Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does the manual say battery is maint. free, when mine has removable caps to add water? Seems my other GM vehicles came with sealed battery's that you could not add water. Just wondering if all the Kappas came with vent caps?
LJ

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I assumed it was maint. free, until I noticed it said keep vent caps level on bat. Sure enough they are removable. Kinda a pain to add water but a baster without the bulb part worked great when used with my old school bat filler. Even had the old split rings in cells, glad I noticed since it was a little low in a couple cells. If I had more miles, or charged with something other then my battery minder, the plates would have probably been exposed.
LJ

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Neither of mine did. I have never seen a kappa as you describe
So I guess they ran out of the Maint. free ones and I have the only non maint. free one..... I really feel special now!
LJ

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
So I guess they ran out of the Maint. free ones and I have the only non maint. free one..... I really feel special now!
LJ
Did you buy the car new? I'm assuming yes. If so, then yeah. You've got yourself a limited edition. ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you buy the car new? I'm assuming yes. If so, then yeah. You've got yourself a limited edition. ;)
Yes.... I changed picture to battery... It actually says keep vent caps tight and level. So everybody has a smooth top with no caps on their battery?
LJ

·
Registered
431 Posts
I haven't seen a battery with caps in a LONG LONG time. Over 30 years for sure.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
To be honest, I didn't think anybody even made the non-sealed kind anymore :confused:

Then again, I can't remember ever having to replace one way back then either (can't say that for the sealed batteries :willy:)

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Yes.... I changed picture to battery... It actually says keep vent caps tight and level. So everybody has a smooth top with no caps on their battery?
LJ
Mine says the same thing as yours. It says nothing about adding water.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I assume they say it is maint free to either sell more batteries, or to keep from getting sued when somebody splashes some acid in their eye. Kinda like McDonalds having to put warning that coffee is hot.
LJ

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine says the same thing as yours. It says nothing about adding water.
So maybe everyone has the same battery with vent caps and just have not discovered they could maintain it?! I put distilled water in mine but I imagine R.O. water would be better then tap water.
LJ

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Sounds like someone may have changed out a new battery for an old one. I don't think I have seen a Screw Cap Battery since the late 60's to mid 70's. Or does yours have the Pop Off Caps?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Yeah I thought they were maintenance free, in fact I didn't even think you could add water because I thought they went to sealed units couple decades ago.

·
Super Moderator
7,541 Posts
You guys are confusing "maintenance free" and "sealed". They are not the same thing.

"Sealed" batteries are gel-filled, and can be installed in any orientation. Think Optima.

"Maintenance free" batteries are liquid-filled, and can only be used upright. As far as I know, all current OEM automotive batteries are in this category. They are called maintenance free because the venting system is designed to condense the water vapor given off during charging and return it to the cell. Under normal use, the battery will never require the addition of water, thus it is maintenance free.

The old battery design did not return the water to the cell, and so required regular addition of water. It is still used in vintage reproductions and most heavy industrial batteries.

Batteries stored for long periods of time will lose water. Trickle charging will accelerate the process significantly, and even the automatic battery tenders will cause additional fluid loss.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
"Maintenance free" batteries are liquid-filled, and can only be used upright. As far as I know, all current OEM automotive batteries are in this category. They are called maintenance free because the venting system is designed to condense the water vapor given off during charging and return it to the cell. Under normal use, the battery will never require the addition of water, thus it is maintenance free.

So if his battery is maintenance free how is it that he's saying he can add water via a turkey baster? I was working under the assumption that there was no way to add water, hence my sealed battery comment.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like someone may have changed out a new battery for an old one. I don't think I have seen a Screw Cap Battery since the late 60's to mid 70's. Or does yours have the Pop Off Caps?
Are your batteries AC Delco catalog # 9486? It has 2 rectangular vent caps that push on and each cover 3 cells. Not the screw type individual ones like on a golf cart battery.
LJ

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I thought they were maintenance free, in fact I didn't even think you could add water because I thought they went to sealed units couple decades ago.
Yeah I thought that too.... My 06 Grand Prix had smooth top maint free battery that you could not open to add water.
LJ

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
You guys are confusing "maintenance free" and "sealed". They are not the same thing.

"Sealed" batteries are gel-filled, and can be installed in any orientation. Think Optima.

The old battery design did not return the water to the cell, and so required regular addition of water. It is still used in vintage reproductions and most heavy industrial batteries.

Batteries stored for long periods of time will lose water. Trickle charging will accelerate the process significantly, and even the automatic battery tenders will cause additional fluid loss.
I believe you are correct in everything you said, sounds as if you know your battery tech. I do believe the Battery Minder is better then the Battery Tender type trickle chargers, it supposedly sends pulses that will desulfide the plates and not cause electrolite loss. I think it is made by VDC.
LJ

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So if his battery is maintenance free how is it that he's saying he can add water via a turkey baster? I was working under the assumption that there was no way to add water, hence my sealed battery comment.
I believe even thou it may be designed to be 'Maint. Free' it will make battery last longer if you can add water when needed. I only used turkey baster because there is no room to use my old school battery filler or even a small measuring cup.
LJ

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Are your batteries AC Delco catalog # 9486? It has 2 rectangular vent caps that push on and each cover 3 cells. Not the screw type individual ones like on a golf cart battery.
LJ
Yes that is the one I have, but I would refer you to JRinKY's post #18. If you are having to add water to your battery. Then you might be having a problem.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts