Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off - AWESOME CAR!! :cool: Drove it a more than once around the Ren Cen - once when they were moving cars out for the buses (so a little longer on one trip). Just a few things I noticed that don't have a lot of comments on other threads.

Amazing details -
-stereo information visible in bright sun and with polarized shades
-auto headlights are the default on the control stalk
-pocket at the front of each seat and on the backs
-steering wheel bulges just above 9 and 3 are very cool
-feel of the interior plastics - the center armrest floats so it doesn't feel hard and probably won't wear out where the elbow falls
-center console storage size
-intersection of roof and windshield header just gives a cool/chopped top/roadster/just this side of sinister feel from the inside
-door lock/unlock with ignition on/off
-dash material and gaps are great
-engraved shifter knob is cool (but the printed plastic one was voted for production (accessory anyone?)

Controls with instinct -
- stereo controls are perfect (IMHO) with your hand on the shifter (especially the center on/off volume knob in 3rd/5th)
- shifter and pedal placement is great for heel-toe - doesn't have the floor mounted hinge like BMW, but the center tunnel is a good "too far" guide for the heel
-some say that the steering wheel controls for the DIC and stereo might be small, but are where you want them
-flash to pass - push for high beams
-ac controls (and the feel is good too)

Controls that you have to think -
-window switches are a little aft (maybe they could tie the truck pop with auto-down on both windows on the second push of the button)
-turn signal stalk is farther forward than instinct (a little farther with high beams on)
-hood release is a little forward under the dash - but it needs to be for the shape of the dash and ease of entry

Details that make you have to think -
-fuel gauge - a little deep but looks good (at least you have the DIC that has range - if memory serves)
-buttress pins on the tops - when you put the top down it will pierce anything in the way - if you look at the pictures of the front plate bracket by terpfan you can see the white spot where the pin tried to push through (you will have to be careful that nothing is in the way). The carpet is cut out to keep the pins from harming the carpet.

I am sure that there is more that I will remember. The overall car is awesome - everyone deserves kudos - my first reaction was that I liked it better than the Porshe Boxster S that I drove a few weeks ago (albeit I drove neither to any limit - the Solstice just had a better feel and sound - (IMHO).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A few neat things on the DIC --- says SOLSTICE when you start the car - water temp and oil life are also available.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
xfire305 said:
A few neat things on the DIC --- says SOLSTICE when you start the car - water temp and oil life are also available.
Wonder if I can change it to say Brentil's Solstice? :D

·
Registered
383 Posts
brentil said:
Wonder if I can change it to say Brentil's Solstice? :D
That was a great item on the Olds Toronado Trofeo...god Im old. You cuold change the center display to say Good morning/afternoon/evening"name". Definitely personalized your car when you figure the display was HUGE and in the center of the dash on this old beast.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Random Solstice Trivia #1

xfire305 said:
This was a very last minute "final touch" that was added.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Wow I want mine to stay that way unless i turn it off. Oh and I love your 2nd push of the trunk button idea. ( hear that Bob? )

·
Registered
528 Posts
I will say the radio controls are top notch and what you expect in todays audio features. Unfortnately, the Monsoon sound system with the top up was sub-par :-(. The bass was just okay and volume was level was well below what I would have expected. Maybe it will sound better with the top up, but I don't plan on driving it much with the top up.

·
Registered
350 Posts
GradSoulStice said:
Wow I want mine to stay that way unless i turn it off. Oh and I love your 2nd push of the trunk button idea. ( hear that Bob? )
The problem with pushing the window button twice for the trunk to open is that you could accidentally do it while going down the highway. If the wind could catch the trunk it would lift and possibly tear off.

NOT A HAPPY DAY

·
Registered
763 Posts
no the trunk button twice to lower the windows to make it easier to put the top and because you normally want them down with the top down.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Our possible-supporting-vendor Lillie has already hinted at replacement shifter knobs...

...and I was actually glad to hear the headlight shaft is push-forward to engage high beams.

I hate the ones that are pull-back-to-engage-and-disengage.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Another nice detailed review! Thanks! :thumbs:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts