Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke to my dealer today who told me that he attended a dealer meeting or something like that in which the Solstice delivery was discussed. He said that the dealers were all chuckling because the first Solstice was being delivered to Idaho!

He also said something very strange. Pontiac now plans to only build 9500 2006 Solstices! I take all of this with a grain of salt (coming from a dealer) but I will say that I was speaking to the owner and in the past he seemed to be pretty well informed.

I'm wondering whether the 9500 number is because they will be well into 2006 before that production quantity is met and will be switching over to the 2007 model year?

If this is true, that should help raise the values of our 2006 Solsitice's :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
The Mayor said:
I'm wondering whether the 9500 number is because they will be well into 2006 before that production quantity is met and will be switching over to the 2007 model year?

If this is true, that should help raise the values of our 2006 Solsitice's :cool:
Bingo. Gotta switch to 2007 for stuff built in Jan. 9500 orders takes them up to Dec I guess. 2006 is half year production.

Wonder who the lucky person in Idado is :cool:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
mceb said:
Bingo. Gotta switch to 2007 for stuff built in Jan. 9500 orders takes them up to Dec I guess. 2006 is half year production.

Wonder who the lucky person in Idado is :cool:
Why would they have to switch to 2007 models in January? They can manufacture 2006 models until the summer shutdown. That really makes no sense. And they said they would produce 20,000 2006 models. Doesn't sound right to me.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
It's a law I thought (some people have said)...cars built after calendar year start must carry MY of next year. Doesn't come up as much with regular cars because there are so many in inventory I guess.

Maybe it's optional, don't know for sure.

I heard a radio commerical for Sky (sponser of X games) and they said 2007 Saturn Sky (because it's built in Feb.)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
mceb said:
It's a law (some people have said)...cars built after calendar year start must carry MY of next year. Doesn't come up as much with regular cars because there are so many in inventory I guess.

I heard a radio commerical for Sky (sponser of X games) and they said 2007 Saturn Sky (because it's built in Feb.)
Well, I don't want to argue, but my 2003 Trailblazer was manufactured in May of 2003. I think the law is that, say, a 2007 car can't be manufactured in 2005, it would have to be Janurary 2006 or later.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
GradSoulStice said:
they said 20000 a year not 20000 2006 solsti.
Well, tthe way I read it was 20,000 in the first years production, which to me would imply the same model year. But even if that's not what they meant, I don't see the logic of slapping a new model year on a car that's been out for less thatn 6 months.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
mceb said:
It's a law I thought (some people have said)...cars built after calendar year start must carry MY of next year.
Not cars built after, NEW models introduced after Jan 1. A 2006 Solstice will be a 2006 Solstice untill GM releases a 2007 version, which has to be done before Jan 1 2007.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
LBJay said:
Not cars built after, NEW models introduced after Jan 1. A 2006 Solstice will be a 2006 Solstice untill GM releases a 2007 version, which has to be done before Jan 1 2007.
OK thanks.

Takes us back to the why the 9500 for 2006? Can GM just declare 2007 MY in Jan?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The Mayor said:
He also said something very strange. Pontiac now plans to only build 9500 2006 Solstices!
Hmm ... that's about the nubmer of orders GM currently has for the car, I think. Could the person have meant that they have plans to build that many cars already because they're not "planning" to build them until they actually have the orders (even though they know it will happen)?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
mceb said:
OK thanks.

Takes us back to the why the 9500 for 2006? Can GM just declare 2007 MY in Jan?
I suppose they could, but I just don't get what the logic would be. I don't think they've ever done anything likethat before. Usually they run the model year until the summer shutdown. Maybe Small Dealer or GMlinedog would have some insight on that.

·
Registered
936 Posts
The Mayor said:
I spoke to my dealer today who told me that he attended a dealer meeting or something like that in which the Solstice delivery was discussed. He said that the dealers were all chuckling because the first Solstice was being delivered to Idaho!

We have an Idaholeann on this forum maybe she is getting it. Think I will send a pm and have her check it out although I don't think she is on here much.

·
5,641 Posts
mceb said:
Wonder who the lucky person in Idaho is?
Well at least it isn't Sooolstice since they haven't been on to claim it, or they would have let #000001 go for only $10,000 over purchase price on eBay.

As far as the 9,500/20,000 mystery.

20,000 is the annual (model year or calander year) potential Solstice output initially. It may be less in furture years.

9,500 is what they hope to build by calander year end 2005. Which also happens to be the current order number level. But as we all know from our "Production & Allocation 101" course, not all 9,500 orders will fill all 9,500 production slots.

As far as model years, there are as many reason for different start and stop build dates as there are years. Variables are too many. We all think of production year as running Summer Shutdown to Summer Shutdown.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Small Dealer said:
Well at least it isn't Sooolstice since they haven't been on to claim it, or they would have let #000001 go for only $10,000 over purchase price on eBay.

As far as the 9,500/20,000 mystery.

20,000 is the annual (model year or calander year) potential Solstice output initially. It may be less in furture years.

9,500 is what they hope to build by calander year end 2005. Which also happens to be the current order number level. But as we all know from our "Production & Allocation 101" course, not all 9,500 orders will fill all 9,500 production slots.

As far as model years, there are as many reason for different start and stop build dates as there are years. Variables are too many. We all think of production year as running Summer Shutdown to Summer Shutdown.
I just went back and looked at the Ebay sale of the first 1000 Solstice that went for $10,100.00 It's in Star, Idaho.

Ebay Solstice

:(

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mceb said:
Could you imagine if that was #1
That is tooooo freaky!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
42 Posts
That was my Star Idaho Ebay solstice

I had heard from the dealer I purchased my solstice from that they were getting the first one and that it was black. They also told me that they only had three coming and only 2 were black....you can imagine I was holding my breath. The other person got the first one. :( I was so bummed. I got vin 35 which isn't bad, but seems like crap considering I could have had #1. oh well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts