Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-
MY Sol is a 2006 NA with 3800 miles. I'm guessing the Dexcool hasn't been changed. I spoke with a retired GM mechanic who said to change out the "Mississippi mud" to a regular green antifreeze. After doing a search, some here said to replace the Dexcool with new Dexcool. Others said to switch to green/distilled water. Apparently, the Dexcool ,if not thoroughly flushed ,can create the "mud" mentioned earlier. Just wondering what the consensus is. I'm getting her out of hibernation in a few weeks. I've also scheduled for the pinion /flange/etc and vent repair.
Can't wait to see how she handles/sounds with the Probeam,Backbone , Venom brace, new Hankooks and Solo exhaust!
This forum is the best! Glad to see new generation Sol/Sky owners signing on...
Thanks in advance!
John

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
My experience has been that the "early days" of dexcool had some issues with gasket and seal materials that cause them to deteriorate and cause issues. I believe that has been corrected, but will defer to other members to confirm that beyond my own experience.

My '07 has had (to my knowledge) nothing but dexcool in it, I flushed and replaced when I had a coolant leak (which turned out to be a puking water pump) and has had nothing but dexcool in it since. When I flushed at about 58k miles there was no "mud" or contaminants or discoloration of any kind.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I have flushed out the dexcool and put in the green stuff when swapping the engine out last year. I ran it all summer long with out any problems. I noticed the car ran cooler then when it had dexcool in it.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts