Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the underside of the Kappa platform, it looks like dual exhaust from either a V6 or V8 engine is built into the underside. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I think we already had this heated argument before, but that was before all the Apprentice EOP people joined. So we've got a lot of people who wont remember that. :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you look at where the exhaust is coming from, right from the engine compartment, there is a larger gap for space necessary to fit the piping. I'm pretty sure that the Kappa isn't meant for dual exhaust from that simple design element. However, that is not to say that dual exhaust will not fit, I'm pretty sure it will. Personally, I'm just gonna stick with the 4 banger and modify it somewhat when I get the car :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks symmetrical to me

Jus2shy said:
If you look at where the exhaust is coming from, right from the engine compartment, there is a larger gap for space necessary to fit the piping. I'm pretty sure that the Kappa isn't meant for dual exhaust from that simple design element. However, that is not to say that dual exhaust will not fit, I'm pretty sure it will. Personally, I'm just gonna stick with the 4 banger and modify it somewhat when I get the car :)

I don't see any different in size from the left side to the right side of the exhaust frame. If Mallett Cars are going to put an LS2 engine is this configuration there must be the right size spacing for both left and right runners.

Curious about how the dual exhaust would look at the rear; 2 mufflers or one?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Delnari said:
Curious about how the dual exhaust would look at the rear; 2 mufflers or one?
For space you would probably use one muffler with dual outlets (a la F-Body). Could quite feasibly do dual pipes (if using a V Engine) that would route on either side of the tranny tunnel, have a X or H crossover right before the rear differential, and then go into dual inlets on the muffler and then dual outlets with either single or dual tips for 2 or "4" outlets.

Not familiar with inline gas engines, or more specifically 4-cyl gas engines, but don't think you can do a true dual exhaust set up with just one bank of cylinders. An inline 4-cyl engine relies on back-pressure differently than a V8 does so I don't think you would have any benefit of having two different manifolds running separately to either dual mufflers or to one single dual-inlet muffler. I've not personally seen a manifold design that calls for one pipe for 2 cylinders and another pipe for the other 2 cylinders but then again I've not tried tuning or modifying 4 bangers before. I just work on small block chevy's (personal) and 6-cyl Cummins Turbo-diesels (business).

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Since the platform is being designed for use in more tha one country, I would think that the layout of the bottom would be there to accomodate for the exhaust to run from the engine compartment on the opposite side as well. This allows 1 design to be used instead of building two. And when you move the driver, you usually have to reverse a few things in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Take a look at this image I modified:

You'll notice the red part has a larger notch than the green part. This shows that they meant for the exhaust to only come out at one side, otherwise they'd notch the tunnel on both sides. This by no means doesn't mean that you can't fit a dual exhuast V8 in there.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excelsior said:
Since the platform is being designed for use in more tha one country, I would think that the layout of the bottom would be there to accomodate for the exhaust to run from the engine compartment on the opposite side as well. This allows 1 design to be used instead of building two. And when you move the driver, you usually have to reverse a few things in the engine compartment.
That makes good sense. I forgot about the Opel version for Europe. It's interesting how the middle path is wide enough to fit a cross-over pipe like that on the corvette. :)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
I think we already had this heated argument before, but that was before all the Apprentice EOP people joined. So we've got a lot of people who wont remember that. :D
I'm certainly not touching this topic! :leaving:

:lol:

·
Registered
391 Posts
I would LOVE to have an LS2 or an LS7 but my opinion is that the V6 will fit just fine in there. :) Dont ask me why, I am not even shure why I would rather have a V6?
It looks like you could get a true dual system to let a V engine breath :yesnod: And if you look close you can see the cat up in there. The space on the driver side looks like a cat will fit in there too?
And one more thing to think about is putting glass packs on it and put a trunk where the stock muffler used to be like the trunk on the Fiero :cool:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Since I started the last argument on this topic, how could I possibly miss this one?!

Excelsior said:
Europe uses the same engine. Exhaust exits on the same side...

This is obviously clearance for a second exhaust route, based on my experience programming sheet metal stampers. Now, I would never say that GM had definate plans to put in a V engine, but at the very least the guy who was responsible for designing the stamping in those areas was thinking about clearance issues for people like myself and Mallet.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Jus2shy said:
Take a look at this image I modified:

You'll notice the red part has a larger notch than the green part. This shows that they meant for the exhaust to only come out at one side, otherwise they'd notch the tunnel on both sides. This by no means doesn't mean that you can't fit a dual exhuast V8 in there.
Your red circle is around the passenger indent. No interfering pedals.

Your green circle is around the driver indent. Room for pedals was necessary.

If the exhaust was only meant to go under the passenger side, there would be NO indent on the driver side, where pedal room is a necessity. But contrary to that, there is a very obvious indent, albeit less intrusive than on the passenger side. Again, GM may never put a V engine in it, but some designer somewhere had the foresight to purposely make clearance for a second exhaust route.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Muffler offered from GM

Do you think the new performance muffler from GM will be the same size the as the stock, but have dual outlets? The rear valance on bumper cover should be an easy replacement piece to allow for the dual outlets. From what I have seen the rear valance is the same piece on every color car. So one kit for any color car would work.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Delnari said:
Do you think the new performance muffler from GM will be the same size the as the stock, but have dual outlets? The rear valance on bumper cover should be an easy replacement piece to allow for the dual outlets. From what I have seen the rear valance is the same piece on every color car. So one kit for any color car would work.
I had hopped it would be, but the recent information posted by Small Dealer makes it sound like it will be single tip exhausts with two different types of tips to choose from. We've seen pics of the rumored high performance Solstice and it had dual tips. I'm betting if it gets made people can buy the parts for it from GM or some other reseller and retrofit their older Solstice with newer parts. However some 3rd party will more then likely make a dual outlet kit before then though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
SkyCaptain said:
Your red circle is around the passenger indent. No interfering pedals.

Your green circle is around the driver indent. Room for pedals was necessary.

If the exhaust was only meant to go under the passenger side, there would be NO indent on the driver side, where pedal room is a necessity. But contrary to that, there is a very obvious indent, albeit less intrusive than on the passenger side. Again, GM may never put a V engine in it, but some designer somewhere had the foresight to purposely make clearance for a second exhaust route.
That slight indent may still be a necessity to make space for the transmission unit. I mean if you look at old F-bodies, Bimmers and the like, you'll notice that no matter what, they have an indent of some sort, even on the "C4" vette to have space for the transmission. I still think they intended for single exhaust, but may have inadvertantly made just enough room for a second route. You can also always route the exhaust over the transmission tunnel and meet up on a single side then exit out a single pathway in case there is some sort of interference on the driver side of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
That picture really is a beautiful thing. A rear mounted turbo is going to be a piece of cake. We did a 2.2L Colbalt yesterday and it worked awesome with it's Ecotec.

Imagine bolting on a turbo and 80-100 horsepower in 4 hours in your driveway!

Here's the Goat to show you what it could look like and how it would install:
install pics here

·
Registered
905 Posts
bradyb said:
That picture really is a beautiful thing. A rear mounted turbo is going to be a piece of cake. We did a 2.2L Colbalt yesterday and it worked awesome with it's Ecotec.

Imagine bolting on a turbo and 80-100 horsepower in 4 hours in your driveway!

Here's the Goat to show you what it could look like and how it woudl install:
install pics here
That would be awesome!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
It'll definitly be nice to have options. Hope you guys get a chance to make a nice system.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Delnari: That makes good sense. I forgot about the Opel version for Europe.
I'm not amused :brentil: !

We in EUROPE drive on the "right" side. There might be some people on a small island to the west of Europe who don't ;) .

Fortunately those people "call" Opel "Vauxhall" and so I don't think there will be a right-hand drive Opel.

On the other hand Vauxhall is going to do the same as Opel: "rebadge" the Sky. I think this is fair, because the actual design of the Sky is very similar to the "VX Lightning" concept car by Vauxhall.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts