Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I posted else where the dealership in Central Florida in downtown Orlando that I went to was allocated 15 Solsti for their first 4 months. From hearing some of the smaller dealers post, this sound like a decent number of cars. If all 2800 dealerships got 15 in the first 4 months that would be 42,000 cars!!! My dealership has already taken deposits and orders for 25 cars though. That was just in a 6 hour time period too. I left before 5pm also, so more people are going to come in after work as well and make more orders. Us pre-orders only paid $50 down, but the walk ins paid $1000. So the dealerhsip brought in $20,000 worth of money today for just signing contracts. Luckily this dealer is going to sell all their cars at MSRP too.

Ok as the title says, do you think that GM/Pontiac were way to conservative on their sales estimates for this year? If they plan to sell 20,000 by the end of this year that means that if all dealerships got the same # of cars instead of them beign devided by the formula, they should technicaly get 7 cars for the rest of the year. Now we know they sales are not all equal because of the allocation formula. After todays zoo that was the EOP rush, I can't see them ONLY selling 20,000 cars now.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Convertible sales drop off rapidly with the coming of Fall/Winter. I don't have any numbers in front of me, but I am sure they are either on the forum somewhere, or someone else will post them.

Plus, keep supply just a hair under demand (aka don't PT it up).

·
Registered
905 Posts
Frosty said:
Convertible sales drop off rapidly with the coming of Fall/Winter. I don't have any numbers in front of me, but I am sure they are either on the forum somewhere, or someone else will post them.

Plus, keep supply just a hair under demand (aka don't PT it up).
Getting them built for the Summer rush is what I think he meant. I will be disappointed if come July I test drive one and want to buy it only to be told I have to wait till October to get one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Test drive one? If the first 4 months allocation isn't sold out by the end of this month I'll eat my hat. Who's car will you test drive?

·
Registered
905 Posts
I was told by my dealer that there'd be one to test drive by July.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Brentil did you get a EOP? I was screwed outta mine.

My dealer is getting 14-16, they have 3 cars to order including mine. No EOP cars, but will have a whole lot of upset customers once they start making calls. I counted 6-7 people that came in after me who were there for the EOP.

I told 2 people about our forum. They were amazed at how much information I had and were shocked when I said ive been waiting since 02.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
brentil said:
I can't see them ONLY selling 20,000 cars now.

What do you all think?
I think there will be an innitial rush because the car is so gorgeous, but after they have been on the road for year, and the magazines and press have a chance to nit pick them, and even berate them, interest will slow and it will be hard for Pontiac to sell 20k a year. This year though, they'll probably come close to, or just exceed that number.

Remember, alot of people will be turned off by the top and tiny trunk when they actually see them. Also the new MX5 will be hitting the showrooms too soon, and some of the people that are excited about the Sosltice now may switch.

Anyhow, the intial sales success should help bolster shareholder confidence in Maximum Bob's leadership. After all, this is his baby! :thumbs:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Adrenaline said:
Chandle Lee, Winn Kelly or Frankel? I'm sure we'd all like to have one available to test drive, but unless they have a special arrangement with Pontiac, I wouldn't count on it. Rumor now has it that First 1000 deliveries will commence in the 4th quarter of this fiscal year, which means October-ish. If normal allocation production follows that schedule, with as few as have been allocated for the first 4 months, it is highly unlikely that any will go un-spoken for. Which, sadly, means nothing available to test drive. Unless you find a very generous owner.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Adrenaline said:
This was defined previously a little more in detail. I was excited about this as well. Apparently it's DEALERS only though. :(

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Allocation numbers will tell the story. Hopefully numbers given to dealer are only for first four months. My dealer has 5 and I hope that is just for 4 months. Another dealer about 20 miles away (very small) has 0 (zero) for allocation and I would hope that is only the first 4 months as they signed up for EOP and spent their money. This is the kind of car that at least one should be available to any size dealer. There are a lot of folks out in the countryside who want one but won't deal with big city dealers.

Horrible assumption is that even if a dealer has an allocation of 20 cars for the year and he gets 30 solid deposits for orders to be built, he can still only get 20. :brentil:

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have said this before, and I believe now more than ever that the 20K number that many here said stood for total production was not correct. It was only a number that GM needed to produce to turn a profit on the platform. Remember when Lori Queen was talking about the Kappa being the "Key" for a low volume, but profitable platform?
There will be many more than 20K made. The Del. plant will be set up to be flexiable and make whichever Kappa is needed in whatever volume is required. If by chance they have more buyers for the world-wide Kappa's all the better for GM. It's about time for them to have some good news to report, but it's way too early for that!

