the 4/15 order is qualified as 1/1000 you will win. If you didn't put money down and walk in on the 15th with a code and a check and are not first in line you lose. If your dealer lets someone walk in on the 15th with a code and bump you, even though you also have a code AND already have money down, then that dealer's name needs to speed across the internet as a BAD DEALER to be avoided by one and all.

Another side to this is if you already have a deposit in place and are in first 5 at your dealership (which has signed up for EOP) but do not know anything about EOP, then if the dealer has not contacted you to make sure you know what you have to do then that is also a BAD DEALER.

·
Registered
178 Posts
achieftain said:
If you have put money down AND secure an "apprentice" code AND are first on list with money down at your dealer AND the 4/15 order is qualified as 1/1000 you will win. If you didn't put money down and walk in on the 15th with a code and a check and are not first in line you lose. If your dealer lets someone walk in on the 15th with a code and bump you, even though you also have a code AND already have money down, then that dealer's name needs to speed across the internet as a BAD DEALER to be avoided by one and all.

Another side to this is if you already have a deposit in place and are in first 5 at your dealership (which has signed up for EOP) but do not know anything about EOP, then if the dealer has not contacted you to make sure you know what you have to do then that is also a BAD DEALER.
Well said!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
My plan is to go to lunch on April 15th and wait at the dealer with my code until 2pm EST rolls around. Since I already have a deposit down, I will only be out of luck if someone arrives earlier than I do to "wait it out" until 2pm. (I've been bending enough ears around the office that no one will expect me back from lunch on the 15th until my Solstice order is placed.)

Keep in mind that not all dealers are participating in the EOP. If some impulse buyers see the commercial and decide they must have one of the first 1000, they'll only have about twelve to sixteen hours to figure out the early order program rules, locate an EOP participating dealer and make arrangements to be there by 2pm EST in order to beat out the rest of us die-hards. My hope is that the probability of this happening is pretty slim and won't effect my chances for one of the first 1000.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
dengel said:
My plan is to go to lunch on April 15th and wait at the dealer with my code until 2pm EST rolls around. Since I already have a deposit down, I will only be out of luck if someone arrives earlier than I do to "wait it out" until 2pm. (I've been bending enough ears around the office that no one will expect me back from lunch on the 15th until my Solstice order is placed.)

Keep in mind that not all dealers are participating in the EOP. If some impulse buyers see the commercial and decide they must have one of the first 1000, they'll only have about twelve to sixteen hours to figure out the early order program rules, locate an EOP participating dealer and make arrangements to be there by 2pm EST in order to beat out the rest of us die-hards. My hope is that the probability of this happening is pretty slim and won't effect my chances for one of the first 1000.
Sounds good, odds are in your favor :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I don't think there will be an impulse buy on the Solstice if the only advertising is one night before. They may build up a scenerio with the Solstice a few weeks ahead of time and say, "Watch the Apprentice for your shot at getting the first Solstice 4 months ahead of everyone else!"...my opinion....never counts for much really, but thought I would post anyway....PAS22, I like your idea on the linebackers, but I'll bring Little Kim's entourage with me!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
gtwhite said:
Let me get this straight, I and a bunch of people on this site have put a deposit down. On April 14 there going to put a commercial about the solstice, give you a site to get a number, and go to your dealer April 15. Now all the clowns that never have hear of this car have a pretty good chance of getting the car before us. Somethings wrong if this happens.
It depends on your point of view. Years ago I put an early order deposit on a first year new car and got screwed over because demand was high. They sold it to someone else and never even bothered to tell me. When I inquired they tried to sell me next years model (I later bought the car in another state).

To me, the dealers who are taking preorders without any authorization are just taking advantage of eager customers. Some may come through with their promise, some may not be able to get one of the 1000, and many will be anxious to sell one built later at a jacked up price. I considered preordering a Solstice months ago, but I think all that does is create an incentive for dealers to hold out and jack up the price as soon as the 1000 disappear. If noone had preordered so early, the next slate might have come out close to MSRP. But now it's all but guaranteed that they will be higher.

I am going to play by the rules and try the 1000 system the way it's supposed to work. I don't see that as cheating in anyway. There are no guarantees in life. Good luck to everyone. And BTW I will admit, it was only a year ago that I first heard of the car.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
If you get a contract signed before hand saying you'll get MSRP, and the contract spells out the ammount of MSRP you shouldn't get screwed in that mannor in any way. Plus you get them to sign a contract that says "I get car # XXX, and I am person XXX in line to get a car." If they break the contract you can take legal action against them. Unless you cover your butt from all sides there's always a way they can screw you, but if you go into it prepaired you'll come out on top.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
brentil said:
If you get a contract signed before hand saying you'll get MSRP, and the contract spells out the ammount of MSRP you shouldn't get screwed in that mannor in any way. Plus you get them to sign a contract that says "I get car # XXX, and I am person XXX in line to get a car." If they break the contract you can take legal action against them. Unless you cover your butt from all sides there's always a way they can screw you, but if you go into it prepaired you'll come out on top.
:devil's advocate: (yeah, I know there's no such smilie... work with me)

Who's going to actually take legal action for this? The better option is to blow the whistle in public. Call your local news channel, or take your refundable deposit and put a full-page ad in the newspaper in the autos section about how the dealer screwed ya.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If GM blows this, and it sure looks like there going to. I will buy an s2000 and never buy a GM product again. Deposits should be number one than the clowns that don't have a clue about the car that they see on a commercial. This whole thing there doing is BS.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I'm wondering what about those folks that happen to work for a GM supplier (therefore they technically qualify as a GMS/Supplier/Family/Dealer and CAN'T get one of the first 1000), yet have put down money in hopes of getting one of the first 1000.

Bummer.

·
Registered
173 Posts
First 1000?

So lets say I am not one of the first 1000, but my dealer is given 5 "allotments".
Does this mean if I'm number one on their list and paid a deposit mine will be:
delivered after the 1000
it arrives 2 months after the first 1000
it can be purchased at the $19,995 MSRP?
Thanks for response!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Welcome to the forums!!!
  • delivered after the 1000
    • At this time we're not exactly sure, but more then likely the first 1000 will arrive either before or at the same time as normal allotments
  • it arrives 2 months after the first 1000
    • This is currently a rumor, there is no official news we've seen that says exactly how long if any time at all after the first 1000 cars will arrive
  • it can be purchased at the $19,995 MSRP?
    • If you sign a contract with your dealer now saying you get it for no more then MSRP, then yes it can

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Brentil hit it right on. Normal dealer allocations are aside from the first 1000. The exception to this is at end of my post. They will ship later, only GM knows even when exactly the 1000 will ship. If you have the right dealer and the right deal and don't get ANY options, then yes you may be able to buy at $19995. It appears right now, until rules in printed form arrive at dealer and depending maybe on state laws, that GM will persuade dealers to charge no more than MSRP on the first 1000 but that they may not be able to enforce that. I'm going to jump out on a limb here because I already know appr what I will pay if I wait, if you have a superb dealer with whom you have a long long multi-car relationship, you may actually be able to get MSRP or better all along.
Fine print from what I observed; if a 1/1000 is secured by a qualified customer and the car arrives and the customer walks, then that car stays at the dealership but is subtracted from regular allocation. In effect, and I know it won't happen, if a dealer somehow did get 5 customers in the first 1000 and 3 of the five did not sell to original coded customer then those two would reduce his regular allotment by 3. If his normal allotment were 5 then he would only get two of those.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Just a thought regarding availability.

It's a well known fact that plants, when they start up, go through an acceleration period.

We also know that the yearly volume of the solstice is somewhere around 20,000 or 25,000 at full line rate.

That works out to between 1600-2000 cars a month.

So the question is whether we really know the real startup date (May 16? Delayed? Week 19 or 20?), which is up in the air. Let's just go with the original speculation from the early information and call it "Mid-may".

If they take, say, 4 months to ramp up production (don't know if it's 4 months, 4 weeks, or a whole model year, I'm just guessing here - it just seems reasonable for a brand new car and platform) - then by mid-september they should be at about 1600 cars/month.

Linearly, that's a rate of 400/mo at mid-june, 800/mo in mid July, 1200/mo in mid august, and full production of 1600/mo in september.

Integrating (remember THAT, engineers? - area under a rate curve? A linear rate function is triangular, therefore 1/2 base [1 month] times height [400/month]) that function is basically the 1/2 the current month's rate X # of production months.

That would work out to "theroetically produced volumes" of 200 by mid-june, 800 total produced mid July, 1800 total produced in mid august, and 3200 produced by mid- september.

Tack on 2 weeks delivery - and you can change the months by one.

Problems with all of this, while it's a very interesting look at what might be happening:

-We don't know the real start of production date.
-We don't know the intended production acceleration
-We don't know if the acceleration is linear
-We don't really know the true monthly production rate
-We don't know the true shipping date.

A significant error in any of these, and, while technically production might start on time, it may well be September before we see any of these cars. From a dealer standpoint - to them the car won't be available until Fall.

Just going by this example, the first 1000 will take up at least the first 6 weeks of production.

Interesting math games. Play with the numbers yourself and see what makes sense.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts