Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
@JohnWR I like the way that you're thinking.

·
Super Moderator
5,951 Posts
Of course, you still have to worry about what you are blasting off, and a chunk of that could cause some serious problems.

·
Super Moderator
5,951 Posts
Will that work? Novel idea.
We use dry ice blasting regularly to clean equipment, but have it done by a professional cleaning company.
I doubt that you can just dump a bunch of ice chips in a conventional bead blaster, however I have never looked into it so maybe you can.

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
I've got it:

Cut the valves in half, drill & tap both halves and put a piece of threaded rod in there. Next time you need to clean them, just unscrew the things and either replace or dump them in a bucked of solvent for a day.

What could possibly go wrong? :D

·
Super Moderator
5,951 Posts
I've got it:

Cut the valves in half, drill & tap both halves and put a piece of threaded rod in there. Next time you need to clean them, just unscrew the things and either replace or dump them in a bucked of solvent for a day.

What could possibly go wrong? :D
Sounds promising. Are you going to try it and let us know how it works out?

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
Could try it on the '06. :) Engine #5 might be a new record.

But, I think I'll let the GXP be for the moment.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I only run 91 octane (highest available in Denver) and high quality gas. - that should be fine
I am tuned to the edge an MUST run 93. If I get anything less, I know it....That's why I really can't travel out of state with my car. :(

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
Those are both pretty small engines for a car that size. Odd.

·
Super Moderator
15,966 Posts
The BMW hybrid is a failure. It cant be driven at highway speeds up hill. It turns off the AC automatically to preserve battery power. The gas engine is undersized and cant power the car sufficient to allow it to operate normally. Last I read, they had stopped selling them and were doing considerable rework to make them a more viable car. Same engine in this hybrid? Interesting

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Those are both pretty small engines for a car that size. Odd.
The BMW hybrid is a failure. It cant be driven at highway speeds up hill. It turns off the AC automatically to preserve battery power. The gas engine is undersized and cant power the car sufficient to allow it to operate normally. Last I read, they had stopped selling them and were doing considerable rework to make them a more viable car. Same engine in this hybrid? Interesting
The difference with the Karma is that the engine is only a generator to charge the batteries -it does not power the wheels directly. As such it operates (when it is on) at a constant rev point in the peak of the power band. Apparently the GM Ecotec engines were too thrashy and they decided to switch to the BWM for more quietness/smoothness.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Well today I received the ATK LDK engine that I purchased for $1,900. I paid for it on Monday of this week and Tuesday I got a text message from R+L Shipping Co to schedule a delivery, with Wednesday being the first option. The engine was crated up really well.

I also bought a JNR cam with the 20% increase in the fuel lobe.

The engine came with Opel injectors which are e85 compliant.

So....I have the cam and I have the injectors, which seem to be the two common things that are needed to run an e85 tune.

Does anyone know what bolts are TTY when changing the cam/removing timing chain cover? Is the flywheel bolt? I saw that the cam gear is TTY as well as a timing chain tensioner, but are there any others?

For those that are HPTuner Savy:

I have an idea how it works after quite a bit of research but I'm still a little fuzzy on things.

The MPVI2 is $299 and credits are $50 each - do I need anything else?
PAW Dave will do a tune for $375 via HPTuner. I know I have to tune the car to work with the Opel injectors that the engine came with, prior to running the engine. @raygun you mentioned that you may have numbers to plug in to support this. How does that work? By purchasing credits does that mean that I can adjust all the numbers that I want and then save them when I'm done and then I get to keep that one particular tune file? Can I load and unload as many tunes as I want to purchase? I really would like to datalog since I live at elevation with 91 being the highest octane (not counting e85's increased octane trickery) and then have someone look and tell me what to do, which is precisely what Dave would do - would it be better to defer to the strong HPTuner forum members instead?

I wish I was dropping an LS engine in, instead of a LDK =(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
So, for HP Tuners:

Credits are tied to the car's VIN *and* the HP Tuners interface (MPVI) based on its serial number. Once you use the credits for that car, you can re-flash it as many times as you want as long as you're using the same interface. (Some people call it a "cable," but it's really an embedded computer that plugs into the OBD-2 port.) You can switch PCs, etc. as many times as you want, reflash all you want, as long as it's the same physical interface and same VIN.

For the Opel Injectors:

When editing the calibration in the HPT VCM Editor application, set the Injector Constant (under Injector Control / Flow Rate) to 0.02471.

Under [ECM]12308 - Injector Offset vs Pressure Delta vs IGNV, you'll find a table labeled "Pressure Drop (MPa)." It's a table with 12 columns and one row. Set the following values

Column | Value
0.2 | 0.0420
0.4 | 0.0420
0.8 | 0.0450
1.4 | 0.0480
2.3 | 0.0510
3.5 | 0.0530
5.0 | 0.0560
7.5 | 0.0590
10.0 | 0.0620
12.5 | 0.0770
15.0 | 0.0920
18.0 | 0.0950

Or, see the attached image. (Courtesy of the nice guys at ZZP.)

I've had better experience with Dave Gilbert's tunes than with some other vendors. Also, his tunes are not locked, which is a Very Good Thing. Even though you've already put quite a bit of cash into this, I think the $375 for Dave's tune is worth it. I just installed the big wheel K04 from Werks yesterday along with their tune. The performance difference is substantial.

If you get a tune from any vendor, make sure you tell them that you're running an LDK with the Opel injectors. They should make the required changes in the tune before they send you the first round. Dave will have you drive and log some stuff, send the logs to him, and he'll make whatever changes are required and iterate.

For E85, the tune has to be adjusted, and I think you need the right HPFP if the LDK didn't come with it. I've seen quite a few mentions of using the C7 Corvette HPFP, but I haven't gone down that path yet so others would be more qualified to answer. If you can get the part number off of the HPFP on your new engine, you can look that up to see if it's E85 (or "flex fuel") compatible. If so, it should be fine.

Attachments

61 - 76 of 76 Posts