·
Registered
31 Posts
achieftain said:
Allocation numbers will tell the story. Hopefully numbers given to dealer are only for first four months. My dealer has 5 and I hope that is just for 4 months. Another dealer about 20 miles away (very small) has 0 (zero) for allocation and I would hope that is only the first 4 months as they signed up for EOP and spent their money. This is the kind of car that at least one should be available to any size dealer. There are a lot of folks out in the countryside who want one but won't deal with big city dealers.

Horrible assumption is that even if a dealer has an allocation of 20 cars for the year and he gets 30 solid deposits for orders to be built, he can still only get 20. :brentil:

I am one of the people who went to a smaller dealer to try for the EOP. I am on the waiting list. I placed the order & gave the deposit but they have 0 allocated for the 1st 4 months. I will just wait it out & see if they can get one for me although it is disapointing to not know when they will get the allocation to place the order. They put it in as #1 priority as a sold order but don't seem to know much about when it can be placed.

·
Registered
338 Posts
brentil said:
This was defined previously a little more in detail. I was excited about this as well. Apparently it's DEALERS only though. :(
I think that might have been me. GM is planning a "Ride & Drive" through 28 cities for salespeople, starting in late Jun-Jul. Both the SOL & Torrent will be there, then there is a 50 question test on both afterwards.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Chip said:
I have said this before, and I believe now more than ever that the 20K number that many here said stood for total production was not correct. It was only a number that GM needed to produce to turn a profit on the platform. Remember when Lori Queen was talking about the Kappa being the "Key" for a low volume, but profitable platform?
There will be many more than 20K made. The Del. plant will be set up to be flexiable and make whichever Kappa is needed in whatever volume is required. If by chance they have more buyers for the world-wide Kappa's all the better for GM. It's about time for them to have some good news to report, but it's way too early for that!
Don't forget that there could be a limiting factor in producing Solstices, and that is the hydroformed body panels. Pontiac has led us to believe that the tooling for the body panels can only make X number of cars a day/month/year, and that the volume is considerably lower than what could be done with stamped steel. Also, this car is going to be partially assembled by hand, with many welds done by hand, which also greatly reduces the speed at which they can be produced. I'm not saying they cannot make over 20K, but they may not be able to churn them out as fast as you expect too.

I think they better speed the Sky along to production to help soak up some of the roadster demand. Since the underpinnings and engine are identical to the Sol, it shouldn't be that hard to speed it along.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Don't forget that there could be a limiting factor in producing Solstices, and that is the hydroformed body panels. Pontiac has led us to believe that the tooling for the body panels can only make X number of cars a day/month/year, and that the volume is considerably lower than what could be done with stamped steel. Also, this car is going to be partially assembled by hand, with many welds done by hand, which also greatly reduces the speed at which they can be produced. I'm not saying they cannot make over 20K, but they may not be able to churn them out as fast as you expect too.

I think they better speed the Sky along to production to help soak up some of the roadster demand. Since the underpinnings and engine are identical to the Sol, it shouldn't be that hard to speed it along.
Lets just hope the Union Contract does not expire soon :rolleyes: If so we will have ALLOT longer before we get our car :devil:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Rickady88GT said:
Lets just hope the Union Contract does not expire soon :rolleyes: If so we will have ALLOT longer before we get our car :devil:
The current UAW contract will remain in affect for a few more years. I forget its exact expiration, but I know they are currently in the middle of it.

GM does want to re-open it and negotiate in some health care concessions. However, the union is opposed to that. So there could potentially be some labor strife. However, I haven't seen anything to indicate that could lead to a work stoppage yet.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yah, thats all I need is to order my Kappa just to see the news tell me they went on strike and no end in sight. But that would be my luck.
But they are probably happy about building the Sol and look forward to going to work anyway :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
how many Miatas are now sold per year? 9500. How many were sold the first year the Miata came out? 51,000. GM can't build production facilities to accomodate this kind of swing in volume.

If the Solstice can outsell the Miata - that will be a huge accomplishment. 20K units per year will be plenty. I think some of the enthusiasm here about this car (rightly so) is getting a little carried away - this is still a niche market with relatively few buyers.

·
Registered
114 Posts
and I will add - look what is happening with the XLR and SSR now. the initial craze does not last. people were predicting a 2 year wait to get a C6 at MSRP - they were going for under MSRP almost immediately.

·
Registered
9 Posts
20,000 is probably going to be right. I doubt they'll sell all the ones that they have at the lots. The Firebirds were selling a year and a half after they were discontinued as new.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts