Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They have a good write up on the Solstice. They are testing the Solstice right now, they are driving around prototypes of the car. It is a pretty interesting article.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Still waiting on C&D issue to reach my local store. Similar write-ups in Autoweek and Motor Trend (June).

·
Registered
85 Posts
C&D article

Good article - author misrepresented the 1987 Chevette as GM's last small rear-drive car. My 1988 Fiero Formula 5-speed is a small mid-engined rear-drive. The performance of the Solstice is about that of the V6 Fiero with similar fuel efficiency -- 15 years ago. Of course the power now comes from a four-cylinder - the Fiero made the same torque about 1000 RPM earlier. The Solstice needs the Supercharger to be something great - plus the hardtop coupe would help rigidity. The BMW MZ coupe is proof there are people that want power, rigidity, and a little more space - although not many. Put a huge sunroof on mine and at least 240 hp under the hood.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
xfire305 said:
...Good article - author misrepresented the 1987 Chevette as GM's last small rear-drive car. My 1988 Fiero Formula 5-speed is a small mid-engined rear-drive...
:agree

Noticed that too. Oh well, another article (the autoweek one?) notes the fiero lasting until '89. I wish.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Solstice performance will probably be a little better than the V6 Fiero when we see it. My 88 Fiero's V6 is rated at 135HP @ 4500, 165 Lb-Ft @ 3600. Prior year V6's were 140 HP @ 5200 and 170 Lb-ft @ 3600. Solstice is at 170 HP @ 6400 and 170 Lb-Ft @ 4400. Weights are going to be fairly similar with my Formula weighing in around 2780, and Solstice at 2850 or so.

The Fieros generally ran just about 7.9 to 8.0 to 60, and right at 16, maybe just into the 15's in the quarter mile. The base Solstice is being estimated at around mid 7's and mid 15's. The engine should also be more flexible which will help a lot. Even with it reaching peak power a little higher, it is able to get power high in the RPM range. The Fiero V6 has a restrictive intake, and really runs out of steam after about 5000 RPM's.

I know its not blazing speed, but it will be quick and a lot of fun to drive. I can only imagine what the S/C rocket will be like! :smile

1 - 5 of 5 Posts