Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the Solstice family bought a 2007 GXP with 100,000 miles.
The car wasn't perfect but drove strong and my wife really had her heart set on it.
I noticed after taking delivery that the car would over heat intermittently. Noticed coolant light on and coolant was low added coolant light went off.

We found that the cooling fan was bad so we had it replaced along with spark plugs, oil and the differential fluids.

After getting it home my wife let me drive it for the second time. I noticed under heavy acceleration it would throw a misfire code. She tells me "oh yeah its done that since we drove it the first time i thought it was the coolant light. "
So I got new Ignition coils and put them on and this has resolved the issue.

All and all it seems to be fine now and driving strong.

I paid $6,450 for the car. Should I have paid less or are all these issues to be expected with a solstice in this price range?

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
The car wasn't perfect but drove strong and my wife really had her heart set on it.
I noticed after taking delivery that the car would over heat intermittently. Noticed coolant light on and coolant was low added coolant light went off.

We found that the cooling fan was bad so we had it replaced along with spark plugs, oil and the differential fluids.

After getting it home my wife let me drive it for the second time. I noticed under heavy acceleration it would throw a misfire code. She tells me "oh yeah its done that since we drove it the first time i thought it was the coolant light. "

I paid $6,450 for the car. Should I have paid less or are all these issues to be expected with a solstice in this price range?
Not a bad price. Those items are not unusual for 100k. Next thing to go, just guessing since the coolant was low, might be the water pump. when you park the car, look for drips or a puddle on the ground at the forward passenger side of the engine. You might also check to see if recalls were done, particularly the passenger presence sensor and the ignition switch. If they haven't been done, they are free at your dealership.

Welcome to the forum and have fun!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Leaks found so far. how hard is it to change the water pump? The engine bay seems fairly easy to work on compared to my VW and Mitsubishi

·
Registered
6,978 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
8 Posts
That was an outrageous price! Bring it to me and I will refund your money! Just kidding. I looked for long time last year and never found anything decent at that price.

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Base Sols w/100,00 are in the 3 to 5K price range. Add 1K to 1500K for a GXP, so you're in the ballpark. Basically figure that anything that moves & wears might be worth checking out, except eletronics which make their own rules.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Welcome Superfly to the forum & glad you were able to solve your problems with the car. Enjoy your new ride .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Late last year, when I was researching the 2006 Solstice Base for purchase I made an informal observation that prices starting at $10,000 for Sols with ~ 50,000 miles (+/-) seemed to price drop at an incremental rate of $1,000 per additional 10,000 miles. Therefore, by my measure it appears that your car was priced a bit on the high side of my "ball park" target prices. If your car was well maintained, only driving and future repairs will determine if your purchase was a good deal or not. My opinion based on experience is that you should put about $4,500 aside for repairs and just enjoy your "new" car. There are some good threads in this regard in General Discussion relative to looking to buy a Solstice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
100,000 miles sounds like it will need the intake valves cleaned , they tend to get a lot of carbon build up due to the engine being Direct Injected. Its a pain to do or have done but will improve performance . Check out Direct injection video's on You Tube they explain the whole process. Good luck with the new ride!

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Welcome to the forum - there are years of maintenance tips on here.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Not a bad price......its a question of were you willing to pay more for fewer miles....if that was your budget good for you. I think you're in for a water pump though if its dripping and running hot. Over 195 or so

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Ballpark for your car. You should look at the following items with that mileage:

change all fluids
clean intake valves (walnut blasting only will work. Don't try spray cleaners...nothing touches the valves in a GDI engine)
Waterpump if it hasn't been done (about $900-$1200 at a dealer)
Thermostat if it hasn't been done (about $600-$900 at a dealer)
Battery depending on age
Timing chain may need to eventually be replaced...(about $2200 at a dealer)

·
Registered
51 Posts
No Leaks found so far. how hard is it to change the water pump? The engine bay seems fairly easy to work on compared to my VW and Mitsubishi
Waterpump is easy peasy .. I have a post.. Under 1 hr.. the tool to lock the pump gear to the timing chain is under $20 bucks. 3 bolts for the gear, 3 for the pump.. and to release the pipe to the pump 2 bolts to remove the thermostat..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts