Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put down a deposit for a Solstice? Are these cars expected to go for list price? I put down deposits at two dealerships in February and am pondering my decision. Both were for the 1st Solstice at list price. One dealership is letting me order to my specifications where the other one is take what you get or we can do a dealer trade.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I put a down payment on a Solstice at my loacl Pontiac dealer and they said since they haven't even ordered one yet when they get a chance to order one they are going to call me so I get everything I want with it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
deposit

I placed a deposit with my dealer - in October. He is under the impression that ordering will start soon after Detroit's show. Of course, he is also anticipating a summer Solstice release date.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
My dealer has had my Deposit since last February.

He says 'I will get the first one in the state'

Will see what happens.

Nice Dealer (I have only talked to the owner) and he is very interested in this car. Of course he would rather sell me a C6, but knows that the Solstice is what I want.

Steve

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I just came back from my Dealer. I put down $500 to get in on 1st allocation (they say I'm first at their dealer). Sales GM said he'd be sure to put in the order as soon as they open up (I'll be there to remind them for sure)

I consider it insurance to hold an early order, it's refundable so if you want read the car reviews this spring and want to bow out I'm sure they'll be glad to sell the car to someone else. I figure with June delivery if there are too many delays it will be fall by the time I get one so why not take a chance at June so I can have fun this year.

I didn't ask anything of the dealer, they readily admitted I probably knew more about the car.

·
4,592 Posts
mceb said:
I just came back from my Dealer. I put down $500 to get in on 1st allocation (they say I'm first at their dealer). Sales GM said he'd be sure to put in the order as soon as they open up (I'll be there to remind them for sure)

I consider it insurance to hold an early order, it's refundable so if you want read the car reviews this spring and want to bow out I'm sure they'll be glad to sell the car to someone else. I figure with June delivery if there are too many delays it will be fall by the time I get one so why not take a chance at June so I can have fun this year.

I didn't ask anything of the dealer, they readily admitted I probably knew more about the car.

Way to go mceb!!! :thumbs

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I have not put a deposit down yet. I feel so left out with all you people have already have deposits in! I have been thinking about contacting a couple dealers and seeing if they are taking orders, and if they will guarantee anything (such as $500 under MSRP, a lot of Ford dealers were writing that deal on pre-ordered Mustangs). I'll have to get on it pretty soon!

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
I am going to wait until the end of the NAIAS show to get the true skiny about the Solstice, there are still to many questions not been answered. I know you can get your money back but...... what if you do not like the end product?.:(

·
Registered
110 Posts
Deposit

Hey FFormula88 dont feel bad I haven't put a deposit down yet either. I went to a dealership about 2 months ago and they didn't know anything about the solstice. They thought I was crazy. I'm sad though because it would be crazy :crazy to put down a deposit if I can't get this stick shift down. I might have to wait until they come out with an automatic. My driving lessons are not going well at allllllllllllllllllllllll. This really sucks

Lets say I don't get one when they first come out. How many months after it comes out will you have to order it for? Say it comes out in July and a miracle happens and I learn stick in October do you think I will still have to order it????????????

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Not sure if I'm going to put a deposit down or not. I'll have to wait to get confirmation on the delivery dates. I just learned that I'll probably be transferred to Monterey, CA in late July. If that's the case, I'll definitely want a Solstice. I don't really want a California car if the emissions, etc are going to be different. Might order one from a dealership between here and there. Maybe I'll take some leave and plan to pick one up in St. Louis (my home) en route.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Pammysoltice said:
Lets say I don't get one when they first come out. How many months after it comes out will you have to order it for? Say it comes out in July and a miracle happens and I learn stick in October do you think I will still have to order it????????????
We've touched on this a little in the past. If you don't order one prior to dealer splacing their orders to GM it's pretty hard to get a designed to order model in then. You're pretty much stuck with dealer inventory. If you really lucky though you can sometimes get an order in when a dealer is going to place new orders of their own to refil inventory.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Still haven't put a deposit down, but I've been meaning to for months. I put going to new car dealers far below going to the dentist. Wish dealers had NOx! Might go this week or next, if I can my courage up.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I have not put a deposit down yet. I feel so left out with all you people have already have deposits in! I have been thinking about contacting a couple dealers and seeing if they are taking orders, and if they will guarantee anything (such as $500 under MSRP, a lot of Ford dealers were writing that deal on pre-ordered Mustangs). I'll have to get on it pretty soon!
I don't have a order yet either ebcause I've got the issue of not knwoing if I want to get the Solstice now and drive it till a higher output Sky is available, or just wait for the normal Sky, or wait for a higher output Sky or Solstice all together.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Pammysoltice said:
Hey FFormula88 dont feel bad I haven't put a deposit down yet either. I went to a dealership about 2 months ago and they didn't know anything about the solstice. They thought I was crazy. I'm sad though because it would be crazy :crazy to put down a deposit if I can't get this stick shift down. I might have to wait until they come out with an automatic. My driving lessons are not going well at allllllllllllllllllllllll. This really sucks

I hope you can pick up on the shifting by the time the car comes out! I still think you will get the hang of it with some more practice. Just keep working at it!

As for getting a car later on, you will either have to order one and wait the 1-2 months for it to arrive, or try to find one in dealer inventory. Finding one in inventory could prove difficult too since Rick Wagoner (CEO) says they will watch inventory closely and not allow a big buildup of Solstices on lots. So if it is popular, they will move off lots quickly. In that case, you’ll probably end up ordering anyway.

It could be cheaper too, if dealers with cars on the lot are marking them up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'll wait

I won't know what color I like it best in until I see it. Pictures are one thing but seeing it in person can be quite different. What if they have optional colors for the top? We haven't seen anything on that yet. I just wouldn't want to preorder a car and then see it in a different color and then be wishing I had waited.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
summersolstice said:
I won't know what color I like it best in until I see it. Pictures are one thing but seeing it in person can be quite different. What if they have optional colors for the top? We haven't seen anything on that yet. I just wouldn't want to preorder a car and then see it in a different color and then be wishing I had waited.
You don't pick the color options until the dealer goes to order. By the tiem they get to order the full option documentaiton will be available with pictures of all options and color choices. You wont be able to see them in person more then likely, but you'll get to see images of all combinations.

There might also be demo cars available to test drive prior to finalizing the order. Lotus did that with teh Elise here in the USA.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts